peeling hands & feet

pinkflutterby
pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
my hands and feet get all red and then peel like a sun burn its a sight afect of my meds I know but I was wondering if anyone else experiences this and how you deal with it, painful and annoying!!!

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    when i was on taxotere and
    when i was on taxotere and cytoxan (my first round with chemo) the same thing happened to me. it was painful, but my onc told me that there was nothing they could give me, since everyone is different and what works for one person does not for the next. i started trying different lotions and creams and finally discovered gold bond healing with aloe. i used it constantly, and it really did help.

i hope you find something that works for you.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    heidijez said:

when i was on taxotere and
    when i was on taxotere and cytoxan (my first round with chemo) the same thing happened to me. it was painful, but my onc told me that there was nothing they could give me, since everyone is different and what works for one person does not for the next. i started trying different lotions and creams and finally discovered gold bond healing with aloe. i used it constantly, and it really did help.

i hope you find something that works for you.

Sunrae mentioned this and
    Sunrae mentioned this and they gave her steroids. she just posted on finishing chemo. I havent seen you r posts in a bit,(might have missed them) how are you? and I hope this clears up soon.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    carkris said:

Sunrae mentioned this and they gave her steroids. she just posted on finishing chemo. I havent seen you r posts in a bit,(might have missed them) how are you? and I hope this clears up soon.

After about 4 treatments of
    After about 4 treatments of Cytoxan and Taxotere I developed an infection on my hands, they blistered, burned and started peeling, big hunks of skin came off. I couldn't stand for anything to touch them, even water. My onc said it was a side effect of the Taxotere and she put me on Prednisone for a week, which helped the pain. When I had Taxotere after that I was given steroids for 3 days and it seems to have kept the infection at bay. It did also affect my feet but not as bad. Hope you get some relief but you might want to ask about taking steroids if it doesn't go way.
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    me too
    I had the same thing happen to my hands and feet when I was on Adriamycin/Cytoxan. Dr. didn't seem to know what to do, and it eventually got better by itself. Good luck to you; hope it clears up for you soon!
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Sunrae said:

After about 4 treatments of
    After about 4 treatments of Cytoxan and Taxotere I developed an infection on my hands, they blistered, burned and started peeling, big hunks of skin came off. I couldn't stand for anything to touch them, even water. My onc said it was a side effect of the Taxotere and she put me on Prednisone for a week, which helped the pain. When I had Taxotere after that I was given steroids for 3 days and it seems to have kept the infection at bay. It did also affect my feet but not as bad. Hope you get some relief but you might want to ask about taking steroids if it doesn't go way.

My hands split opened and
    My hands split opened and peeled. Didn't hurt bcus I couldn't feel anything due to neuropathy. Dr.gave me some extra time off to heal up and cut my chemo dosage in half. I put vasaline on my hands and wore gloves.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

I sure hope you find
    I sure hope you find something that will help you with this. And, I remember Sunrae having this too. Maybe, steroids will help you?

Good luck!
  • pinkflutterby
    linpsu said:

me too
    I had the same thing happen to my hands and feet when I was on Adriamycin/Cytoxan. Dr. didn't seem to know what to do, and it eventually got better by itself. Good luck to you; hope it clears up for you soon!

Im taking 8 xeolda pills a
    Im taking 8 xeolda pills a day chemo by pills. When I went last Tuesday for the treatment in my brain onc took me off the xeolda for a week I go back next Tuesday and shell ck my feet and hands again. Its gross and painful and Im sick of it!!1
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    linpsu said:

me too

me too
    I had a similar condition develop on my feet, more than my hands during my taxol treatments. I'd have little chunks of skin just fall, leaving the underlying skin open to the air and in hurt like hell. I used to slather that Gold Bond, super, duper healing cream on my feet and then cover them in two pair of socks. It helped. I also had problems with my nails detaching from the nail bed but my nails grew back in quickly after I finished treatment and look better than they did before! Yippie
  • pinkflutterby
    carkris said:

Im doing pretty good I read
    Im doing pretty good I read more than I post :) dont we all lol :) The cancer stage IV is gone from my breast and liver and is now "just" in my bones, bone marrow, spinal and brain fluid. I WILL BEAT THIS TOO!!!
  • pinkflutterby

me too
    I had a similar condition develop on my feet, more than my hands during my taxol treatments. I'd have little chunks of skin just fall, leaving the underlying skin open to the air and in hurt like hell. I used to slather that Gold Bond, super, duper healing cream on my feet and then cover them in two pair of socks. It helped. I also had problems with my nails detaching from the nail bed but my nails grew back in quickly after I finished treatment and look better than they did before! Yippie

I use aquafor 2 times a day
    I use aquafor 2 times a day it helps but does not relieve the pain. Onc gave me samples that have medication like the dentist uses to numb them but I have not started using them yet.
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169

I use aquafor 2 times a day
    I use aquafor 2 times a day it helps but does not relieve the pain. Onc gave me samples that have medication like the dentist uses to numb them but I have not started using them yet.

well...
    Ok, this worked for me. I hope it may bring you a bit of relief. I kept a bottle of good olive oil on my bathroom counter. I used it every time I washed my hands and then some. I slathered it on my hands, my feet, even on my poor lips. Best of luck-please hang in there!!! xoxo