Medi Port Removal?

cathtx
cathtx Member Posts: 7
Good Morning everyone! I have been lurking around this board for awhile and now I have a question! How long do most people wait before they have their port removed? I have completed 5 cycles of ABVD and have 1 cycle left and I want my port out as soon as possible. It is really bothersome! My onc said I could have it out as soon as I am done with chemo but I have noticed some people leave them in for awhile. My PET scan in June showed no traces of the cancer and I will not be receiving radiation. Any advice?
Thank you,
Cat

Comments

  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    port
    Hey Cat, congrat's on finishing your treatment!, I heard at least two years, my Dad had his in for 5 years!, I hate mine too, but I would rather leave it in, then to have them take it out, and my luck relapse in a year. I would not like to go thru that surgery again! Vinny
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    PORTA CATH
    Cat,
    They told me the same thing about the porta cath as vinny was saying. They said they want to leave it in for the maintenance. I am nhl stage 4. I am in the middle of my treatments right now,just finished round 3. The porta cath can be a pain, but I will leave it in just for the maintenance. It would be a little easier than getting stuck all the time with the rituxan. Don't get me wrong it is still no picnic when they stick that port with a needle. John
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    COBRA666 said:

    PORTA CATH
    Cat,
    They told me the same thing about the porta cath as vinny was saying. They said they want to leave it in for the maintenance. I am nhl stage 4. I am in the middle of my treatments right now,just finished round 3. The porta cath can be a pain, but I will leave it in just for the maintenance. It would be a little easier than getting stuck all the time with the rituxan. Don't get me wrong it is still no picnic when they stick that port with a needle. John

    Cath Access
    John,
    I place Lidocaine and prilocaine cream, 2.5%/2.5% covered with saran wrap over my cath access site 1-2 hours before the site will be accessed. It works great! That spray numbing stuff didn't work for beans. Have you used this RX at all? All I can feel is pressure but, no pain at all! Kellie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    KC13167 said:

    Cath Access
    John,
    I place Lidocaine and prilocaine cream, 2.5%/2.5% covered with saran wrap over my cath access site 1-2 hours before the site will be accessed. It works great! That spray numbing stuff didn't work for beans. Have you used this RX at all? All I can feel is pressure but, no pain at all! Kellie

    lidocaine
    Kellie,
    Can you buy the lidocaine OTC or is it prescription?
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    COBRA666 said:

    lidocaine
    Kellie,
    Can you buy the lidocaine OTC or is it prescription?

    Lidocaine
    Hey John, ask your onc for a script for Embla cream, works just the way Kellie stated. I can not believe that the doctors don't pre numb before acessing a port. Both my oncologist's office and my hospitals oncology depts use lidocaine injection before any sort of port or vein acess. LOVE IT!!!!! I don't allow acess with out it, no wy, no how, LOL. Why oh why do they feel its ok to cause unneeded pain.
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    COBRA666 said:

    lidocaine
    Kellie,
    Can you buy the lidocaine OTC or is it prescription?

    Port
    It's an RX. It's just crazy that they would poke a port without numbing it first. The needle has a very wide bore; OUCHY! Kellie