If the government has money to burn ...

Options
JADot
JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
..... Why don't we help to direct it toward cancer research or pay for treatments for those who cannot afford it?

This is not a rhetorical question.

In case you haven't heard, our government is investigating Lance Armstrong for doping in the past. The same investigator who investigated Barry Bonds and Marion Jones is now after Lance.

Do you guys thing it's a good use of our tax money to try destroy Lance instead of destroying cancer?

Lance has been such a beacon of hope to so many in their fight against cancer. As recent as last weekend, Lance and his team members donned black jerseys on the last day of the Tour de France with the number 28 to honor the 28 million people who are living, fighting cancer. To get a better idea of what Lance does to fight cancer, see www.livestrong.org.

I ask myself what good can possibly come out of our government going after Lance.

What do you think?

I am calling my congressmen tomorrow.

Jadot

Comments

• PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    What good can possibly come
    What good can possibly come of it? Is that a relevant question? It's not the job of a public investigator or prosecutor to do good.

--Greg
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Too easy of a question
    It's the American way to build up someone (Lance, Barry Bonds) then to tear them down. We love it when someone is an underdog but once they reach the pinnacle of their profession, we cheer to see them fail. Of course it's not ALL Americans. We're also great at putting pressure on people to win at all costs. Who wants to see a fair fight? Few people. That's why there is so much crap on TV (IMO).

We have little if any say on how our tax dollars are spent. Chances are that most of us would not approve of how the majority of OUR money is spent.

I agree Jadot, who really cares what these guys did while playing "games". They are not splitting atoms, they are playing sports which are just games that really mean nothing as far as humankind goes other than making some people feel good by living though those who actually DO the sport.

I'd much rather see the $$$ go to cancer research that to tear someone down that the system built up in the first place.

If you REALLY want to get riled with our tax dollars, look into Hydrofracking. That's the procedure where they pump water and a cocktail of carcinogenic compounds down into the rocks (often in mountains like the Catskills in NY which is next on the list) in order to cause minor earthquakes that then releases natural gas. Meanwhile, the public water supply is very often ruined and the wildlife and surrounding area is destroyed. People actually have had their faucets become a sort of flame-thrower because the gas seeps into their well water, then up into the homes rendering the water supply useless.

All this for more fossil fuels. On a side not, they won't even release the "formula" of the compound that they pump into the ground. It was made by **** Cheney so you know it's got to be a good one!

So there goes more tax money. But, on the bright side, not there will be more cases of cancer for them to do research on once they are done wasting $$$ on Lance and Barry
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Gubberment

So much blame is pointed to attorneys, when it's people that
    ask for their involvement, or people that refuse to own up to
    their responsibilities and cause their involvement.

Re. Lance Baby:

"SCA's dispute with Mr. Armstrong began in 2004, when SCA declined
    to pay Mr. Armstrong $5 million in bonuses it had agreed to pay
    the cyclist if he won the race, citing published reports and
    other allegations that he had doped.

Mr. Armstrong and Tailwind Sports, the company that operated the
    U.S. Postal Service cycling team for several years, sued SCA for
    payment. The case went to arbitration. SCA ultimately agreed to a
    $7.5 million settlement with Mr. Armstrong that included interest
    and attorney fees. "

The case is about fraud

It's a nice diversion from the usual stuff, though..

(anyone see my meth around here?)

John
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Athletes
    Why can't they win "fair and square". Why do particular athletes need to cheat to win and what message does that send to youth? Do I like tax dollars wasted on these "cheats", heck no, could be put to much better use. Children look up to athletes and professional athletes have a responsibility to them. What message does that send, cheating is good and honesty is bad?

If Lance is a "cheater" then all the good he is doing will be overshadowed by his cheating, and that is so very sad.

Tina
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    or they
    Can give it to me!!! I have lots of cancer friends I can help with it.

Brooks
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    geotina said:

Athletes
    Why can't they win "fair and square". Why do particular athletes need to cheat to win and what message does that send to youth? Do I like tax dollars wasted on these "cheats", heck no, could be put to much better use. Children look up to athletes and professional athletes have a responsibility to them. What message does that send, cheating is good and honesty is bad?

If Lance is a "cheater" then all the good he is doing will be overshadowed by his cheating, and that is so very sad.

Tina

Fair and Square is square
    Fair and Square is a thing of the past I'm afraid. It's all about winning at any cost.
  • JADot
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Too easy of a question
    It's the American way to build up someone (Lance, Barry Bonds) then to tear them down. We love it when someone is an underdog but once they reach the pinnacle of their profession, we cheer to see them fail. Of course it's not ALL Americans. We're also great at putting pressure on people to win at all costs. Who wants to see a fair fight? Few people. That's why there is so much crap on TV (IMO).

We have little if any say on how our tax dollars are spent. Chances are that most of us would not approve of how the majority of OUR money is spent.

I agree Jadot, who really cares what these guys did while playing "games". They are not splitting atoms, they are playing sports which are just games that really mean nothing as far as humankind goes other than making some people feel good by living though those who actually DO the sport.

I'd much rather see the $$$ go to cancer research that to tear someone down that the system built up in the first place.

If you REALLY want to get riled with our tax dollars, look into Hydrofracking. That's the procedure where they pump water and a cocktail of carcinogenic compounds down into the rocks (often in mountains like the Catskills in NY which is next on the list) in order to cause minor earthquakes that then releases natural gas. Meanwhile, the public water supply is very often ruined and the wildlife and surrounding area is destroyed. People actually have had their faucets become a sort of flame-thrower because the gas seeps into their well water, then up into the homes rendering the water supply useless.

All this for more fossil fuels. On a side not, they won't even release the "formula" of the compound that they pump into the ground. It was made by **** Cheney so you know it's got to be a good one!

So there goes more tax money. But, on the bright side, not there will be more cases of cancer for them to do research on once they are done wasting $$$ on Lance and Barry

So true
    Phillieg:

Hydrofracking - truly depressing stuff. I can't even think about it w/o upsetting my immune system.

You nailed it - given all the real evil in the world, why go after Lance?

For all that Lance has done for the cancer cause, and indirectly for us, is there anything we can do for Lance? This is really the reason why I posted. I guess people on this board by default already have a lot to deal with, so I can understand the reaction.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

JADot
  • JADot
    Options
    geotina said:

Athletes

Tina

Cast of interesting characters
    Tina,

I can see your point, yet I still struggle with the people behind the case: Greg Lemond who has been resentful for years, Floyd Landis who, for the record, is a liar, and a prosecutor who built a name for himself bring down big-name athletes. Then I think about Lance being one of us, with 3% chance to live, he beat all the odds and triumphed.

I agree it's so very sad.

Thanks for your reply Tina.

JADot