need your Input, ideas, help

cavediver
cavediver Member Posts: 607
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First, let me preface that I intend to ask my Oncologist this question..but my appt. is 10 days out.

Very brief background: Onc suggested 3 chemo cycles to reduce tumor, mastectomy w/lymph node removal, then 3 more cycles of chemo. All this started in March. After the surgery, just ready to start #4 chemo cycle, Onc says, ok...you will have 5 more cycles for total of 8, then radiation. Whoa, say I: what happened to 6 cycles? He looked at me like I just spoke a foreign language and said, no you will need to have 8. I asked why rads...never mentioned earlier, and he said to insure no stray cancer cells are out there. OK....I am ready I say, figure the more agressive the better, let's get this battle on track again! Onward with the battle!

Last week #6 chemo cycle of TAC brought me to my knees. I am still a mess and having a very rough time of it.
Today I am surfing about Susan G Korman website, see 'Chemotherapy Drugs', and click on it.
Wow, there is a table listing all the cocktail combinations and the treatment cycles/drug regimen for each cocktail. I scroll down and find TAC (what I am on): Taxotere, Adriamycin,Cytoxan. The treatment says given by IV with 20 days rest inbetween cycles, repeated 6 times (regimen used for lymph node positive cancer). Question: anyone on this and have you been given more than 6 cycles? Reason given? What do you think?

Comments

• Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Cavediver, I wasn't even
    Cavediver, I wasn't even supposed to have chemo after my masectomy but I had 17 lymph nodes removed, 11 of which had cancer. I couldn't take the "A" portion of your cocktail because of heart problems but was put on the Cytoxan and Taxotere for 12 treatments once a week. Now I just finished it all and I was a mess too, but you will get thru it. I'll be starting radiation in a couple of weeks. Was cancer found in your lymph nodes and how many? I had 3 tumors and had to take Femara to reduce them for 5 months before my masectomy. Everyone is different but there must have been a reason for the onc to change his mind. Hope you find the answer and trust your team to do the best for you.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Dear cavediver, I had 4
    Dear cavediver,
    I had 4 rounds of A/C then 4 rounds of Taxol. I don't know what Taxotere is, although I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on this site. I went every other week for the sessions, although some people went every three weeks. That totaled 8 sessions and I then went for 7 weeks of radiation 5 days a week.

When I was first diagnosed, they said they might have to give me chemo to reduce the tumor BEFOR surgery also, but after I saw my surgeon, she said that the tumor was easy access and that I could have my lumpectomy first. I had Satge 3 with 17 nodes removed/ 8 being infected.

Hope this helps and sending hugs and prayers. I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with the chemo. The Taxol was the worst for me causing horrible leg aches and pain. I needed to be on pain medication through that part of it.

Wanda
  • cavediver
    Sunrae said:

Cavediver, I wasn't even
    Cavediver, I wasn't even supposed to have chemo after my masectomy but I had 17 lymph nodes removed, 11 of which had cancer. I couldn't take the "A" portion of your cocktail because of heart problems but was put on the Cytoxan and Taxotere for 12 treatments once a week. Now I just finished it all and I was a mess too, but you will get thru it. I'll be starting radiation in a couple of weeks. Was cancer found in your lymph nodes and how many? I had 3 tumors and had to take Femara to reduce them for 5 months before my masectomy. Everyone is different but there must have been a reason for the onc to change his mind. Hope you find the answer and trust your team to do the best for you.

lymph nodes
    eleven lymph nodes removed, 4 were positive for cancer......
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598

Dear cavediver, I had 4
    Dear cavediver,
    I had 4 rounds of A/C then 4 rounds of Taxol. I don't know what Taxotere is, although I have heard it mentioned quite a few times on this site. I went every other week for the sessions, although some people went every three weeks. That totaled 8 sessions and I then went for 7 weeks of radiation 5 days a week.

When I was first diagnosed, they said they might have to give me chemo to reduce the tumor BEFOR surgery also, but after I saw my surgeon, she said that the tumor was easy access and that I could have my lumpectomy first. I had Satge 3 with 17 nodes removed/ 8 being infected.

Hope this helps and sending hugs and prayers. I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with the chemo. The Taxol was the worst for me causing horrible leg aches and pain. I needed to be on pain medication through that part of it.

