New meds now, and rads

m_azingrace
m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This past year with stage 4 bc has been fairly easy for me. Taking Femara daily, and Zometa once a month. Mets to bone, but no pain. Good appetite, no unexplained weight loss, lots of energy. Doctor was so pleased he put me on a quarterly schedule. However, the tumor in my upper left arm has been problematic from the beginning. An orthopaedist looked at it to see if I'd need to have a pin put in to strengthen it. He thought not, but wanted to keep watch on it anyway. July 8th I had an MRI, that was compared to the one the orthopaedist took last September. He could see little to no change. Nevertheless, the nagging discomfort (not really pain, but something not right) continues. the doctors are pretty sure that this is cancer-related, even though it is not exactly bone pain (would feel like a constantly bad toothache). So now I will be having radiation on the arm to hopefully take care of the problem once and for all. This is not a new idea. It was discussed last year, and I knew that at some point it might happen.

There is good news too. The recent PET/CT scan shows a couple of new "hot spots" on my spine, but all my organs appear to be clear. I still have no pain, so this is good, although I have had stiffness in my joints which I think is from the Femara. The oncologist changed my meds to Aromasin yesterday. Because of the new lesions, he thinks the cancer may be becoming resistant to the Femara. Joint pain is not one of the listed side effects for the Aromasin, so I am anxious to see if mine goes away.

I'll probably go to radiation orientation and find out some things, but I know already that those classes don't tell you everything. So, to my sisters who have gone through rads: I would appreciate any advice you might give that would help me be more comfortable. What/what not to wear, special lotions, how might the rads make me feel -- tired, sick, loss of appetite, etc?

Thanks so much. Hugs to you all. Gracie

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Hi Gracie--so glad there is good news to report
    Hopefully, the new med will do its job with no side effects. I just finished rads today (yeah!). They focused on my breast and axillary and neck lymph nodes. I don't know if they're the same as you'll get, but here was my experience. I did not really get redness until near the end. I've had some breast, axillary swelling and sharp, sort of pin-prick like pains (not severe). I used Eucerin cream and 100% aloe gel daily but not within 4 hours before the treatment (per the rad. onc.). I did not experience fatigue until about half way through treatments. I had no loss of appetite or queasy feelings like I had with chemo. I think the biggest pain was actually driving the 35 minutes each way for the treatments.

Best of luck, hugs and prayers as you continue. You'll do great!

Renee
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    missrenee said:

Hi Gracie--so glad there is good news to report
    Hopefully, the new med will do its job with no side effects. I just finished rads today (yeah!). They focused on my breast and axillary and neck lymph nodes. I don't know if they're the same as you'll get, but here was my experience. I did not really get redness until near the end. I've had some breast, axillary swelling and sharp, sort of pin-prick like pains (not severe). I used Eucerin cream and 100% aloe gel daily but not within 4 hours before the treatment (per the rad. onc.). I did not experience fatigue until about half way through treatments. I had no loss of appetite or queasy feelings like I had with chemo. I think the biggest pain was actually driving the 35 minutes each way for the treatments.

Best of luck, hugs and prayers as you continue. You'll do great!

Renee

I had it on my chest so not
    I had it on my chest so not sure about the arm. I used aquaphor and started pre rads to make the skin moist. it can be staining so I slept in some inexpensive tee shirts that I bought at target. I did not have a hard time with rads. Congrats on your good news. hope the new med helps the joint pain.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    carkris said:

I had it on my chest so not
    I had it on my chest so not sure about the arm. I used aquaphor and started pre rads to make the skin moist. it can be staining so I slept in some inexpensive tee shirts that I bought at target. I did not have a hard time with rads. Congrats on your good news. hope the new med helps the joint pain.

Hi!
    First, congrats on the good news! And, like carkris wrote, I don't know if rads would be the same on your arm, as, I had for my bc. How many are you going to have?

I used Aquaphor from day one, to keep my skin moist and it worked. I really put it on thick at night and wore my hubby's old tshirt, as it stains anything and it is hard to get out. I washed the tshirt in hot water, and, it came out at first, but then, it had a permanent stain on it, so, I threw it away when I finished using Aquaphor.

I used Biafine for any burn that I might get, which I never burned, just got the really dark pink and was very tender.

I also was very gentle with the radiated area. I used Dove white soap and never scrubbed the area, just would gently wash it.

I started getting tired about the end of the third week or beginning of the 4th week of rads, but, I took lots of naps and went to bed early which helped.

My hubby took me everyday and always made each and every day a fun day for me. We always did something, shopping, a picnic, lunch at a great restaurant, or, maybe just a slow drive home through the country to enjoy the beautiful countryside.

I wish you the best of luck and hope I helped some. Post to let us know how you are doing!

Sue :)
  • m_azingrace
    Ritzy said:

Hi!
    First, congrats on the good news! And, like carkris wrote, I don't know if rads would be the same on your arm, as, I had for my bc. How many are you going to have?

