neuropathy advice

Options
elaine77
elaine77 Member Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My dad has severe neuropathy for the oxyplatin can you please let me know what you have done to try tpo alleviate the neuropathy and if it gets better in time?

Comments

• lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    Ask your Dad

Hi Elaine,

Ask your Dad to contact his oncologist about trying ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID.
    I participated in a clinical trial through MD Anderson.

I truly believed it helped!

Primary PREVENTION OF CISPLATIN- OR OXALIPLATIN-INDUCED PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY WITH ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID

Primary 1. To determine if treatment with á-lipoic acid (ALA, thioctic acid) treatment can decrease the severity and frequency of peripheral neuropathy after 24 weeks of chemotherapy that includes cisplatin or oxaliplatin, as measured by the FACT GOG-NTX scale and compared to placebo-treated control patients.
  • Unknown
    Options

Hi Elaine,
    Ask your Dad

Hi Elaine,

Ask your Dad to contact his oncologist about trying ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID.
    I participated in a clinical trial through MD Anderson.

I truly believed it helped!

Primary PREVENTION OF CISPLATIN- OR OXALIPLATIN-INDUCED PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY WITH ALPHA-LIPOIC ACID

Primary 1. To determine if treatment with á-lipoic acid (ALA, thioctic acid) treatment can decrease the severity and frequency of peripheral neuropathy after 24 weeks of chemotherapy that includes cisplatin or oxaliplatin, as measured by the FACT GOG-NTX scale and compared to placebo-treated control patients.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi Gracie,
    Hi Gracie,

I would strongly suggest that you take 8 oz of Prune Juice each night before bed. You may have to adjust it up or down depending upon your system. You will find it is a perfect natural laxative and your bms will develop daily usually first thing in the morning. Your frequency will lessen as your bms will be larger. Remember how very important it is to drink the water too. EIGHT glasses a day is very important for your metabolism and digestion.

I hope these tips will help you.

Hugs,
    Lizzy
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Folfox also constipated me
    I kept my supply of Immodium handy having been warned about the diarrhea from chemo, but I, too, was one of those who was constipated by FolFox. I believe I kept up with senna and colace through treatments, starting before chemo. The prune juice suggestion is also very good, I would think preferable to controlling it with pills.

We all react differently, and have to do the best we can to deal with our side effects.

On the neuropathy note - Alpha Lipoic Acid has proven very helpful to me. I started it well after chemo, and saw favorable results very quickly (600 mg/day; tho I was told to take up to 1600 mg/day. I could never stomach more than 1200mg in a day.)

Vit. B6 is also recommended, and then there is neurontin that helps some people, but I didn't want to deal with the side effects. I'm extremely drug-sensitive, and didn't want to throw something else into the mix.

Alice
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Gracie
    I can hardly believe you are going through all this + driving 100 miles a day! You are one strong woman! I hope you can feel better soon.
  • Unknown
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Gracie
    I can hardly believe you are going through all this + driving 100 miles a day! You are one strong woman! I hope you can feel better soon.

• Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hey Elaine - My doctor added
    Hey Elaine - My doctor added Magnesium and Calcium to my infusion. I'm pretty sure it was to help with the neuropathy.

I finished Folfox in Feb. The neuropathy got a little worse before it got better. Surgery in April made it worse also. It's much better now. My fingers still tingle. It's hard to do small things like button shits or tie fishing knots. My feet also feel slushy, but they are much better. It takes months, but it does get better. I smile every time I fill up my thermos with ice.

For me the most significant effect of Folfox was that it **** destroyed loads of cancer cells.

Hang in there.
    Roger
  • elaine77
    elaine77 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Crow71 said:

Hey Elaine - My doctor added
    Hey Elaine - My doctor added Magnesium and Calcium to my infusion. I'm pretty sure it was to help with the neuropathy.

I finished Folfox in Feb. The neuropathy got a little worse before it got better. Surgery in April made it worse also. It's much better now. My fingers still tingle. It's hard to do small things like button shits or tie fishing knots. My feet also feel slushy, but they are much better. It takes months, but it does get better. I smile every time I fill up my thermos with ice.

For me the most significant effect of Folfox was that it **** destroyed loads of cancer cells.

Hang in there.
    Roger

Thank you everyone this
    Thank you everyone this really helps my dad alot! I really appreciate you taking the time to help out
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

So sorry
    I'm so sorry to hear this Gracie. You know my story - you seem to be following in my footsteps some, which I don't wish on anyone.

You CAN get through this! I did! I just made it through the month of July with NO doctor appointments - not a single one! Hallelujah! This is after every month since last August being filled with appointment after appointment - with hospital stays and ER visits, labs and more. Much of my life was lived in appointments, but that is done now. You will get there too.

You HAVE to take your Coumadin. Blood clots are dangerous. Soon enough you will be off it, but please take it for now.

PM me if you want - I've been through all that you are going through.