Christians

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    WHOA! Some sanity here....

This entire debacle has taken a life of it's own.....

So with a calm mind, and a glass of your favorite beverage..

This is what it's all about:

--------
    Re:
    (per Winter Marie)

"someone brought on board a "sermon" by a preacher, to which I replied,
    I didn't believe in that "crapola" anymore, but more power to those that did.
    My words were listed as "OFFENSIVE" and removed."

--------

The issue isn't what anyone believes in, or doesn't believe in.

The issue was in the verbiage: "crapola" to describe
    someone else's belief.

And in that context, "crapola" is offensive.

I'm sure Winter Marie didn't intend the verbiage to be offensive,
    since she was simply trying to convey her personal feeling and
    beliefs, not knock other's personal beliefs.........

Typing to a forum is difficult, and no-one can do so and get the
    "feelings" right every time..... "crapola" happens, and when it does,
    usually a quick apology can settle the dust.

John
  • dead horse gettin beat here...
    Kathy, you missed the point AGAIN. Neither you nor I are the judge of what is offensive to someone else. Whether you think it was offensive or not is irrelevant to the situation. I used Marie's own word "crapola" in my response and if that was indeed used in the context of describing organized religion then it was neither "polite" nor "to the point". That slang is used to insult or demean someone else's choice of belief and is hardly supportive in the intent of this forum. Religion is not the issue here but respect and courtesy granted others feelings and beliefs. While I am not fat I can certainly understand someone being overweight taking offense at that word. And you should agree, while I don't have blonde hair, it is easy to understand using "dumb blonde" as an adjective would be hurtfull or insulting thus common courtesy would keep most from using those words. How is it then you can't see an insulting use of language directed toward a person's belief system? This is a public forum and someone has the responsibility of monitoring what is said. It just so happens that religion is a touchy subject and should be treated accordingly.
    This post titled "Christians" is directed at one specific religious group and that in itself could be offending.(saying that Christians are intolerant and embrace censorship) If Marie did not try to offend Christianity then why is this post directed at Christians only and not titled "Religion and censorship"?

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Missed it
    Apparently I missed that whole thread. And I'm glad. I'm really kind of tired of the controversy. I'm a Christian, and you will see that I often mention I'm going to pray for someone. If they indicate they don't want that, I won't say it to them again.

Anyway, I'm here because once upon a time I was a new cancer patient, scared and worried and needing to talk to people who were in the same boat. Sometimes I still feel just as scared and worried as I did, and this group is always here for me.

I'm sometimes tempted to quit the board because of the controversy, but it always seems to blow over. Let's just all settle down and be friends. We NEED each other.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    PGLGreg said:

Belief.
    I'm sorry if you were censored. I am totally against censorship. The believers among us are fearful and defensive. They cannot tolerate the free expression of opinion. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

--Greg

I was the person who posted
    I was the person who posted it because it can help some and I have received 6 pm of thanks. I tried very hard to show some sensitivity and would gladly read any denominations posting. I did not find what you wrote offensive or say anything. As a 4 year (5 surgery and chemo) survivor, I understand the pain and stress all this can cause. My intent was to provide a sermon from a pastor who's 6 year old daughter just had a recurrence. His words of comfort were available only to those who went to the site. I did not post the transcript. Best to all on here
    Chip
  • Left Coaster
    Left Coaster Member Posts: 25
    tootsie1 said:

Missed it
    Apparently I missed that whole thread. And I'm glad. I'm really kind of tired of the controversy. I'm a Christian, and you will see that I often mention I'm going to pray for someone. If they indicate they don't want that, I won't say it to them again.

Anyway, I'm here because once upon a time I was a new cancer patient, scared and worried and needing to talk to people who were in the same boat. Sometimes I still feel just as scared and worried as I did, and this group is always here for me.

I'm sometimes tempted to quit the board because of the controversy, but it always seems to blow over. Let's just all settle down and be friends. We NEED each other.