Wanda

Cavediver
    I had 4 rounds of A/C,Cytotoxin then 4 rounds of Taxol/ Herceptin. Toatal of8. I just thought it was standard. Will finish my years of Herceptin on the 2nd of Sept. Whoo!!!
    Had 28 rounds of rads. Stage3c with 18/20 lymphnodes involved. Sounds likea good plan to me. I'm in remission and all scans and tests are coming back clear. Another Whooo! I uncertain please make him answer, if he feels "insulted" or dosen't give clear answers, please seek another onc. That's why he gets paid the big bucks! Good luck with the battle. Katz
  • cavediver
    all three or two at a time
    it seems so far everyone replying has not had all three drugs given at full strength for the duration. Four cycles of two, then ..etc. I am wondering if the 3 part mix for 6 cycles is what is bringing me down? I am counting the days to be able to ask Onc what the deal is....don't think he can continue to give me full strength of the 3-mix for another 2 cycles..seriously, my body can't do it no matter how much or how strong I think I am or can be. Will keep you posted. I was hoping someone else would have had the 3 drug mix all at one time for length and see what they had to say. Thanks for the input......hope everyone has a good weekend. The only thing working well for me is from the 'wrist down'....meaning I can type fast......but the rest of the body is not doing so well still.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    cavediver said:

all three or two at a time
    it seems so far everyone replying has not had all three drugs given at full strength for the duration. Four cycles of two, then ..etc. I am wondering if the 3 part mix for 6 cycles is what is bringing me down? I am counting the days to be able to ask Onc what the deal is....don't think he can continue to give me full strength of the 3-mix for another 2 cycles..seriously, my body can't do it no matter how much or how strong I think I am or can be. Will keep you posted. I was hoping someone else would have had the 3 drug mix all at one time for length and see what they had to say. Thanks for the input......hope everyone has a good weekend. The only thing working well for me is from the 'wrist down'....meaning I can type fast......but the rest of the body is not doing so well still.

I had 6 cycles of TAC , once
    I had 6 cycles of TAC , once every three weeks starting in JUne of last year through the end of September. I had to start back to work in Aug. of that year and I don't remember it being too bad. I was hyper emotional...crying at the drop of a hat, but not too sick.Do you have access to all the antinausea meds. available?
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

I had 6 cycles of TAC , once
    I had 6 cycles of TAC , once every three weeks starting in JUne of last year through the end of September. I had to start back to work in Aug. of that year and I don't remember it being too bad. I was hyper emotional...crying at the drop of a hat, but not too sick.Do you have access to all the antinausea meds. available?

Cavediver, I too had 6 rounds of TAC 3 weeks apart
    I'm Stage IIIc, 10 out of 23 nodes positive. Then I followed up with 33 rads. I guess this is pretty much protocol for what I had.

Good luck, prayers and hugs to you on your journey,
    Renee
  • cavediver
    missrenee said:

Cavediver, I too had 6 rounds of TAC 3 weeks apart
    I'm Stage IIIc, 10 out of 23 nodes positive. Then I followed up with 33 rads. I guess this is pretty much protocol for what I had.

Good luck, prayers and hugs to you on your journey,
    Renee

I am hoping onc would say,
    I am hoping onc would say, opps, 6 rounds, yes you are done with TAC and move on with Rads......geez. I am slowly starting to get off all fours this afternoon. But to think of 2 more rounds of TAC.......I am thinking he will have to lower the dosages. Guess I just have to wait now for the appt. on the 17th for that. The Korman dug table did not show any footnote that more than 6 would ever be administered.....
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    cavediver said:

I am hoping onc would say,
    I am hoping onc would say, opps, 6 rounds, yes you are done with TAC and move on with Rads......geez. I am slowly starting to get off all fours this afternoon. But to think of 2 more rounds of TAC.......I am thinking he will have to lower the dosages. Guess I just have to wait now for the appt. on the 17th for that. The Korman dug table did not show any footnote that more than 6 would ever be administered.....

Cavediver,
    Why don't you

Cavediver,

Why don't you call your oncologist or your oncology nurse to talk about it. If it is affecting you so badly there is no reason you have to wait 10 days for an appointment to talk to your doc! As someone else said, 'that's why they get the big bucks'. When you feel so bad you shouldn't have to also have serious concerns like this. Call him/her Monday!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

Cavediver,
    Why don't you

Cavediver,

Why don't you call your oncologist or your oncology nurse to talk about it. If it is affecting you so badly there is no reason you have to wait 10 days for an appointment to talk to your doc! As someone else said, 'that's why they get the big bucks'. When you feel so bad you shouldn't have to also have serious concerns like this. Call him/her Monday!

Cavediver, I agree
    that you should call your oncologist. My oncologist has a 24/7 phone number for just what you're going through. Yes, it's the office # but someone will get in touch with your dr and get you some peace of mind. I wouldn't want to be stressing about this til the 17th!

I sure hope you're feeling a little bit better :-) Sending you cyber {{hugs}}.
    Char