Depending on the kindness of strangers...

faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have seen a few boards in my brief time here critical of fair weather friends and the desire to administer corporal punishment to others.

In the spirit of keeping focused on the positive, it is not my desire to minimize anyone's experiences by any means, I wonder how many of us may have had a positive encounter with a stranger during these challenging times that we have in common.

No one asked Blanche DuBois to enumerate, but I can count at least a dozen.

Anyone care to share a tale or two of a kind stranger?

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Too mant to count
    There are so many wonderful people out there. I have been shown kindness from many strangers in many ways.

Two of the times I was shown kindness the most was during pregnancy (loved when people were kind enough to give me their seat and always opened the door) and during cancer. My beautiful sister took care of me and was always by my side. So many of her friends that I had never met, sent beautiful cards of encouragement and support and offered prayers. It's always overwhelming when people reach out to you in a heartfelt manner and you don't even know them. What beauty in a person!

I also have been shown so much kindness and support by each of you who give me your friendship and kind words.

Love you all!
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    sea60 said:

Too mant to count
    There are so many wonderful people out there. I have been shown kindness from many strangers in many ways.

Two of the times I was shown kindness the most was during pregnancy (loved when people were kind enough to give me their seat and always opened the door) and during cancer. My beautiful sister took care of me and was always by my side. So many of her friends that I had never met, sent beautiful cards of encouragement and support and offered prayers. It's always overwhelming when people reach out to you in a heartfelt manner and you don't even know them. What beauty in a person!

I also have been shown so much kindness and support by each of you who give me your friendship and kind words.

Love you all!

It happened at Starbucks
    During chemo, when I felt good enough to go grocery shopping, I'd stop at the Starbucks in the grocery store for a little treat for myself. After a couple of times, the Starbucks lady--seeing me in my headscarf and probably looking pretty pale and gaunt, started having conversations with me. She was headed for a knee replacement in a month or so, lost her husband to cancer last year, lived on her own, and didn't know if her job there with pretty limited health insurance coverage would get her through it all. Needless to say, she definitely had problems of her own. When I told her my story, she came around the counter, took both of my hands in hers and offered to come to my home and clean and cook for me! I was stunned at her generosity and caring attitude. She has since had her surgery and I plan on asking the manager for some way to contact her--I want to help her because I will never forget her offer.

Hugs, Renee
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I often quote Blanche myself...
    Since I can barely remember anything anymore, the one that comes to mind is: after dx, and awaiting surgery, (I work in a healthcare facility registering patients) a patient said the kindest things to me. He said that I was always so happy and pleasant, that it was a joy to meet a compassionate person, that I always 'took time with people' and didn't just rush thru patients.

As I felt tears welling - I didn't know what was going to happen to me in just a few days, how long I would be happy - I thanked him. I was out of work for 3 months and about a month after that, he came in and thanked him again, because his kind words were so appreciated. No one ever said anything like that to me and it was heartwarming.

Sue