phantom itch?

cejota
cejota Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just have to know.....
I feel like my plastic surgeon thinks I'm nuts! I have had my expanders since June and Thursday decided I was ready for my exchange ( early Sept.) I have had "iches I can't scratch" which seem to be under the expanders....they absolutely drives my crazy. I can rub my skin raw trying to relieve them....but to no avail.....anybody else experience this? Wondering if they come from nerve regeneration, irritation.....My PS seems like he's never even heard of it.....
Thanks mucho!
cj

Comments

• survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    Phantoms
    Yep, that is exactly what you are experiencing.........phantom itch. From what my pcp tells me, it's common. I didn't have reconstruction, but this phenomenon is seen with missing limbs and appendages of all types. How long will it last? Can't answer that one....I still have that from time to time. And, if I really get cold, I feel like there's a nipple there! I told this to my onc., and she's had a mastectomy also, and she said everyone of her patients has had this type of problem in one form or another.

What I have found is if you massage, not rub, but massage the area, it will settle down. I too have rubbed myself raw, and thought my cancer had come back, but no.....just little phantoms playing their game.

Hope this helps!
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    You're NOT Crazy!
    Hey CJ,

I have them too! So, you are NOT imagining things! LOL. I just "pretend" to scratch where I think it's itchy and tell myself it helps! LOL.

Not sure what causes it. I'm 4 years out since my surgery, so I'd think the nerve regeneration would be done by now, but not sure.

I feel your "itch"!! LOL.

Sally