Eyesight and chemo

ketziah35
ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Anyone had eyesight problems with chemo?

Comments

• Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Dim, blurry eyes
    Yes. My Onc told me that it would improve after finishing chemo. It has.

-Pat
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Eyesight
    I had laser surgery on my eyes back 10 years ago. All was good and then cancer and chemo and wambam, I am wearing glasses again. I am not certain it was the cancer treatments but it is closely timed.

Best of luck with your vision.

Mike
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Vision
    Mine did but was wearing glasses before that. Just seemed like they got worse though. It could be age :) at least for me anyway.

Kim
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438

Vision
    Mine did but was wearing glasses before that. Just seemed like they got worse though. It could be age :) at least for me anyway.

Kim

Like Mike
    I had lasik surgery about 8 years ago. I have mono-vision correction. I have not noticed a real difference in my distance vision, however, my close vision has definitely gotten worse since my chemo began. I cannot help but believe that there is a connection. I had to buy a cheap pair of 1.0 readers and close one eye when I use them. HAHA.

Joanne
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    JDuke said:

Like Mike
    I had lasik surgery about 8 years ago. I have mono-vision correction. I have not noticed a real difference in my distance vision, however, my close vision has definitely gotten worse since my chemo began. I cannot help but believe that there is a connection. I had to buy a cheap pair of 1.0 readers and close one eye when I use them. HAHA.

Joanne

Yes, also blurred vision.........
    but since finishing chemo in 2009 mid may it seems to be better now......Buzz
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    I did
    I've always had 20/10 vision until a few years ago when it declined to 20/15 with astigmatism. So I was still better than the general population for vision, but I really had trouble with night vision.

When I started chemo my close vision got really bad. I had a lot of eye pain, and a lot of tearing too. It still isn't stable, but has improved. My left eye still tears a lot. I look like I'm crying sometimes when I am not because they just run down my face - but almost always just the one eye. Some mornings I wake up and my vision is pretty clear. Other times foggy/blurry, especially up close, but I have noticed a good improvement in the last month. I've been done with chemo 3 months now. My distance sight still seems to be pretty good. I'm waiting till this all stabilizes to get my eyes checked again. My grandmother has macular degeneration, and we just found out my mother has it now too. My siblings and I were warned to get checked regularly. I think my issues are chemo related right now - not anything else.
  • LOUSWIFT
    LOUSWIFT Member Posts: 371 Member
    cataract
    My left eye was damaged to the extend that I developed a cataract. My left side for some rason always took a harder hit from the chemo. I did have to have the cataract removed and a plastic lense put in. Surgery took less than a minute only drawback is things called floaters. Kind of like large and small black threads "floating" around. The eye does absorb most of them but after two years I still have a one I named Uranus- kind of medium-size and is most noticiable with bright light somewhat like the planet. Better than a cataract.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    LOUSWIFT said:

cataract
    My left eye was damaged to the extend that I developed a cataract. My left side for some rason always took a harder hit from the chemo. I did have to have the cataract removed and a plastic lense put in. Surgery took less than a minute only drawback is things called floaters. Kind of like large and small black threads "floating" around. The eye does absorb most of them but after two years I still have a one I named Uranus- kind of medium-size and is most noticiable with bright light somewhat like the planet. Better than a cataract.

Yes, burn baby burn! They
    Yes, burn baby burn! They hurt like heck!
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Nana b said:

Yes, burn baby burn! They
    Yes, burn baby burn! They hurt like heck!

peepers
    You are definitely not alone on this one. I sometimes get blurry vision but then it goes away.
  • eric38 said:

peepers
    You are definitely not alone on this one. I sometimes get blurry vision but then it goes away.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

FYI
    The chemo is in your eyes, but it will go away once you're done. I would not even let my grand kids drink after me, or take bites out of what I was eating for fear that they would get the chemo. I also showered alot to get the chemo out of my pores and scalp. The mosquitoes even stayed away from me!
  • dschreffler
    dschreffler Member Posts: 58 Member
    I've had no noticeable
    I've had no noticeable acceleration of my normally degrading eyesight - just got my first pair of progressive lens last year . Computer desk jockey compounded by wearing glasses since 5, so at 45, not surprised.

I do seem to have some sensitivity to bright light post infusion days.