I have decided if I were a guy...

ms.sunshine
ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I would be cute. hahaha
All my hair is coming back in. Now it is time to do all the womanly things we do.
1. shave legs, and other body hair.
2. wash hair, cream rinse, style gel. For some reason people want to feel my hair.
3. pluck eyebrows, ouch!
4. I finally shaved the peach fuzz, got tired of waiting for it to fall out. Felt so funny shaving face with a razor.

Comments

• jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Yup
    I am right there with you!!! But, you know what? I am so excited to join the High Maintenance ranks again!! Yay! xoxo, Jackie
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    jackiejhm said:

Yup
    I am right there with you!!! But, you know what? I am so excited to join the High Maintenance ranks again!! Yay! xoxo, Jackie

Okay, this is the first I've heard about the "peach fuzz"
    I finished chemo May 6th. My head hair is about 1/4 long, baby fine and orange (bad dye job--don't ask!). Anyway, yesterday I was putting on lipstick outside in the sun and in the mirror I saw soft, downy-looking hair on both sides of my face. I've never had facial hair before at all. What the heck is going on and will it (a) go away, (b) keep growing, (c) grow into a beard so that the only job I can get is the bearded lady at the circus?? I don't like this.

Renee
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    missrenee said:

Okay, this is the first I've heard about the "peach fuzz"
    I finished chemo May 6th. My head hair is about 1/4 long, baby fine and orange (bad dye job--don't ask!). Anyway, yesterday I was putting on lipstick outside in the sun and in the mirror I saw soft, downy-looking hair on both sides of my face. I've never had facial hair before at all. What the heck is going on and will it (a) go away, (b) keep growing, (c) grow into a beard so that the only job I can get is the bearded lady at the circus?? I don't like this.

Renee

Facial hair
    Renee, just to answer your question, I also experienced facial "fuzz" when I finished chemo, and while my hair was growing back everywhere on my body. I was afraid to shave my face, so consulted with my hairdresser. She told me that the hair folicles all over my body were "waking up" after being silenced by the chemo, and that the facial hair would fall out on its own. She cautioned that shaving might spark continued growth, and suggested that I use creams to keep the hair soft. She was right....the fuzz disappeared after about a month. You might also mention this to your oncologist, as I am sure this is a condition that many patients experience. (Glad it didn't grow into a beard, as I am too old to join a circus.) Hugs, Judy
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Facial hair
    Renee, just to answer your question, I also experienced facial "fuzz" when I finished chemo, and while my hair was growing back everywhere on my body. I was afraid to shave my face, so consulted with my hairdresser. She told me that the hair folicles all over my body were "waking up" after being silenced by the chemo, and that the facial hair would fall out on its own. She cautioned that shaving might spark continued growth, and suggested that I use creams to keep the hair soft. She was right....the fuzz disappeared after about a month. You might also mention this to your oncologist, as I am sure this is a condition that many patients experience. (Glad it didn't grow into a beard, as I am too old to join a circus.) Hugs, Judy

Thanks, Judy
    You made me feel better. The last thing we all need right now is a hairy face-right?! I think your hairdresser was right--if you tried to shave it, it might come back coarser too.

Hugs right back, Renee
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    missrenee said:

Thanks, Judy
    You made me feel better. The last thing we all need right now is a hairy face-right?! I think your hairdresser was right--if you tried to shave it, it might come back coarser too.

Hugs right back, Renee

some people do shave it ,
    some people do shave it , but I left it alone and it went away. I wonder if some if it is hormonal. but the nurse defiantely warned me about it.
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394

Facial hair

hair
    I had the same experience, my husband notice my faicial coat of baby fine hair first. AHHHH!!! I hated it, but it did fall out and I am happy to report I have no problem now with facial hair. My husband said the same thing as the hairdresser.
    Too funny everything we go through...
    alison
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394

Facial hair

hair
    I had the same experience, my husband notice my faicial coat of baby fine hair first. AHHHH!!! I hated it, but it did fall out and I am happy to report I have no problem now with facial hair. My husband said the same thing as the hairdresser.
    alison
  • hair
    alison

The old gray yeti...
    she ain't what she use to be...

That explains a lot.

I noticed the hair on my head is a bit longer, but my complexion felt a bit drier and rougher. I also managed to lose my eyebrows after that final round of chemo.

BUT...

I just ran into my bathroom to check my face...and I do see fuzz! Of course, I needed my glasses and the 7x mirror to verify it.

I admit I have my doubts that my hair will ever return and this new facial hair thing is disconcerting too.

...but if I were a guy...I would so tell me how nice I look and would be willing to make midnight runs for ice cream for me. Yep, I would date me.

Thank you, ladies...my mastectomy was beginning to make me feel like I was in the process of a sex change.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    yep had it too
    the peach fuzz on the face. It was long enough to grasp with my finger and came out with a gentle tug.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Smooth Away
    That face fuzz - my mom, my daughter, and myself all have that -and this is before chemo! Just fine, fluffy whiti-sh hairs near the side of my face/ears. Thank God it's not dark! I don't know what it is -but anyway -have any of you seen the commercials for that smooth-away hair remover pads? I think they're about $10 at Walgreen's and most drug stores. Anyway, it's like a very gentle exfolianting pad that you rub in a circular motion. It works really well - I got it to try for my daughter & I beacause she's only 9 and I don't want to put any chemical hair removers on her little face, but she is getting self conscious about it. Plus is leaves the skin really smooth & soft, and it doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin.
    If the fuzz is bothering you & you don't want to shave it or use chemical depilitories (sp?) it might work for you!
    Heather
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169

Smooth Away
    That face fuzz - my mom, my daughter, and myself all have that -and this is before chemo! Just fine, fluffy whiti-sh hairs near the side of my face/ears. Thank God it's not dark! I don't know what it is -but anyway -have any of you seen the commercials for that smooth-away hair remover pads? I think they're about $10 at Walgreen's and most drug stores. Anyway, it's like a very gentle exfolianting pad that you rub in a circular motion. It works really well - I got it to try for my daughter & I beacause she's only 9 and I don't want to put any chemical hair removers on her little face, but she is getting self conscious about it. Plus is leaves the skin really smooth & soft, and it doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin.
    If the fuzz is bothering you & you don't want to shave it or use chemical depilitories (sp?) it might work for you!
    Heather

Hmmmmm
    Ok, I am a big Weenie. That sounds like a great idea, Heather. I'm kinda nervous to try it. Anyone else want to give it a go? Let me know!! xoxo
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    jackiejhm said:

Hmmmmm
    Ok, I am a big Weenie. That sounds like a great idea, Heather. I'm kinda nervous to try it. Anyone else want to give it a go? Let me know!! xoxo

My daughter has it too very
    My daughter has it too very light, it sounds like a good idea. perhaps try it on a different area on your body to see if it doesnt react. her skin is so sensative.
    If we were guys this stuff wouldn't bother as much, at least my husband thinks he is just 'awesome' the way he is. beer belly and all. if you dont like him he thinks "whats wrong with you"