Got the courage to go topless last night--not exactly as expected!

missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have less than 1/4" of hair all around, but I got the courage to go topless for the first time last night. To compound the anxiety, I colored my hair yesterday afternoon with some natural henna rinse from Whole Foods. The colored was called "chocolate" so I thought--okay, sort of a medium brown shade. Silly me--I followed directions exactly. Guess what--I'm a carrot-top. I don't know how "chocolate" could ever be confused with orange, but that's what I got. You know what---I did it anyway--I went out with no headscarf for the first time in 7 months--as a carrot top! All I needed was a little car and a horn and I could have been a circus clown! But, I have to admit it--it was liberating and I felt brave and fierce. I'll keep trying to get closer to my original hair color. Wish me luck!

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Henna is red based, so your
    Henna is red based, so your hair picked up the red in the dye. Your hair is not the same as before, I was told that there are still chemicals that will come out in your hair from the chemo, so you may have a different reaction to the dye. Well, that aside....you have hair!!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    meena1 said:

Henna is red based, so your hair picked up the red in the dye. Your hair is not the same as before, I was told that there are still chemicals that will come out in your hair from the chemo, so you may have a different reaction to the dye. Well, that aside....you have hair!!!

Yes, I walked around calling myself Lucille Ball for weeks ...
    I didn't touch my hair for months .. I am now about 3.5 inches are longer - that is until a month ago .. I wanted to be a dark brownie red, turned out with my new virgin hair - to look like Lucille Ball. I laughed then cried. I waited all of 3 days then put another semi rinse on it .. this lasted 1 week .. so I lived with this color for a while.. even now and again ... I put on a temp rinse - dark brown .. Hate it ..

Best of luck .. How long does Henna last ?

Meena .. thank you for the insight regading our hair and chemo chemicals .. should of asked you before going .. Lucille Ball - red.

Vicki Sam
  • missrenee
    VickiSam said:

Yes, I walked around calling myself Lucille Ball for weeks ...
    I didn't touch my hair for months .. I am now about 3.5 inches are longer - that is until a month ago .. I wanted to be a dark brownie red, turned out with my new virgin hair - to look like Lucille Ball. I laughed then cried. I waited all of 3 days then put another semi rinse on it .. this lasted 1 week .. so I lived with this color for a while.. even now and again ... I put on a temp rinse - dark brown .. Hate it ..

Best of luck .. How long does Henna last ?

Meena .. thank you for the insight regading our hair and chemo chemicals .. should of asked you before going .. Lucille Ball - red.

Vicki Sam

Right you are Vicki
    Shoulda checked this sight first! The good thing about my color--it's 100% natural and it starts to wash out with every shampoo. So the box says! I'm really hoping it does--I have a long weekend planned over Labor Day to my sister's (who is the queen of chic and trendy). Another question--would it help to try to tone this down with another color from the line--or will I only be making it worse? Anyone know? HELP!

Renee
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    missrenee said:

Right you are Vicki
    Shoulda checked this sight first! The good thing about my color--it's 100% natural and it starts to wash out with every shampoo. So the box says! I'm really hoping it does--I have a long weekend planned over Labor Day to my sister's (who is the queen of chic and trendy). Another question--would it help to try to tone this down with another color from the line--or will I only be making it worse? Anyone know? HELP!

Renee

Hair color
    If you go to a place like sally's, buy anything with a green base to it and it will help remove the red. To mix color is easy. It's a 2oz bottle of color so you mix 2 oz of 20 cream developer. Shake and go for it.
  • VickiSam
    Kat11 said:

Hair color
    If you go to a place like sally's, buy anything with a green base to it and it will help remove the red. To mix color is easy. It's a 2oz bottle of color so you mix 2 oz of 20 cream developer. Shake and go for it.

Thanks, Kat11 .. I have so many hair potions -- Sally will
    be my next stop. If I ask for a semi-perm color with a green base to dull out my red, someone there will know what I am talking about ?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam said:

Thanks, Kat11 .. I have so many hair potions -- Sally will
    be my next stop. If I ask for a semi-perm color with a green base to dull out my red, someone there will know what I am talking about ?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you,

Vicki Sam

Miss Rene .. My suggestion only -- and we both know
    what happened to me .. is to take Kat11 information about Sally's, go there maybe purchase something and wait a few weeks before putting on new color.. Henna washes out .. give your scalp and hair a few weeks to rest and relax ..maybe the color will fade.

I considered myself pretty much put together, even during chemo all my hats, scarves and outfit match - BC and chemo killed my looks but not my pajazz .. I am sure you are in the same boat, just by looking at your photo! Your sister will be in HEAVEN just seeing you, and being able to hug you, Rene. Maybe she can help you with the new color ! Just an idea.

Your red headed sister,

Vicki Sam
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    meena1 said:

Congrats! Sorry your hair
    Congrats! Sorry your hair color didn't turn out the way you wanted. Hoping you can get it to the next time!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Im glad I read your post and
    Im glad I read your post and others here regarding hair dye. I was planning on trying to color my hair soon. Sorry I will benefit from your not so great experience. lol.. Congrats on going topless. I have to admit, since I started, I feel better about myself.
    Lupe
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    You're too funny Renee!
    I am sooo sure you did NOT look like a circus clown. Good for you! That must have felt liberating.

Thanks for the laugh...I needed that! And I'll bet your hair looks really cool.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • missrenee
    sea60 said:

You're too funny Renee!
    I am sooo sure you did NOT look like a circus clown. Good for you! That must have felt liberating.

Thanks for the laugh...I needed that! And I'll bet your hair looks really cool.

Blessings,

Sylvia

Thanks, Sylvia
    Actually, it does look kind of edgy. One thing for sure--I would have never had the guts to do this hairdo voluntarily!!!
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    missrenee said:

Thanks, Sylvia
    Actually, it does look kind of edgy. One thing for sure--I would have never had the guts to do this hairdo voluntarily!!!

I just read this on time
    My dearest Renee,

you saved me!! I was just about to do the exact same thing, get Henna.

But now, I think I will hold off on it. I tried Henna once before and had
    green hair for a while.

CONGRATS on the baby hair!!

Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    I too thank you for the warning.
    If I stretch it a little I think my hair is about half an inch long. It is mostly white and I keep thinking it will look like more if I color it but I have been afraid to ruin it. After reading your post I think I will wait a little longer. I did stop wearing my wig this week because the temps are over 100 degrees every day and it's too hot to wear a wig. I haven't noticed any weird looks or gotten any comments yet so I think I will continue to go "topless". Now I can take the note off of my front door reminding me to put my wig on.

Jamie :-)
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    missrenee said:

Thanks, Sylvia

Haha
    I hear ya!!! Amen Sistah!