Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    happy1992 said:

looking on the bringt side
    I just love all the positive comments you all are sending my way. What a great group of women! I am going to stay positive and think happy thoughts!! :)
    I am reading many of your stories and it makes me proud to be a woman!! I will keep all of you strong people in my thoughts and prayers. You truely inspire me!!
    I'll keep you updated... happy thoughts!

You do that, stay positive!
    You do that, stay positive!

Good luck to you!

Leeza
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

hmm
    This is why second opinions are so great.

I'd think needle biopsy would be the next step but I'm not a doctor.

Get a second opinion stat.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

A second opinion might be a
    A second opinion might be a really good thing to get now. I think anyone should that has even a little doubt. Good luck!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    lumpectomy
    I had a lumpectomy without having a biopsy first. If it was not cancer, it was still something that did not belong and I wanted it gone. If it was cancer, then it would be gone and I could move on to the next step.
  • NDY2010
    NDY2010 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    happy1992 said:

Got some answers
    OK ... I talked to the doctor today and here is what they said. They want to just remove it becuse the mammo and ultra sound show that the lump is "sufficently worrysome". That is why they are jumping right into taking it out.
    Thanks for sharing the info everyone... it helps me calm down a bit!
    I think I am in for a long week of waiting. I am afraid to tell my family since we are all still greiving loss of my sister. I will wait to tell them once I have the results. But boy I could sure use my mom right now!! Funny that no matter how old you get, you always still want your mom!!
    I am a teacher and school is starting in a few weeks, I would like to get the surgery done before classes start. But... time to put me first right now... students second.
    I will let everyone know when the surgery is!!
    PS - has anyone heard "sufficently worrysome" and it was NOT cancer?

Sufficently Worisome??
    My situation was two mammograms, then the ultrasound. I watched the ultrasound picture of my tumor on the screen and the radiologist was describing how jagged it was (not smooth & round like a cyst would be). I mentioned "Oh, then do you think it's cancer?" And much to my surprise he said "Yes, I'm 99% sure that's cancer." The ultrasound also indicated the probable spread to my underarm lymph nodes (which turned out to be true). My actual official cancer diagnosis wasn't until one month later after a core biopsy. Now of course mine was a large tumor (2.8cm) & it was "SO OBVIOUS". Smaller ones would probably be harder to decipher but still need to be checked out by the scheduled lumpectomy that your doctor has set up for you. Only then will they truly know. Catching it early is so important for the best outcome. I think the main key here is knowledge.

This has just hit you like a ton of bricks but trust me the more you find out, read, query, internet, the more comfortable you'll feel about your subsequent treatment. Most of the "old-timers" on this board will tell you that they now know "so much more" about breast cancer that was so foreign to them back at the beginning of their scary diagnosis.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    elm3544 said:

lumpectomy
    I had a lumpectomy without having a biopsy first. If it was not cancer, it was still something that did not belong and I wanted it gone. If it was cancer, then it would be gone and I could move on to the next step.

My friend just had a
    My friend just had a lumpectomy first, they said it was big enough to get rid of. it thankfully was benign
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Options
    It's your body
    and it's ok to ask questions. I write mine down so I don't forget.

I had a mammogram and then another mammogram and they found calcified clusters. They did a needle localization with surgery. My surgeon knew, just by looking at it, that it was cancerous so she did a lumpectomy at the same time. The tumor was 5mm which is less than 1/4 inch. I had clean margins. They found the tumor was DCIS - Stage 0 so they did radiation therapy. All of this started last August.

Because of where the tumor was located, near my ribs, they had to do a biopsy surgically. They tried another way but were unable to see it clearly enough. I have a half moon scar above my nipple. I begged the surgeon to put the incision beneath my swim suit line which she was able to do.

Do NOT be afraid to tell the doctor(s) your fear. This is your body. You have a right to know everything that is going on with it and everything that they are doing. If you do not feel comfortable with them, go to someone else.

I have my rad. onc. on speed dial. I leave a message and either my doc or her nurse gets back with me that day.

I agree that Mayo Clinic is a good website. So is American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen. I googled the individual results for each "thing" they listed on my diagnosis. I got a lot of information that led me to more questions that I wrote down for my doc. I would ask at my appointment and when I got home would think things through and call if I had more questions. I am probably repeating myself, but ASK and ASK AGAIN if you still don't understand. Take someone with you to help your memory. This is overwhelming.

You will be fine. Keep us posted.

Praying for you,
    Betsy