On Vacation with a possible stupid question

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am into my second week of our 2 week vacation to wisconson. We are by the lake and my husband is really enjoying this trip. Fishing, drinking, relaxing. Before I left home my left wrist started to hurt. I did not think to much of this took some Aleve and it kinda helped a bit. The pain has be getting worse everyday. I did nothing to hurt myself. I don't want to ruin this trip, seeing last summer sucked as well with me in Chemo all summer. Tonight the pain is pretty bad. I guess my question is, Can cancer do this. I am kinda scared because there is no reason for this pain. What does bone cancer feel like ? I am sure I am thinking crazy here, but I am kinda scared and I don't want to ruin this trip but I am not sure I deal with this much longer. Omg it's the "what if "

Comments

• No stupid questions...
    Kat, I understand how scared you are. I know I have been in that "what if" place. I would suggest another dose of Aleve to get you through tonight and call and leave a message with your doctor's service as soon as you can. I'm assuming since you have internet that you have cell service, maybe ask to that he/she call you as it's urgent.

You are in my prayers.
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Oh-
    If there is one thing this diagnosis has taught me it is that I should never, ever ignore symptoms. You are the best judge of what is happening in you. No one wants to be a "Debbie Downer" I know that you are frightened of the what if, but, the "if only I would have" could be harder to take. Please do this for you and your loved ones. Keep us posted. xoxo, Jackie
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Contacting your doc is the
    Contacting your doc is the best idea to be sure it is not serious.

Are you taking Femara? It gives me a lot of joint pain. I take glucosamine and it seems to help.

The fear is always going to be there that the beast is going to return. The best that we can do is pay attention to our bodies and hopefully if it does return we will catch it early and beat the crap out if it. Walk softly but carry a big stick.

Prayers and hugs to you.

Donna
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member

Contacting your doc is the
    Contacting your doc is the best idea to be sure it is not serious.

Are you taking Femara? It gives me a lot of joint pain. I take glucosamine and it seems to help.

The fear is always going to be there that the beast is going to return. The best that we can do is pay attention to our bodies and hopefully if it does return we will catch it early and beat the crap out if it. Walk softly but carry a big stick.

Prayers and hugs to you.

Donna

Two week test
    Give yourself a two week test. You said Aleve is helping some. Maybe switch to Tylenol or Advil since you can keep the dosage going...Aleve doesn't help so much with acute pain. THEN, if you pain is stronger, and wakes you at night, then one needs to contact the doctor. Is this on your unaffected side? It could be that you've strained your wrist because of overuse if you're protective of your affected arm (I did this).

Enjoy your vacation, and come back and let us know how you are feeling.
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Hey, Honorary Cheesehead!
    I just finished a little Googling (hey, we Cheeseheads need to look out for our wannabes) and it turns out that Tamoxifen is also known to cause severe joint pain. I even found a thread on breastcancer.org that you might find interesting - various BC survivors describing their experiences with Tamoxifen side effects:

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic/78/conversation/641802

This is not to say that you should *not* get it checked out - if it were me, I would do as the sisters suggest. But my reading tells me it's *extremely* likely that your doc will wind up telling you it's Tamoxifen side effects, and treating it as such. Still nothing to be happy about - but not nearly, thank God, as bad as it could be.

Now have a couple of beers for me this afternoon, and enjoy beautiful Green Lake. The Moopster sends her best, as well!

Joe
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Aortus said:

Hey, Honorary Cheesehead!
    I just finished a little Googling (hey, we Cheeseheads need to look out for our wannabes) and it turns out that Tamoxifen is also known to cause severe joint pain. I even found a thread on breastcancer.org that you might find interesting - various BC survivors describing their experiences with Tamoxifen side effects:

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic/78/conversation/641802

This is not to say that you should *not* get it checked out - if it were me, I would do as the sisters suggest. But my reading tells me it's *extremely* likely that your doc will wind up telling you it's Tamoxifen side effects, and treating it as such. Still nothing to be happy about - but not nearly, thank God, as bad as it could be.

Now have a couple of beers for me this afternoon, and enjoy beautiful Green Lake. The Moopster sends her best, as well!