*hugs*
    Gail

Making Assumptions is offensive
    Thanks Chip for acknowledging your post. I didn't find the fact that you posted a link to a sermon disrespectful. In fact I appreciate that you went out of your way to tell us what that link is so that we could choose whether or not to view it. I normally don't discuss religion or politics for the same reason that people here are feeling hurt, disrespected or misunderstood.

We all feel like we have the right to say what we think and, in public, we do for the most part (yelling fire in a theatre and the like being exceptions). Winter Marie offered up her opinion from her own personal experience. Others have suggested that we need to be sensitive to other groups and their religious, sexual, political and any other identification or belief, and I agree.

Gail by her own admission says that she is going to pray for someone and, if they indicate they don't want that, she won't say it to them again.

Have you, Gail, been censored for your actions above? I, myself, find it offensive that you, or anyone for that matter, would assume that I share the same or similar views on such a personal topic. Why not ask before you make such a self serving statement? I have only had one (1) person, one, since I have been diagnosed, ever ask me if it is ok that they pray for me. I gladly gave her permission to do so. Should I be so lucky to have all these other people who "care" about me that they don't first take the time to find out what my religious views are, if any? I don't visit the spiritual board as this is not what I am here for. Common sense is not so common, and respect for others is sometimes hard to find.

If you have any questions about what I have posted here I am happy to respond to you via PM.

Ryan
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731

Maybe a technical thing
    I have no idea how this board is set up, but coming from a computer background, it may be that if the original message is deleted (regardless of reason) that any attached messages to that thread are deleted as well by the system, not a person.

Marie

Deleted by the system?
    Computer systems are not ethically responsible for their actions. Not yet, anyway. After all, it is people who chose the forum system, people who programmed it, people who administer and maintain it. When a posting is deleted, is it reasonable to hold the computer program responsible and absolve the people involved? I don't think so. I wanted to refer to a great comedian of our time, **** van ****, for some reason, I can't recall why, and the reference was mangled automatically by the forum software. Isn't that dumb? I protested, but no one else seemed to care.

I really don't like censorship.

--Greg
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254

From one Chris to another
    Again, the point is missed. I understand you wrote your reply before reading mine but the point here is NOT what you or I believe but respecting the beliefs of others. You felt you wanted to give your personal view of religion. Unnecessary to the purpous of this disscussion forum. Marie's comment was not "censored" for her beliefs but for the disrespect it conveyed to others beliefs. That IS offensive and anyone that does not see that is blinded by their own bigotry. You can not insult someone's religion by calling it "crapola" and think it's fine by saying "MORE POWER TO YOU". Religion and beliefs have NOTHING to do with a comment being disrespectfull to others. I could easily say the same thing for bikers such as myself and you. There's nothing like hitting the open road. Add on "on a REAL bike (AKA Harley) as long as you don't have to deal with all the "rice burners" out there", and it takes on a different intent. A statement like that is unnecessary in it's intent. Would you sympothise with me if that was "censored"? You as well have gone beyond what is necessary to the conversation by stating "a small minority of people who through their own self rightousness can not tolerate the belief of others". That is an insulting statement throwing in a dig at outward religous people. You and Greg and Marie and many others on here are still missing the purpous of "religous" postings. Most religous posts are here for comfort and to help people that feel the same. They are NOT placed on here to convert you or turn you into a bible thumper. If you dissagree, so be it why do you feel compelled to tell everyone you don't believe the same. Instead, simply start your own post with your views, without referencing the other post, and let it be. There is NO cencorship on this board due to "beliefs" only due to lack of respect and in many cases, common sense.

