Skeeta (mosquito) question

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Thats what I call them-skeetas. I also say sketty for spaghetti. Anyway, the mosquitos are thick here with all the heat and humidity. I hate spraying myself with spray everytime I go outside. Does anyone have anything else they use to keep them from attacking, a lotion or something?

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    SSS
    The only thing that keeps 'skeeters off me is the original Skin-So-Soft by Avon.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Skeeta answer
    Hi Laurissa. Mosquitoes seem to be a universal problem this time of the year. Even where I am in the high dessert they are bad. I've had so many blood tests lately, I didn't think I had anything left for these pests, but they still come unless I'm protected. My dear brother (who knows absolutely everything about everything..ha ha) swears by those electronic repellers. He puts one on the bill of his cap, and claims it gives him something like a 3-foot perimeter of safety. I don't know..I've stood right next to him, within that so-called radius, and they come to me anyway. I purchased a product called "Buzz Off" at the natural food store. It's DEET-free, made from plant extracts. It's a spray bottle, but I don't spray it onto myself. No matter how safe it is, I still don't want to breathe it in. I spray it onto a cotton ball, then swab it onto my exposed skin areas, especially the pulse points. That seems to give me hours of protection. Keeps away the gnats and no-see-ums too.

I saw a thing on TV recently that you shouldn't take bananas to a picnic because bananas attract mosquitos, and if you eat bananas in the summertime you're more likely to become mosquito bait. Also, it said that people with a vitamin B deficiency get bitten more often. Supposedly there is research to support this.

Hugs and blessings. Gracie
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    My daughter swears by the new "Off"
    Clip On thing. I bought one, but probably won't use it til we go camping over Labor Day.

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sbmly53 said:

My daughter swears by the new "Off"
    Clip On thing. I bought one, but probably won't use it til we go camping over Labor Day.

Sue

Mosquitos always liked my
    Mosquitos always liked my light skinned red head daughter. she would have 20 bites to someone elses' one. I dont like to spray so I stay in at dusk. they recently sprayed here as the EEE mosquito pool tested 3 times normal. I understood why they would do it. but it still freaked me out. Plus I live on the town line and they sprayed one town thurs night and my town friday night. so we got the double dose. no choice though. EEE is so bad.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    carkris said:

Mosquitos always liked my
    Mosquitos always liked my light skinned red head daughter. she would have 20 bites to someone elses' one. I dont like to spray so I stay in at dusk. they recently sprayed here as the EEE mosquito pool tested 3 times normal. I understood why they would do it. but it still freaked me out. Plus I live on the town line and they sprayed one town thurs night and my town friday night. so we got the double dose. no choice though. EEE is so bad.

I am in wisconsin right now
    I am in wisconsin right now and I don't remember when the Mosguitos have been this bad. Can barley sit out side at all. My daughter in law swears by downey sheets. She just rubs it all over her and the kids body and no bites. I think I will try this tomorrow.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thanks for tips
    Does Avon still sell that lotion? I think I will try the dryer sheet too, but mine is Snuggle, I wonder if that will make a difference? I'll let you know if it works.
  • Rague
    laurissa said:

Thanks for tips
    Does Avon still sell that lotion? I think I will try the dryer sheet too, but mine is Snuggle, I wonder if that will make a difference? I'll let you know if it works.

Yes
    I just googled "Skin So Soft - Avon" and found that they have it in a lot more forms than they used to. Way back when we rode our dinosaurs to school (LOL) the original oily bath oil form of Skin So Soft was the only form you could get but today it comes in a lotion/cream, a pump, areosol, etc. Today, it even has sun screen in it.

hope it works for you - it's the only thing that does for me.

Susan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Rague said:

Yes
    I just googled "Skin So Soft - Avon" and found that they have it in a lot more forms than they used to. Way back when we rode our dinosaurs to school (LOL) the original oily bath oil form of Skin So Soft was the only form you could get but today it comes in a lotion/cream, a pump, areosol, etc. Today, it even has sun screen in it.

hope it works for you - it's the only thing that does for me.

Susan

Avon Product
    Laurissa, we live in East Texas. on a lake, and this year the mosquitos have been horrible. Combine this will the terrible heat, and you have a formula for "I don't want to be here during the summer". We decided to leave for July and August, and are in New Mexico mountains....mosquito free. However, my husband is constantly outdoors, and he swears by the spray Avon Skin-So-Soft. He says that he can spray this on his body (not his face), and isn't bitten at all, while others around him are fighting mosquitos all the time. At first his buddies commented on how "girlie" he smelled, but now they are all using it. Give it a try, and let me know how it goes. I just prefer to stay in the house, and zap mosquitos that manage to get inside with me. Hugs. Judy
  • Rague

Avon Product
    Laurissa, we live in East Texas. on a lake, and this year the mosquitos have been horrible. Combine this will the terrible heat, and you have a formula for "I don't want to be here during the summer". We decided to leave for July and August, and are in New Mexico mountains....mosquito free. However, my husband is constantly outdoors, and he swears by the spray Avon Skin-So-Soft. He says that he can spray this on his body (not his face), and isn't bitten at all, while others around him are fighting mosquitos all the time. At first his buddies commented on how "girlie" he smelled, but now they are all using it. Give it a try, and let me know how it goes. I just prefer to stay in the house, and zap mosquitos that manage to get inside with me. Hugs. Judy

Silly 'boys'
    Hubby (who doesn't get bitten as bad as I do) wouldn't use SSS until he and buddies were going out for a weekend in that mangroves. The 'skeeters got bad (I knew they would) and he decided to use the 'wipes' I'd made (folded flannel soaked in SSS in a jar) that he claimed he didn't need. He said he got laughed at to begin with but it wasn't long til everybody wanted to use his wipes (I'd sent enough).

When I worked for an outfitter in the Paysayten Wilderness - he always suggest to the Dudes to wipe down with the paper towels soaked in SSS before heading back in. Some would - some would laugh - I have this spray 'expensive stuff'. It wouldn't be long the ones with their 'expensive stuff' were asking for that 'stuff you gave out'. He'd always tell them (and I did the same thing) that can't get to the repellent till we make camp. (If there were kids along and parents had been stupid with not letting them use the SSS we would 'have a little of our own repellent in our saddle bag' that the kids could use but there was never enough to go around to the 'tupid adults (Yeah right - pebbles needed to learn to listen to those with more knowledge.)
  • Rague

Avon Product

• Rague

Avon Product

Accidental multi post
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Rague said:

i'm going to get that stuff.
    i'm going to get that stuff. deet makes me worry
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carkris said:

i'm going to get that stuff.
    i'm going to get that stuff. deet makes me worry

Skin so Soft .. is the only thing that work for me
    and my family .. I am willing to try the new OFF, Thanks for the heads up!

Vicki Sam
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

Avon Product

Shout out to Judy!
    I live in New Mexico, about 60 miles northwest of Albuquerque. Howdy neighbor! This year the mosquitos are the worst they've ever been. Too much rain, I suppose...but we do need the rain, so it's a trade off.