Does your onc have you do annual CT scans?

Mama G
Mama G Member Posts: 762
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm one year out and scheduled for one on Tues. My onc was not going to schedule it, but I spoke up and asked about it, then she said "Yes, let's do that!" Now I'm feeling like it is another unnecessary test (at this point) that I'd rather not do unless you gals talk me into it.... All my bloodwork came back EXCELLENT last month.

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Hi, Mama G -
    No CT scans here. I'm also 1 year out, and my post-treatment care currently is 1) mammograms every 6 months, 2) see my oncologist for exam and tumor marker bloodwork every 3 months, 3) see my surgeon for exam every 6 months.

I'm sorry, I don't remember what surgery you had? I had bilateral lumpectomies, no lymph node involvement, and no evidence of any metastases.

One of the reasons that my doctors feel comfortable with just mammograms for me is that my tumors (found by a mammogram) were very, very tiny -- none larger than 2 millimeters. As my oncologist put it, "Clearly, mammograms work very well on you!" So, at this point, they don't feel that MRIs or other scans are necessary.

Don't know if that helps?

Traci
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    No CT Scans here
    My oncologist and surgeon told me that unless there is a concrete reason to do one, such as unexplained pain for 4 weeks, etc. they would NOT do routine CT Scans due to exposing the body to more radiation......I'm comfortable with that........

Wishing you good results!
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    MAJW said:

No CT Scans here
    My oncologist and surgeon told me that unless there is a concrete reason to do one, such as unexplained pain for 4 weeks, etc. they would NOT do routine CT Scans due to exposing the body to more radiation......I'm comfortable with that........

Thanks for your input
    think I'll ask her to put it off for a while. I was detected July 2009 1.5 cm 8 nodes had cancer cells thus making me Stage 2. Had a mastectomy and chemo/radiation. I feel great, except for the numbness factor in my foot, belly and arm.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    MAJW said:

No CT Scans here

CT scan, etc...
    Maybe it depends also on what stage the cancer is. Mine is stage 4, so at this point I'm more concerned with knowing the progress of my disease, than how much "extra radiation" I might be exposed to. This past July I had a mammogram, MRI & Xrays to my upper left arm, and a skull to thighs PET/CT scan, all in a span of 20 days. My oncologist didn't seemed concerned about excess radiation. And..now I'm getting set up for rads to my upper arm.

Hugs and blessings to you all. Gracie
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

CT scan, etc...
    Maybe it depends also on what stage the cancer is. Mine is stage 4, so at this point I'm more concerned with knowing the progress of my disease, than how much "extra radiation" I might be exposed to. This past July I had a mammogram, MRI & Xrays to my upper left arm, and a skull to thighs PET/CT scan, all in a span of 20 days. My oncologist didn't seemed concerned about excess radiation. And..now I'm getting set up for rads to my upper arm.

Hugs and blessings to you all. Gracie

Hi Mama G
    I am glad that you are doing well. I have not done CT scans since my initial diagnosis two years ago (Stage III). My oncologist told me that I do not need scans. The standards of care recommend scans only if there is a suspicion or complain like low back pain, cough or mass on Mamo.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Hi Mama G
    I am glad that you are doing well. I have not done CT scans since my initial diagnosis two years ago (Stage III). My oncologist told me that I do not need scans. The standards of care recommend scans only if there is a suspicion or complain like low back pain, cough or mass on Mamo.
    Good luck,
    New Flower

No ct scans for me, but I
    No ct scans for me, but I kinda wish they would every year.
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    Kat11 said:

No ct scans for me, but I
    No ct scans for me, but I kinda wish they would every year.

never had one
    i have never had one since diagnosed.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    teresa41 said:

never had one
    i have never had one since diagnosed.

Just had first MRI
    I just had my first MRI in March of this year and that was because there was an area of density they wanted to explore. As it turns out, it was just a "shadow". My onc. hasn't mentioned anything, and I'll be going to her for 3 years now. Guess it's all about the stage we're in??
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    survives said:

Just had first MRI
    I just had my first MRI in March of this year and that was because there was an area of density they wanted to explore. As it turns out, it was just a "shadow". My onc. hasn't mentioned anything, and I'll be going to her for 3 years now. Guess it's all about the stage we're in??

I only had scans when I had
    I only had scans when I had a cancer diagnosis. for staging. I dont want them, but thats just me. Oh yeah I alos had extra bone scans but that was with persistent pain.
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    carkris said:

I only had scans when I had
    I only had scans when I had a cancer diagnosis. for staging. I dont want them, but thats just me. Oh yeah I alos had extra bone scans but that was with persistent pain.

scans
    I asked my doctor about this last week because it seemed like everyone was getting them....Her answer was "it doesn't change the survival rate" Same thing with the bloodwork for markers.... I hate this disease......