MUST READ - For all the chemo babes

aysemari
aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My secret weapon while going through chemo
was coconut juice not mik. It is perfect to help you get through chemo.
As always check with your oncologist but mine was fine with it.
I had 6 rounds of T/C.

Here is a long list of things coconut water can do for you:

Helps keep the body cool and at the proper temperature.
Translation:It may help with chemo induced hot flashes.

Helps carry nutrients and oxygen to cells and boosts poor circulation.
Translation:See, everyone needs a boost from time to time especially on chemo.

Regulates the function of the intestine, helping promote smoother skin.
Translation: Doing something good for your insides helps with constipation
and can make you prettier outside!

Helps replenish your body's fluids after exercising.
Translation:Your body needs plenty of fluids during chemo. Fluids free of barley and hops. Go figure.

Helps detoxify your body and boost your immune system.
Translation:Keeps your immune system tough.

Helps ease stomach pains.
Translation:Calms your stomach. I got a lot of cramps during chemo stomach cramps and
charlie horse. Coconut juice has potassium which helps with these symptoms.

Coconut water contains high levels of lauric acid, what the body uses to make monolaurin, a disease-fighting fatty acid derivative. Lauric acid has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that protect the body against various infections and boost the
immune system.

FUN FACT: Coconut water can be used (in emergencies) as a substitute for blood plasma during blood transfusions.
The reason for this is that coconut water (the water found in coconuts - not to be confused with coconut milk, which comes from the flesh of the coconut) is sterile and has an ideal pH level.

I hope it will help you through your chemo.

Hugs,
Ayse

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I love coconut water!
    I love coconut water with pineapple (sort of reminds me of a pina colada. Not as good, but better than nothing).
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    I didn't have to take chemo
    I didn't have to take chemo Ayse, but, this is sure a good post for those that do.

Thanks,

Leeza
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Thank you for sharing this!
    Thank you for sharing this! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow! I need all the help I can get, I had my first chemo treatment Wednesday and I feel like sh*t ;)
  • aysemari

Thank you for sharing this!
    Thank you for sharing this! I'm going to pick some up tomorrow! I need all the help I can get, I had my first chemo treatment Wednesday and I feel like sh*t ;)

Heatherbelle
    I am so sorry you are not feeling well. I hope it doesn't hit
    you too hard. So treat yourself well and help your body to
    get rid of the toxins = HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE

Ayse
  • Yvette39
    Yvette39 Member Posts: 17
    Hello Ayse!
    Thank you for this interesting information. Can you buy coconut water in the carton or do you have to buy a coconut? Sorry but I've never noticed this before. I'm not a fan of coconut either but I will try it. Thanks for sharing!
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Yvette39 said:

Hello Ayse!
    Thank you for this interesting information. Can you buy coconut water in the carton or do you have to buy a coconut? Sorry but I've never noticed this before. I'm not a fan of coconut either but I will try it. Thanks for sharing!

I bought some yesterday
    at a health food/vitamin store. They have it in little cartons, or individual serving bottles. Plain or with some kind of flavoring. I got one of each of the three flavors to try out. So far I had the plain and I think it needs something for taste and will take a bit to get used to it.

Cindy
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Snowkitty said:

I bought some yesterday
    at a health food/vitamin store. They have it in little cartons, or individual serving bottles. Plain or with some kind of flavoring. I got one of each of the three flavors to try out. So far I had the plain and I think it needs something for taste and will take a bit to get used to it.

Cindy

Cindy,
    The taste isn't what I expected either. It's not like actual coconut, which I love. It is kind of bland, but I do drink it after my chemo. It is different and I do enjoy it. They carry Vita CoCo Coconut water at my local grocery stores.
  • aysemari
    Yvette39 said:

Hello Ayse!

Hello Yvette
    I buy mine from whole foods and it comes in a can.

It's very light in taste and just a tad sweet. I love it
    ice cold straight from the refrigerator.

It' is such a great thing to have around with chemo.
    I discovered towards the very end of my treatment
    but it sure helped.

Ayse
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    So does it help with the nausea and lack of appetite?
    I'm on round 3 of 6 and seriously feel like crap. I've been thinking about getting medical mj, but I'll try this too. Anything that helps is welcome. Thanks for posting.