Painful hips and legs at night?

Options
Tripleneg66
Tripleneg66 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am finished with my chemo (Cytoxin/Taxotere) and 36 radiation treatments. I have been done with radiation about a week. Now I am having pain in my legs and hips at night. It feels like when I had the Neulasta injections. Not stabbing type pain, just dull, achy pain that wakes me up. Anyone have these and what did you do for them? Doesn't seem to bother me in the daytime or when I'm active. Thanks for any information.

Comments

• m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    i get this now-20 yrs after
    i get this now-20 yrs after my chemo!

But mine may be due to my sleeping posistion. Try sleeping on your back with a firm pillow under the crook of your knees. This was a tip given to me on another site to alleviate my back pain when sleeping on my back,but i found it helped my hips and knees also.

Unfortunatly,my joint pains may be a sign of chemo induced early menopause.
  • Tripleneg66
    Tripleneg66 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    m-star said:

i get this now-20 yrs after
    i get this now-20 yrs after my chemo!

But mine may be due to my sleeping posistion. Try sleeping on your back with a firm pillow under the crook of your knees. This was a tip given to me on another site to alleviate my back pain when sleeping on my back,but i found it helped my hips and knees also.

Unfortunatly,my joint pains may be a sign of chemo induced early menopause.

Painful hips and legs at night.
    Thanks for the reply. I sleep on my side and when I try to sleep on my back I always end up on my left side. I will try the pillow trick. My doctor wants to give me Mirapex, a drug for restless leg syndrome to see if it helps, but I don't like the side effects and was hoping someone else had the same post-chemo symptoms. I have never had this before the chemo.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Painful hips and legs at night.
    Thanks for the reply. I sleep on my side and when I try to sleep on my back I always end up on my left side. I will try the pillow trick. My doctor wants to give me Mirapex, a drug for restless leg syndrome to see if it helps, but I don't like the side effects and was hoping someone else had the same post-chemo symptoms. I have never had this before the chemo.

Yes, chemo and induced menopause .. Please check with
    your doctors, and get medication. Pillow positioning has always helped me and my lower back. I cry at nights when the pain becomes over powering .. I also refuse to take anything stronger than, Advil. Just me .. I refuse to continue putting drugs into my body - Again just me.

I have finished my 3 chemo drug treatment -- 18 straight weeks in late December 2009, and my knees and left ankle have continued to hurt .. 7 months later -- I don't think my pain has anything to do with my continued herceptin chemo treatments .. just a side effort that will take some time to get over, like my dripping nose.

Best of luck,

Vicki Sam
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options
    hip pain
    I am through 2 of 4 taxotere/cytoxan treatments and I do have hip pain as well as bone pain in other areas. My onco said bone pain can be a side effect of the taxotere, although it's not a common side effect. Guess we are just the lucky ones! lol Good luck!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Kimosabe said:

hip pain
    I am through 2 of 4 taxotere/cytoxan treatments and I do have hip pain as well as bone pain in other areas. My onco said bone pain can be a side effect of the taxotere, although it's not a common side effect. Guess we are just the lucky ones! lol Good luck!

Hip, Joint, ankle and knee's are INDEED a side
    effort of taxotere or taxol. Onco like to fool themselves into thinking the only ...
    "side effort" we women will have is the hair loss, and some levels of depleted engery.
    HAHA ... That why I selected a Onco who had several women in his office that had gone thru breast cancer, reconstruction, chemo and surgery. They have to remind him, that side efforts are more than hair loss.

Best of Luck ..

Strength and Courage :-))

Vicki Sam
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Kimosabe said:

hip pain

Guess i fit into this lucky
    Guess i fit into this lucky club too! Like Vicki i dont like taking drugs and avoid it if i can but mine isnt as bad as it use to be so its more bearable. I too would cry at times when it would hurt so bad.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Options
    jo jo said:

Guess i fit into this lucky
    Guess i fit into this lucky club too! Like Vicki i dont like taking drugs and avoid it if i can but mine isnt as bad as it use to be so its more bearable. I too would cry at times when it would hurt so bad.

well i have been a side
    well i have been a side sleeper all mylife and im pretty sure its done nothing for my posture,spine and pelvis.

I found if i tried to sleep on mt back,not only did it hurt my lower back,but i used to end up rolling onto my sides again anyway.

The firm pillow behind the knees really helps, It stops me rolling over and it pushes the small of my back into the bed more-re-aligning my spine so i dont wake up with a bad back. I also found that with laying on my side,my hips and pelvis suffered alot of pain. If you really cant sleep on your back and have to sleep on your side,again,put a firm pillow between your knees to keep your pelvis aligned.

I know its more the drugs that are causing your pains,but it may help a bit by altering your sleeping posistion and trying the pillows. I too have cried in the night cus i've been in so much pain. I usually sit it out too as i hate taking pain med's unless its unbearable.

Hope you find a solution soon

(((Hugs)))
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    m-star said:

well i have been a side
    well i have been a side sleeper all mylife and im pretty sure its done nothing for my posture,spine and pelvis.

I found if i tried to sleep on mt back,not only did it hurt my lower back,but i used to end up rolling onto my sides again anyway.

The firm pillow behind the knees really helps, It stops me rolling over and it pushes the small of my back into the bed more-re-aligning my spine so i dont wake up with a bad back. I also found that with laying on my side,my hips and pelvis suffered alot of pain. If you really cant sleep on your back and have to sleep on your side,again,put a firm pillow between your knees to keep your pelvis aligned.

I know its more the drugs that are causing your pains,but it may help a bit by altering your sleeping posistion and trying the pillows. I too have cried in the night cus i've been in so much pain. I usually sit it out too as i hate taking pain med's unless its unbearable.

Hope you find a solution soon

(((Hugs)))

yes yes
    I had the same after chemo side effects. My legs hurt all the time. Then all my joint areas. I take omega fish oil and glucosamine chondroitin for joint health, joint lubricants. I also see a chiropractor which helps tremendously.
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Options
    I finished my chemo of
    I finished my chemo of Taxotere and Carbo back in March. Still on Hercepting and started Tamoxifen over a month ago, and I just complained to my onco my bone pains, especially my right hip at night. He advise me to start taking a baby aspirin every day. Hum... I wonder how long will these pains last after chemo.
    Lupe
  • dabicknell
    dabicknell Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Kimosabe said:

hip pain

hip pain
    thanks for the info I am also done with two treatments, and hip pain and restless legs keeps me awake also, take care.