What is looked for in bloodwork?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my routine Onc visit today and had bloodwork done to look for cancer. I forgot the name of the test. (imagine that) It wasn't a CBC. Something with an M. It measures liver function or something with the liver. How is cancer detected in the blood? I'll know next week. And he said I won't be getting anymore petscans, but will go by the bloodwork. Is that how it is unless you have other symptoms? Thank God, I feel very good except for a stiff armpit. He says thats normal.

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Sorry laurissa, I don't
    Sorry laurissa, I don't know. I only know what CBC stands for. You know something weird? I went to Massachusetts General which is considered one of the best hospitals in the country and I never got a pet scan.

I had CT, MRI, bone scan and a chest biopsy done but no Pet Scan. I wonder why?
    Best of luck with the results, I like that he's testing for liver function.
    Wanda
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member

Sorry laurissa, I don't
    Sorry laurissa, I don't know. I only know what CBC stands for. You know something weird? I went to Massachusetts General which is considered one of the best hospitals in the country and I never got a pet scan.

I had CT, MRI, bone scan and a chest biopsy done but no Pet Scan. I wonder why?
    Best of luck with the results, I like that he's testing for liver function.
    Wanda

Metabolic Panel?
    Hi Laurissa. Was it a Metabolic Panel? If so, it checks for a lot of different things including liver enzymes. Some of those are are AST, ALT, and Alkaline Phosphatase which have to do with liver function. If you've been on chemo and any of the numbers come back elevated, don't be alarmed. That could be a temporary effect of the chemo. Some of the other things it tests for are the levels of glucose, calcium, sodium, and potassium. Hope this was helpful to you. Why don't you ask your doctor or lab for a copy of the results?

Here's wishing all your numbers are good!

MM
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Metabolic Panel?
    Hi Laurissa. Was it a Metabolic Panel? If so, it checks for a lot of different things including liver enzymes. Some of those are are AST, ALT, and Alkaline Phosphatase which have to do with liver function. If you've been on chemo and any of the numbers come back elevated, don't be alarmed. That could be a temporary effect of the chemo. Some of the other things it tests for are the levels of glucose, calcium, sodium, and potassium. Hope this was helpful to you. Why don't you ask your doctor or lab for a copy of the results?

Here's wishing all your numbers are good!

MM

I go to Beth israel and Dana
    I go to Beth israel and Dana Farber no Pet either. had a bone scan, CT, MRI, etc... I dont think its standard
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    carkris said:

I go to Beth israel and Dana
    I go to Beth israel and Dana Farber no Pet either. had a bone scan, CT, MRI, etc... I dont think its standard

Thanks carkris,
    I feel

Thanks carkris,
    I feel better about that.
    Have a great day!
    Wanda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Thanks carkris,
    I feel

Thanks carkris,
    I feel better about that.
    Have a great day!
    Wanda

Thank you Marsha .. I am going to bring this up during
    my next oncologist visit.

Vicki Sam
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Bloodwork
    Laurissa, I've asked my onc what he's looking for and his response was that he's looking for any side effects of the chemo. There was a patient in the practice who at 2 years out had developed leukemia (a 1 in 100 chance with taxotere/cytoxin). I hate to admit that my first response out of the gate was that hopefully I was one of the 99 who wouldn't get that side effect. After that selfish response, I got back on board with feeling empathy for this gal and praying for her success in battling this new cancer. My onc doesn't test for tumor markers because he wants me to live my life to the fullest and not worry needlessly. I like his approach to life. Take each day as it comes, enjoy life to the fullest, love with all your heart, and be assured that you're always in GOOD (God) hands.
    Much love,
    Beth
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Bloodwork
    laurissa,

I think it is a meatabolic panel for liver enzymes some as for cholrestrol. My PA told me today the tests they do for cancer detection. There are like 3. One is for any stray cancer cells in the blood and 2 others. They will also do a Pet scan on me in about 3 months. I really wish I could remember the others. I'm sorry I'm not more help.

Janie