question for you guys

mrs gadget
mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Ok...here is a weird one...I will describe it a step at a time..

1) I go in for routine mammogram, they find a few micro calcifications, and an enlarged lymph node and do an ultra sound and send me home saying we will just wait and see.

2) I come back in six months and the micro calcifications have decreased. However, they decide to biopsy the lymph node and the results show I have breast cancer

3) I visit a breast surgeon who says if the cancer is in the lymph nodes then there must be a tumor in the breast and schedules an MRI. The MRI shows a 9mm area of concern and they reccomend an ultra sound

4) I get an ultra sound and they still can't find a tumor in the breast

Question: Is it possible to have breast cancer without having a tumor in the breast? If they can't find the tumor, how do they fix the problem?

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    It's possible........
    This wasn't my experience, but a close friend had a similar experience......she had a mammo then 3 weeks later discovered a small pearl size "lump/bump" near the upper part of her armpit almost where it meets one's shoulder... it is considered breast cancer although no lump was found in the actual breast on that side....breast tissue is extensive......more so than I ever knew.....she had it removed, clean nodes, and had radiation.....that was 4 years ago.....don't know if this helps you in any way.....

Peace be with you
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    MAJW said:

It's possible........
    This wasn't my experience, but a close friend had a similar experience......she had a mammo then 3 weeks later discovered a small pearl size "lump/bump" near the upper part of her armpit almost where it meets one's shoulder... it is considered breast cancer although no lump was found in the actual breast on that side....breast tissue is extensive......more so than I ever knew.....she had it removed, clean nodes, and had radiation.....that was 4 years ago.....don't know if this helps you in any way.....

Peace be with you

Sometimes---
    Cancer can be quite sneaky, as we know. IF nothing is showing on the ultrasound, BUT there is an area on the MRI, if this were me, I think I'd demand a biopsy on the area just to see what is going on here. Could be something, may be nothing. It could be that it's so early, things just have "come together" as they will later.

Best wishes, and hoping you get the answers you need as soon as possible.

Jennifer
  • bakerette
    bakerette Member Posts: 74
    Well, My mammogram showed
    Well, My mammogram showed calcifications and also no lump, but the doctor insisted on a biopsy of that area. Sure enough very early very small DCIS. Then I got an MRI and that showed another very small spot which another biopsy showed to be very small very early DCIS. Because it was two places and because I am small breasted we opted for a bilaterl mast. with immediate reconstruction. So, here I am two weeks after bilateral mastectomy got lab results says they could find no other cancer in either breast or in the nodes. So, basically surgery was my cure. I don't think I will need any other treatment. Just close observation over the coming years. I will be seeing an oncologist next Thursday just for peace of mind.