point taken I understand
    I do understand what you are saying. and like you said i posted before your response. I get it. Its the verbage not the message. Although posting what I posted is not "irrelavant", as you say to Marie, and that is who I was talking to. And as far as why I "felt it neccessary" to give my beliefs, maybe I was doing what the original poster was doing, providing a kindered spirit with the knowledge that she is not alone. and in showing her this, like the original poster I provided comfort to her in the same way he did by posting the sermon. If I disrespected you our any other person on here it was not my intent, and I apologize for doing so, I was trying to let her know she was not alone. In other words my "opinion" matters in regard to Marie, who I was respinding to, as much as the original post was meant only for those who would benefit from it.
    hope this finds ya smilin'
    Chris
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

Thanks Chip for acknowledging your post. I didn't find the fact that you posted a link to a sermon disrespectful. In fact I appreciate that you went out of your way to tell us what that link is so that we could choose whether or not to view it. I normally don't discuss religion or politics for the same reason that people here are feeling hurt, disrespected or misunderstood.

We all feel like we have the right to say what we think and, in public, we do for the most part (yelling fire in a theatre and the like being exceptions). Winter Marie offered up her opinion from her own personal experience. Others have suggested that we need to be sensitive to other groups and their religious, sexual, political and any other identification or belief, and I agree.

Gail by her own admission says that she is going to pray for someone and, if they indicate they don't want that, she won't say it to them again.

Have you, Gail, been censored for your actions above? I, myself, find it offensive that you, or anyone for that matter, would assume that I share the same or similar views on such a personal topic. Why not ask before you make such a self serving statement? I have only had one (1) person, one, since I have been diagnosed, ever ask me if it is ok that they pray for me. I gladly gave her permission to do so. Should I be so lucky to have all these other people who "care" about me that they don't first take the time to find out what my religious views are, if any? I don't visit the spiritual board as this is not what I am here for. Common sense is not so common, and respect for others is sometimes hard to find.

If you have any questions about what I have posted here I am happy to respond to you via PM.

Ryan

Again
    I have been on this board for awhile and have seen this stuff/topic come and go...... I left once due to the sensitivity others have when you talk about God and prayer But I came back, because frankly, I really don't care if writing of my beliefs pisses others off. I will say what I have to say. If I am censored, I will just move on! Ooops. Life is too short to stress because someone tagged me. And... I don't care if one writes that they don't believe in prayer, whatever, just don't tip my boat over!

Everyone believe what you want and heal!

God Bless, Great vibes, awesome energy, you pick!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    PGLGreg said:

Deleted by the system?
    Computer systems are not ethically responsible for their actions. Not yet, anyway. After all, it is people who chose the forum system, people who programmed it, people who administer and maintain it. When a posting is deleted, is it reasonable to hold the computer program responsible and absolve the people involved? I don't think so. I wanted to refer to a great comedian of our time, **** van ****, for some reason, I can't recall why, and the reference was mangled automatically by the forum software. Isn't that dumb? I protested, but no one else seemed to care.

--Greg

Seems like certain words or parts of words,like raccoon ,
    the animal with rings around its eyes,like a coati,get censored,like **** van **** but not van diike....As for religion,I remain mute.....

Raccoon was once deleted on me before....
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Nana b said:

Again
    I have been on this board for awhile and have seen this stuff/topic come and go...... I left once due to the sensitivity others have when you talk about God and prayer But I came back, because frankly, I really don't care if writing of my beliefs pisses others off. I will say what I have to say. If I am censored, I will just move on! Ooops. Life is too short to stress because someone tagged me. And... I don't care if one writes that they don't believe in prayer, whatever, just don't tip my boat over!

How can we quibble over words or religion? You think our cancer
    cells give a sheit what we believe or say? Are we not adults who can choose what to read or not to read, what to respond to or ignore or stop reading if found to be offensive? Cancer taking lives is offensive, some of what is posted here I'd rather not comment on but that does not deprive you of your right to state your opinions, beliefs,etc. If I disagree I can say so or ignore you but no need for me to censor you.......Solely my opinion of course but what do I know?