I used Aquaphor from day one, to keep my skin moist and it worked. I really put it on thick at night and wore my hubby's old tshirt, as it stains anything and it is hard to get out. I washed the tshirt in hot water, and, it came out at first, but then, it had a permanent stain on it, so, I threw it away when I finished using Aquaphor.

I used Biafine for any burn that I might get, which I never burned, just got the really dark pink and was very tender.

I also was very gentle with the radiated area. I used Dove white soap and never scrubbed the area, just would gently wash it.

I started getting tired about the end of the third week or beginning of the 4th week of rads, but, I took lots of naps and went to bed early which helped.

My hubby took me everyday and always made each and every day a fun day for me. We always did something, shopping, a picnic, lunch at a great restaurant, or, maybe just a slow drive home through the country to enjoy the beautiful countryside.

I wish you the best of luck and hope I helped some. Post to let us know how you are doing!

Sue :)

missrenee, carkris & Ritzy...
    Thank you for the great information, and for you encouragement. It means so much to me to have so many dear sisters here who are willing to help others, even through their own difficulties! Hugs and God bless you. Gracie
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member

missrenee, carkris & Ritzy...
    Thank you for the great information, and for you encouragement. It means so much to me to have so many dear sisters here who are willing to help others, even through their own difficulties! Hugs and God bless you. Gracie

suggestions
    I completed my rads in mid June 2010. I was not overly tired and worked full time throughout my rad treatment.Here are a few things that were helpful to me during my rad treatment:
    -Get your rest- I went to sleep at least an hour earlier each night
    -Use Dove or other mild soap. Never scrub the radiated area,just squeezed the soapy water over the area.
    -Do not use hot water to shower or in the bath.
    -I Used Aquaphor and 100% Aloe (Fruit of the Earth or CVS brand)twice per day starting from the day before rad treatment.Never use within four hours before your rad treatment.
    -Keep your self well hydrated. Drinks lots of water.
    -Use a sports bra or camisole, no underwire bras. Camisole worked best for me.
    _Wear button down shirts, easier to get in and out of. By the time you get to the boosts, dressing takes longer than the actual treatment.
    -Expect some redness, possible itching and swelling/tenderness. Usually, they suggest hydrocortisone for itching. Always check with your rad onc and staff about using anything on your radiated skin.
    -I used the "Crystal" or "Tom's of Maine" natural deodorants but not before my treatments. I still use the Crystal.
    -My Rad Onc team warned me not to take antioxidants supplements during my treatment. I was allowed to continue my Calcium, Vit D and multiple vitamin.
    -Keep us posted. Sending good vibes and positive thoughts. Hugs, K
  • m_azingrace
    KayNYC said:

suggestions
    I completed my rads in mid June 2010. I was not overly tired and worked full time throughout my rad treatment.Here are a few things that were helpful to me during my rad treatment:
    -Get your rest- I went to sleep at least an hour earlier each night
    -Use Dove or other mild soap. Never scrub the radiated area,just squeezed the soapy water over the area.
    -Do not use hot water to shower or in the bath.
    -I Used Aquaphor and 100% Aloe (Fruit of the Earth or CVS brand)twice per day starting from the day before rad treatment.Never use within four hours before your rad treatment.
    -Keep your self well hydrated. Drinks lots of water.
    -Use a sports bra or camisole, no underwire bras. Camisole worked best for me.
    _Wear button down shirts, easier to get in and out of. By the time you get to the boosts, dressing takes longer than the actual treatment.
    -Expect some redness, possible itching and swelling/tenderness. Usually, they suggest hydrocortisone for itching. Always check with your rad onc and staff about using anything on your radiated skin.
    -I used the "Crystal" or "Tom's of Maine" natural deodorants but not before my treatments. I still use the Crystal.
    -My Rad Onc team warned me not to take antioxidants supplements during my treatment. I was allowed to continue my Calcium, Vit D and multiple vitamin.
    -Keep us posted. Sending good vibes and positive thoughts. Hugs, K

Thanks, K
    In response to Ritzy's question, my oncologist mentioned 10 rounds (is "rounds" the right word?), so I'm guessing it will be something in that neighborhood. I'll probably skip wearing bras during that time...nice benefit of small breasts...and probably no one will notice. If I get into town this weekend, I might look around for some cheap, over-sized shirts, but I can also raid hubby's closet for large T's to sleep in.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Hugs and blessings to you all. Gracie
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806

Thanks, K
    In response to Ritzy's question, my oncologist mentioned 10 rounds (is "rounds" the right word?), so I'm guessing it will be something in that neighborhood. I'll probably skip wearing bras during that time...nice benefit of small breasts...and probably no one will notice. If I get into town this weekend, I might look around for some cheap, over-sized shirts, but I can also raid hubby's closet for large T's to sleep in.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. Hugs and blessings to you all. Gracie

Good luck
    Hope it all goes quickly and easily for you.

marge