I'm curious to find out if you had CT scan when first dx.....

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My gyn felt the lump. Mammogram showed it as well as ultrasound. Onc surgeon took biopsy in his office. Then, I had breast MRI of both breasts to show location and size. Later a stereostatic biopsy of other breast. Not once have I had a CT scan of my chest or any other part of my body. How does the oncologist know if you might have cancer somewhere else besides the breast???
Char

Comments

• webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Hi
    I would ask my oncologist why he hasn't utilized, ct or better yet petct. When I was dxed, it was part of the battery of test run before any treatment plans were discussed. I actually wasn't seeing the onc. yet, it was the surgeon who ordered the dianostic tests.
    Hope that helped, God bless you!
    Alison
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hi, Char -
    I see on your profile that you had a bilateral mastectomy, but you didn't mention whether or not you had any positive lymph nodes?

If all the lymph nodes they tested during your surgery were negative, then I believe I understand correctly that there's a much lower risk of any cancer having escaped from the breast and gone on an expedition anywhere else in your body. The idea is that the lymph nodes are the most common "route of escape" from the breast.

Don't know if that helps?

Traci
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    My lump was picked up on
    My lump was picked up on mammo, had compression mammo, ultrasound, and then biopsy. After dx I had the MRI which I was told would show any other spots of cancer in either breast. I never had a CT scan until before I started rads. This is just my experience, hope it helps some. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    TraciInLA said:

Hi, Char -
    I see on your profile that you had a bilateral mastectomy, but you didn't mention whether or not you had any positive lymph nodes?

If all the lymph nodes they tested during your surgery were negative, then I believe I understand correctly that there's a much lower risk of any cancer having escaped from the breast and gone on an expedition anywhere else in your body. The idea is that the lymph nodes are the most common "route of escape" from the breast.

Don't know if that helps?

Traci

Thanks Traci
    that might be the answer I'm looking for. I had sentinel node plus 2 on bc (ILC) side and about 6 nodes from other side (LCIS) and all were clean. So the answer is no, I did not have any lymph node involvement. My thought process was that I might have already had some other cancer in my body. It's probably paranoia working overtime.....

When my sister-in-law was dx she had cancer in her ribs, collarbone and lung. It took awhile before a dr even dx her. Her only complaint was that it felt like she had a pinched nerve in her back. She did not have bc. She eventually got cancer in the brain and died 12 years ago after putting up a 10 year fight.

I have all kinds of aches and pains since I have osteoarthritis. So, how are we to know???
    Char
  • winsomebulldog
    winsomebulldog Member Posts: 117 Member
    I had CT
    Like you, my GYN found my lump. I had the ultrasound, followed by mammogram and then in-office biopsy as well. That revealed the cancer and my surgeon scheduled my lumpectomy soon after. The day before I had my surgery we did a CT to make sure there was no evidence of other cancer. I had no lymph node involvement, but my oncologist has still scheduled a bone scan just to be on the safe side. He's told me he doesn't expect to find anything since the CT and nodes were clear, but I'm glad he's being this thorough. The dx itself is enough to make you nuts. Having to sit there and worry that there might be a secondary site somewhere else is an unnecessary worry, IMHO. I'd ask for the CT or PET scan just for my own peace of mind.
    I understand your fears. My sister was diagnosed w/stage IV lung cancer with secondary tumors in one leg and her brain. Her only complaint was a back ache. We just never know, I guess. Like I said, ask your Dr. to order the scan just for your peace of mind. Or at least give you some strong explanation for why he/she doesn't think you need it.
    I hope your treatment goes smoothly and with minimal side effects.
    God Bless,
    Jenn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I had CT
    Like you, my GYN found my lump. I had the ultrasound, followed by mammogram and then in-office biopsy as well. That revealed the cancer and my surgeon scheduled my lumpectomy soon after. The day before I had my surgery we did a CT to make sure there was no evidence of other cancer. I had no lymph node involvement, but my oncologist has still scheduled a bone scan just to be on the safe side. He's told me he doesn't expect to find anything since the CT and nodes were clear, but I'm glad he's being this thorough. The dx itself is enough to make you nuts. Having to sit there and worry that there might be a secondary site somewhere else is an unnecessary worry, IMHO. I'd ask for the CT or PET scan just for my own peace of mind.
    I understand your fears. My sister was diagnosed w/stage IV lung cancer with secondary tumors in one leg and her brain. Her only complaint was a back ache. We just never know, I guess. Like I said, ask your Dr. to order the scan just for your peace of mind. Or at least give you some strong explanation for why he/she doesn't think you need it.
    I hope your treatment goes smoothly and with minimal side effects.
    God Bless,
    Jenn

I had a Ct and bone scan
    I had a Ct and bone scan even prior to the nodes. docs do it for staging purposes. but they are doing less and less tests now, and go by symptoms.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hi
    I would ask my oncologist why he hasn't utilized, ct or better yet petct. When I was dxed, it was part of the battery of test run before any treatment plans were discussed. I actually wasn't seeing the onc. yet, it was the surgeon who ordered the dianostic tests.
    Hope that helped, God bless you!
    Alison

My plastic surgeon also had
    My plastic surgeon also had me have a MRI, a CT scan and a PET scan to make sure there was no other cancer before surgery. I was like Alison, they were done to decide on my treatment and surgery, prior to anything being done.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Diagnostic Testing
    I feel like I had every test known to man before my final diagnosis. I had 2 mammograms, a breast MRI, an excision biopsy, an axillary dissection,a bronchoscopy, massive bloodwork, and a PET/CT scan. Ultimately I was diagnosed with Stage IIA triple negative breast cancer. Ended up with a right mastectomy, 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere.
  • lasimpson
    lasimpson Member Posts: 15

Diagnostic Testing
    I feel like I had every test known to man before my final diagnosis. I had 2 mammograms, a breast MRI, an excision biopsy, an axillary dissection,a bronchoscopy, massive bloodwork, and a PET/CT scan. Ultimately I was diagnosed with Stage IIA triple negative breast cancer. Ended up with a right mastectomy, 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere.

I found my lump / mammogram did NOT catch it
    Hi Char,

I found my lump. The mammogram did not show anything, during this appointment they also did an ultrasound. The dr. came it and said, "Eighty % of the time it is nothing". On the ultrasound, I could see exactly what I felt. The next step for me was a needle biopsy and the result was cancer. Went to a breast dr. and she did an MRI that same day to determine the size. Later, I met with the onc. and he sent me for the PET scan, which I believe I will have again after chemo. The onc. then made the recommendation for reconstruction vs. chemo first. Reconstruction failed, but that part is over and moving onto chemo.

Beside this awesome website to find information etc. I have found the care has been so awesome and helped with my overall attitude. I am thankful for both.

Good luck, Char, tomorrow is the first day. Take care, Laurel