OT: Dog alerted us to ant invasion!

Marcia527
Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This is off topic of cancer but wanted to share.
Our son put the soaker house along the back of the house and we were all sitting in the living room. The dog went to the door like she had to go out and she saw me looking. She jumped at the door. She'd never done that before and I thought she really had to go bad so I jumped up as fast as I could. I didn't notice that she had backed away from the door instead of attempting to run through the door. I swung the door open and the storm door was swarming with fire ants! All over the inside door also. My son had flooded their hive and they were moving their eggs. My husband took the front line and I watched his back for escapees. It took us a couple of hours to clean them up. I'm just glad it was not dark out. Thanks to our dog we got them before they transfered eggs inside the house.

Comments

• SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    xxoo
    Good dog! Good dog!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

xxoo
    Good dog! Good dog!!!

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

dogs are the best!

dogs are the best!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Smart Dog!!
    I love these types of stories where animals intervene for the safety of people!

I'm sure he got a good treat!!

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    sea60 said:

Smart Dog!!
    I love these types of stories where animals intervene for the safety of people!

I'm sure he got a good treat!!

Blessings,

Sylvia

Good Fido
    Give that dog a bone. Those ants sure can get some work done.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Good Fido
    Give that dog a bone. Those ants sure can get some work done.

You have a very smart dog
    Cool story! Dogs are very sensitive and had good intuition.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    LASSIE MODE!
    Sounds like you pooch was taking care of his family!

Ahhhh,

RE
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    RE said:

LASSIE MODE!
    Sounds like you pooch was taking care of his family!

Ahhhh,

RE

Hero Dog, Man's Best Friend

Over the years, we've had a few dogs, but only one would alert us to perceived dangers. Our dear Molly had a peculiar pitched bark whenever there was something she didn't like. She warned us about scorpions, centipeded and spiders. We knew when we heard this frantic sound that there was something she wanted us to know about.

Your doggie deserves a medal! I hope he got something good for dessert that day!
  • Marcia527
    We didn't give her a treat
    We didn't give her a treat right away because it was chaos for awhile. But she will get a reward, just won't know that's what it is. She loves rides and DQ ice cream cone. Sometimes we give her the bottom of the cone and sometimes order a dry cone for her. Haven't been taking her out much lately because it's too hot and the air in the car doesn't work real good.

She hates the UPS guy! Don't know why.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Marcia527 said:

We didn't give her a treat right away because it was chaos for awhile. But she will get a reward, just won't know that's what it is. She loves rides and DQ ice cream cone. Sometimes we give her the bottom of the cone and sometimes order a dry cone for her. Haven't been taking her out much lately because it's too hot and the air in the car doesn't work real good.

Memories
    Marcia you reminded that I used to always give my beautiful old black lab Buck the bottom half of my "snow white" ice cream cones, he loved them! Thanks for reminding me good old Buck has been gone for a decade but his memories live on.

Hugs,

RE
  • Marcia527
    RE said:

Memories
    Marcia you reminded that I used to always give my beautiful old black lab Buck the bottom half of my "snow white" ice cream cones, he loved them! Thanks for reminding me good old Buck has been gone for a decade but his memories live on.

Hugs,

RE

Thanks for clarifying that
    Thanks for clarifying that RE! I forgot that some DQ's have chocolate ice cream! Never give your dog chocolate, it's like poison for dogs!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Marcia527 said:

My mom's dog loved to go for
    My mom's dog loved to go for ice cream and if you said that you were taking her for ice cream she would run to the drawer with her leash and bark and bark. She would be so excited that they finally started spelling the word. It's not this was the only ride she went on and if you said let's go for a ride she wouldn't get that excited. Good thing she never learned to spell. LOL. She also hated anyone in ball caps. My brother would stop by after work in his work uniform and ball cap and she would bark and grr until he took it off. We think it's because she was a kennel pup and someone must have mistreated or frightened her and they wore a cap. So maybe your pup has a unfortunate brown uniform memory. Glad she was the family hero.
    Stef
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    doggy tricks
    I love it. I was never a dog person until my little stinker came along. I think he's the best dog on the planet. Thanks for the story, it warms the heart!
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    doggy tricks
    I love it. I was never a dog person until my little stinker came along. I think he's the best dog on the planet. Thanks for the story, it warms the heart!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

doggy tricks

Wonderful story about your dog .... I have 2 little
    stinkers -)) Bye the way, I hate ants ..and for some reason here in California that are invading our yard and home .. I am using Windex to kill them inside - I don't want to use any poison inside our home, as God only knows the amount of poison my body is still working it's way thru - chemo poison.

Vicki Sam
  • Marcia527
    VickiSam said:

Wonderful story about your dog .... I have 2 little
    stinkers -)) Bye the way, I hate ants ..and for some reason here in California that are invading our yard and home .. I am using Windex to kill them inside - I don't want to use any poison inside our home, as God only knows the amount of poison my body is still working it's way thru - chemo poison.

Vicki Sam

We don't use poison inside
    We don't use poison inside either. Not good for anyone. We use a soap solution made from dish soap- Joy. We put a little in a spray bottle and fill it with water. You not only get rid of the ants but clean the floor. I'll have to try the Windex next time. Maybe any soap would work. I used to use Fantastic but haven't used it in years.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Marcia527 said:

We don't use poison inside
    We don't use poison inside either. Not good for anyone. We use a soap solution made from dish soap- Joy. We put a little in a spray bottle and fill it with water. You not only get rid of the ants but clean the floor. I'll have to try the Windex next time. Maybe any soap would work. I used to use Fantastic but haven't used it in years.

Thanks .. Marcia 527 ...
    I'll try that ..anything to avoid the fumes of poison.

Vicki Sam