Joe

Hi Kat
    Is it swollen? Take a look and compare with your normal side. Any mosquito bits? Please call to your oncologist.
    I hope you can finish your vacation trip.
    Hugs
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    KAt sorry to hear this is
    KAt sorry to hear this is happening on your vacation...hard to enjoy yourself thinking about the what if's! Im on Tamoxifen and i get joint pain also, sometimes in just one joint at a time and sometimes it moves around exploring all my joints. Its a pleasant side effect...NOT! Please do call your doc!
    Hope you can at least finish your vacation!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

KAt sorry to hear this is
    KAt sorry to hear this is happening on your vacation...hard to enjoy yourself thinking about the what if's! Im on Tamoxifen and i get joint pain also, sometimes in just one joint at a time and sometimes it moves around exploring all my joints. Its a pleasant side effect...NOT! Please do call your doc!
    Hope you can at least finish your vacation!

Kat .. so sorry to hear about this during a much need
    and deserved vacation with hubby. Like the other gals who have responsed .. I would contact doctor on Monday, take Advil or Aleive, and keep wrist warm .. 15 mintues every hour should help.

Like many others, I continue to have joint pains - daily, another side effort from chemo and drugs.

Enjoy your vacation ... and take care.

Vicki Sam
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    VickiSam said:

Kat .. so sorry to hear about this during a much need
    and deserved vacation with hubby. Like the other gals who have responsed .. I would contact doctor on Monday, take Advil or Aleive, and keep wrist warm .. 15 mintues every hour should help.

Like many others, I continue to have joint pains - daily, another side effort from chemo and drugs.

Enjoy your vacation ... and take care.

Vicki Sam

I have to agree about Tamoxifen
    I have found that Tamoxifen and Arimidux both have caused me joint pain...painful!

I felt like you in thinking what the heck was going on, but it turned out to be that.

Do check with your doctor though if it doesn't go away in a week or so just to be on the safe side.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    sea60 said:

I have to agree about Tamoxifen
    I have found that Tamoxifen and Arimidux both have caused me joint pain...painful!

I felt like you in thinking what the heck was going on, but it turned out to be that.

Do check with your doctor though if it doesn't go away in a week or so just to be on the safe side.

Blessings,

Sylvia

I agree with you Sylvia!
    I never noticed it until about the 3rd year into taking Tamoxifen. Never made the connection until recently. Seems the past 2 years have been getting worse and worse. I'm only 44 and feel like 70. All my joints ache! I have 23 days left, then it's DONE! I'm praying the aches and pains will go away! If not, it's going to really suck getting older! Can't imagine how 50, 60 or 70 will feel like! Ugh...

Sally
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sal314 said:

I agree with you Sylvia!
    I never noticed it until about the 3rd year into taking Tamoxifen. Never made the connection until recently. Seems the past 2 years have been getting worse and worse. I'm only 44 and feel like 70. All my joints ache! I have 23 days left, then it's DONE! I'm praying the aches and pains will go away! If not, it's going to really suck getting older! Can't imagine how 50, 60 or 70 will feel like! Ugh...

Sally

over the years I have
    over the years I have learned to give it the two week test. also sometimes I have a pain, and if I think about it, I will realize I lifted something, or knocked it and didint give it much thought at the time. enjoy your vacation, even if it was something(which I dont think it is) a week doesnt make a difference. I dont think BC like to show up in joints, although it crosses my mind too.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    carkris said:

over the years I have
    over the years I have learned to give it the two week test. also sometimes I have a pain, and if I think about it, I will realize I lifted something, or knocked it and didint give it much thought at the time. enjoy your vacation, even if it was something(which I dont think it is) a week doesnt make a difference. I dont think BC like to show up in joints, although it crosses my mind too.

bone pain
    Try to enjoy the remainder of your vacation! I have bone mets to my spine, ribs, and pelvis. I experienced no pain with them. Once treatments started, I began to have pain in those areas. We all know that everyone is unique and individual, but I bet you did something to your wrist without knowing it at the time. Best wishes. MM
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Wrist pain
    If the pain is bad, I would let someone check it out. However, another possibility is carpal tunnel syndrome. It is fairly common and causes wrist pain. Check out: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/DS00326

So, be diligent and get it checked out, but don't get ahead of yourself. There could be many causes!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Wrist pain
    If the pain is bad, I would let someone check it out. However, another possibility is carpal tunnel syndrome. It is fairly common and causes wrist pain. Check out: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/DS00326

So, be diligent and get it checked out, but don't get ahead of yourself. There could be many causes!