If those trying something new, against the grain,contrary to popular belief and custom and get censored, persecuted or killed , we'd never have a cure for any disease........
  • Nana b said:

Again

• imagineit2010
    imagineit2010 Member Posts: 152 Member
    unknown said:

Sorry hun, wasn't trying to
    Sorry hun, wasn't trying to insult you or pick on you but it kinda came out that way. Just frustrated that "relgion" kept coming up when censorship was the issue. I just threw out something that is obviously offensive to some people just like the word "crapola" could be. I would have brought up a sports team scenario but I know how touchy THAT subject can be.....Please take care,
    Chris
    If you're a feminist I apologize for using Hun......
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    PGLGreg said:

Deleted by the system?

--Greg

7 words you can't say on the internet
    There are many more than 7. Any word that has letters that would be in a link that has an image are not allowed either. It's a drag but it's to help prevent people from name calling in the case **** Van ---- and the bandit animal. As far as the images, I think that they might take up server space since it would have to store the images. Of course, computers are not smart or dumb, it's just how they are programmed.

Back to deleting a post, I have no problem what so ever with deleting one I start. I feel it's my right to do so. If all responses are deleted too, well that's show biz. There have been times when I've made a comment that was part of a thread that someone else deleted but if there is something I wrote that I really want to keep, I save it.

I don't care for censorship either but this isn't censorship. This is following guidelines set up by an organization that owns and operates a website. This isn't a forum for posting whatever we want to post about whatever topic we choose to. There are things called blogs that anyone with access to a computer can create and post whatever they want. Of course, you have to follow the guidelines that the host of the blog set up.

So I guess the really only free speech we have is to stand in the town square on a soapbox and express our views. Provided we do not instigate a riot or something like that.
  • PGLGreg
    PhillieG said:

7 words you can't say on the internet
    There are many more than 7. Any word that has letters that would be in a link that has an image are not allowed either. It's a drag but it's to help prevent people from name calling in the case **** Van ---- and the bandit animal. As far as the images, I think that they might take up server space since it would have to store the images. Of course, computers are not smart or dumb, it's just how they are programmed.

Back to deleting a post, I have no problem what so ever with deleting one I start. I feel it's my right to do so. If all responses are deleted too, well that's show biz. There have been times when I've made a comment that was part of a thread that someone else deleted but if there is something I wrote that I really want to keep, I save it.

I don't care for censorship either but this isn't censorship. This is following guidelines set up by an organization that owns and operates a website. This isn't a forum for posting whatever we want to post about whatever topic we choose to. There are things called blogs that anyone with access to a computer can create and post whatever they want. Of course, you have to follow the guidelines that the host of the blog set up.

So I guess the really only free speech we have is to stand in the town square on a soapbox and express our views. Provided we do not instigate a riot or something like that.

censorship - "Act of
    censorship - "Act of changing or suppressing speech or writing that is considered subversive of the common good." (from Britannica Concise Encyclopedia)

Occasionally I see the word censorship used to refer only to governmental censorship, but it is usually used in a broader sense. It would be better, for the sake of clarity, to keep separate the question of whether deletion of posts on a public forum counts as censorship from the issues of whether it is legal, permissible, commonplace, or commendable.

--Greg
  • Making Assumptions is offensive

Ryan

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    PGLGreg said:

Deleted by the system?

--Greg

Another misunderstanding
    I did not mean to say that the original "questionalble" post was being deleted by the system. Rather, I meant that once the original post is deleted (by human I assume), then it is possible that the system will delete all attached to that original post. Has to do with database construction.

