Constant Coughing

sparkle1
sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had a constant, annoying cough that has lasted over a week? I talked with the nurse and since I'm not running a fever she thought I should contact my family doctor and it is not a side-effect from chemo. I have one treatment left in a few weeks then it's off to radiation. Any suggestion on how to stop the cough. I can't get a good nights' sleep.

Sparkle

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    me too!
    constant coughing. . .for more than a week. . .gotta be related to the chemo . . .it's the only thing different in my life.

and cough is listed as a side effect of cytoxan - which i am currently receiving in my chemo treatments.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I've still got the annoying cough
    I've still got the annoying cough every once in a while and I finished chemo 10/29/09. I'm sure the radiation didn't help either and I do have asthma.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I've still got the annoying cough
    I've still got the annoying cough every once in a while and I finished chemo 10/29/09. I'm sure the radiation didn't help either and I do have asthma.

Ladies .. Please contact family doctor .. it may develope
    into an upper respittory infection. Radation and chemo do a number on our bodies and immune system.

Vicki Sam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Ladies .. Please contact family doctor .. it may develope
    into an upper respittory infection. Radation and chemo do a number on our bodies and immune system.

Vicki Sam

I hope you got into see your
    I hope you got into see your doctor. Nothing should be overlooked. They can give you medicine for a cough that will help you to sleep. I can't remember what I was given right now when I had bronchitis, but, I slept like a baby with it. Good luck and update us.

Sue :)
  • sparkle1
    Thank you ladies. I have an
    Thank you ladies. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Monday. Still coughing.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    sparkle1 said:

Thank you ladies. I have an
    Thank you ladies. I have an appointment with my family doctor on Monday. Still coughing.

This definitely needs to be
    This definitely needs to be checked out! I have been having a cough lately, and i may have fluid at my lung bases. Shame on your nurse!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    meena1 said:

This definitely needs to be
    This definitely needs to be checked out! I have been having a cough lately, and i may have fluid at my lung bases. Shame on your nurse!

Glad you are getting in to
    Glad you are getting in to see your doctor. I found the medicine or cough suppressant that I got from my doctor when I had bronchitis. It was Tussionex Ext-Rel Sus. It put me to sleep at night and I never coughed, at least at night. So, I got a good nights sleep. But, it was for bronchitis, not for anything related to chemo side effects.

Let us know what you find out!

Sue :)
  • MerleBee
    MerleBee Member Posts: 49
    Constant Cough
    One of the drugs I was on was Cytoxin which can cause a cough. I found that if I drank a LOT of fluid it was better. If I didn't drink enough I coughed constantly! But first rule out any infection!
  • sparkle1
    Coughing is much better
    Coughing is much better since drinking alot of water. Cancelled doctor's appointment with family doctor. I have chemo treatment scheduled for next Wednesday, so thought I would wait and see. Too many appointments if I don't really need them. Don't want to take extra time from work if possible.

On another subject has anyone got unexplained bruising. My good arm has a large bruise on the wrist which has shoting pains up my arms. Any ideas on what to do and how to relieve the pain?

Sparkle
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    sparkle1 said:

Coughing is much better
    Coughing is much better since drinking alot of water. Cancelled doctor's appointment with family doctor. I have chemo treatment scheduled for next Wednesday, so thought I would wait and see. Too many appointments if I don't really need them. Don't want to take extra time from work if possible.

On another subject has anyone got unexplained bruising. My good arm has a large bruise on the wrist which has shoting pains up my arms. Any ideas on what to do and how to relieve the pain?

Sparkle

Coughing
    Sparkle....like has already been said, check with your doctor to make sure there is no infection. Cytoxin does cause one to cough, especially when lying down for the night. A nurse at the oncology group I went to suggested rubbing the bottom of my feet with Vicks Vapor Rub, and putting on sox before going to bed. Believe it or not, it worked. Also, I passed this along to my daughter-in-law who has three little ones. She has one who stays congested, and has a hard time sleeping. The Vicks stopped the cough every time she tried it. Would be worth a try. As far as bruising, sometimes that is a sign of anemia. A checkin with your doctor is warranted. Hope all is well. Hugs. Judy
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member

Coughing
    Sparkle....like has already been said, check with your doctor to make sure there is no infection. Cytoxin does cause one to cough, especially when lying down for the night. A nurse at the oncology group I went to suggested rubbing the bottom of my feet with Vicks Vapor Rub, and putting on sox before going to bed. Believe it or not, it worked. Also, I passed this along to my daughter-in-law who has three little ones. She has one who stays congested, and has a hard time sleeping. The Vicks stopped the cough every time she tried it. Would be worth a try. As far as bruising, sometimes that is a sign of anemia. A checkin with your doctor is warranted. Hope all is well. Hugs. Judy

Endless Coughing
    I caught a cold and literally coughed for 2 1/2 months. It was awful. My oncologist was well aware of the problem - how could he not be. I felt like I was a biological hazard out in the waiting room. He listened carefully to my lungs at every visit and said I did not have pneumonia - just a garden variety cold. No medications were prescribed. I did, however, drink a lot of hot tea. During this period of time I received 4 rounds of A/C (Adriamycin/Cytoxan) which was followed up by 12 rounds of Taxotere. I just finished my last round of Taxotere last Wednesday! Being immune-suppressed caused a common cold/cough take longer to resolve. Eventually it just petered out. I was immensely grateful.