Marie who loves kitties
  • sharpy102
    sharpy102 Member Posts: 368 Member
    tootsie1 said:

Missed it

*hugs*
    Gail

I agree...
    @Gail: I agree with you on the part that we should all be friend, religious, or not, claiming a God, or not...that's just as a difference, as someone is blond, the other one is brown, the third one is red haired. Nothing more. And maybe, (me being brown) I cannot imagine myself being blond, and don't even want to and feel I would look weird...there's no problem for the other one being blond. I feel religion belongs to the same category. I'm brown, he/she's blond. I'm not religious, he/she is. And? What about it? Nothing. If you pray for me, I don't care, that's fine. I know that's your way of wishing me the best...I cross my fingers (and toes) for people instead of praying for them. And? What about that? Nothing. That is MY way of wishing all the best to people. There's no problem about it. Everybody expresses their best wishes to the others in different ways...and as Babs211 says, she prays for people in her church and not just for people who are exclusively Catholics, but to people who need the "best wish". She puts it in prayers..that's fine! Who cares?! She has good intentions, and I'm glad she is praying for people. I'm sticking with crossing my fingers....although my fingers are becoming waaaaay to numb, so I might have to switch some other type of methods to wish my best to everybody on this board....gotta think about this...:)
    So, don't leave! I also need you here...I need all of you here, one by one with your unique being, the way you are, the background you have etc. You guys are FAMILY now! Each of you! :)
    Take care, and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUUUUUUUCK! :)
    - Sophie
  • PGLGreg

Another misunderstanding
    I did not mean to say that the original "questionalble" post was being deleted by the system. Rather, I meant that once the original post is deleted (by human I assume), then it is possible that the system will delete all attached to that original post. Has to do with database construction.

Marie who loves kitties

I understood you, Marie.
    I understood you, Marie. But there is nothing about a database that could make it impossible to delete an original post without also deleting other posts linked to it. The person who programmed the deletion procedure is the one responsible, or his/her boss, not the computer system or the database construction.

--Greg
  • tootsie1

Ryan

Okay
    Ryan,

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember seeing you here before, and I apologize if I have not greeted you before. I see that you are a new member. I'm glad you've found a place for lots of good information and support, despite the things being thrown around at the present time.

No, I have not been censored, and I will be surprised if I am. I've tried to stay as non-controversial as I can. I'm not assuming you or anyone else here shares my exact same beliefs. I'm just stating that I'm a praying person, and I will pray for those who seem to need it here. I promise you, if I pray for you, I will not make it a public show or anything. As for putting quotes marks around people who "care" about you, that seems to imply that I don't really care. You are so wrong. I have cried over the people on this board many times, because I wish I had some magic potion that would heal us all for now and forever more.

What I don't do is quote scriptures or say anyone is doomed to you know where if they don't share my beliefs. I am very sorry if you think I'm a hypocrite or some sort of despicable person. I can't really do anything about that, although it does hurt my feelings a bit.

I'm sorry you have cancer. I'm sorry we've all been touched by the beast.

Gail
  • tootsie1
    sharpy102 said:

I agree...
    @Gail: I agree with you on the part that we should all be friend, religious, or not, claiming a God, or not...that's just as a difference, as someone is blond, the other one is brown, the third one is red haired. Nothing more. And maybe, (me being brown) I cannot imagine myself being blond, and don't even want to and feel I would look weird...there's no problem for the other one being blond. I feel religion belongs to the same category. I'm brown, he/she's blond. I'm not religious, he/she is. And? What about it? Nothing. If you pray for me, I don't care, that's fine. I know that's your way of wishing me the best...I cross my fingers (and toes) for people instead of praying for them. And? What about that? Nothing. That is MY way of wishing all the best to people. There's no problem about it. Everybody expresses their best wishes to the others in different ways...and as Babs211 says, she prays for people in her church and not just for people who are exclusively Catholics, but to people who need the "best wish". She puts it in prayers..that's fine! Who cares?! She has good intentions, and I'm glad she is praying for people. I'm sticking with crossing my fingers....although my fingers are becoming waaaaay to numb, so I might have to switch some other type of methods to wish my best to everybody on this board....gotta think about this...:)
    So, don't leave! I also need you here...I need all of you here, one by one with your unique being, the way you are, the background you have etc. You guys are FAMILY now! Each of you! :)
    Take care, and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD LUUUUUUUCK! :)
    - Sophie

Thanks
    Thank you, Sophie.

*hugs*
    Gail