Fingernails and toenails

linpsu
linpsu Member Posts: 747
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know this is a minor issue compared to most of the topics being discussed here, but I was wondering what your experiences were if you lost any of your fingernails or toenails, and what they looked like before that happened. I've lost one toenail after noticing a smallish dark spot under the nail. I have a few other toenails with dark spots and so I am assuming I'll lose them too, but not sure. Then my fingernails are slowly turning white from the top down. I haven't lost any of them yet and they don't seem loose, but I don't know if the whiteness means that I will. What were your experiences? (I had dose-dense chemo - 4 sessions of A/C and 4 sessions of Taxol, which ended 4 weeks ago.) Thanks.

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Just me!
    For me -
    1 big toe nail got nasty/black on part of it after second A/C. I asked, Chemo Dr. told me that it wasn't Chemo that did it but rather it was a bruise I got driving my first Powder Puff Mud Bog. Finger nails have always been weak/brittle/CR&APPY all my life but they are better now than ever. I went to a "Look Good Feel Better" class and the young lady doing it gave out samples (not in the Kit you get) of OPI Nail Envy. My first thought was "OH yeah - just another scam.". But I used it and will continue to use it. I'm now 6 mths post chemo and have the best nails, I've ever had in my life. I'll never be without it again - it's not cheap, paid $16.95 for the last bottle I bought (a bottle lasts me about 4 months) - but to me, it's worth it.

Susan
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    when i was on taxotere, , ,
    i had horrible reactions to it - not the least of which was what it did to my nails. . . they started turning white like you said, looked like a bubble of air underneath them. . . thought for sure i was going to lose all my fingernails and toenails. however, i finished that course of chemo and before i started a/c, my nails began to improve, nail beds still look a little funky, but i have long strong nails. never had nails before, so this is a surprise. my nails used to split and break and i looked like i chewed my nails (although i never ever did). i wish you luck - the fact that you have finished your chemo may now turn things around!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Tee Tree Oil
    When I went for my training before my chemo, the nurse recommended Tea Tree Oil for my nails. Actually, my nails look better now than before chemo. It doesn't smell that good, but if it works, i can stand the smell.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I never lost any toe or
    I never lost any toe or finger nails. I have thick long nails...always have. Chemo however added rings to my nails. Like you would see on a tree. I am almost 3 months from last chemo and they are still growing in with rings even after i cut them way down. Cant seem to get it to stop doing it.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

I never lost any toe or
    I never lost any toe or finger nails. I have thick long nails...always have. Chemo however added rings to my nails. Like you would see on a tree. I am almost 3 months from last chemo and they are still growing in with rings even after i cut them way down. Cant seem to get it to stop doing it.

I lost 3 toe nails, and my finger nails did get
    dis-colored with heavy white rings. 2 large toes nails, along with 1 baby toe nail. Baby toe nail grew back within 5 weeks .. Big toenails took about 6.5 to 7 months ... no pedi's ..

Vicki
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    VickiSam said:

I lost 3 toe nails, and my finger nails did get
    dis-colored with heavy white rings. 2 large toes nails, along with 1 baby toe nail. Baby toe nail grew back within 5 weeks .. Big toenails took about 6.5 to 7 months ... no pedi's ..

Vicki

I lost 2 toe nails and my
    I lost 2 toe nails and my finger nails turned like black and blue and they hurt. Then it went from that to white lines and ridges. Still having problems with breakage. I also used tea tree oil and now just a nail hardner. I was through with chemo last November, but still have some of the side affects.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Kat11 said:

I lost 2 toe nails and my
    I lost 2 toe nails and my finger nails turned like black and blue and they hurt. Then it went from that to white lines and ridges. Still having problems with breakage. I also used tea tree oil and now just a nail hardner. I was through with chemo last November, but still have some of the side affects.

I was like Jo Jo witht he
    I was like Jo Jo witht he rings and my right big toenail had a dark spot and one thumbnail. never lost any though. the nail envy is a good idea, I used that. people have said its a good preventative.
  • alexlib_mom
    alexlib_mom Member Posts: 46
    white nails
    My fingernails didn't really show any effects until the very end of chemo. Then it was almost like they lifted off the nail bed near the end. I thought someone's description of bubbles was pretty accurate. None of them actually fell off, they just seemed to separate from the finger. I don't know how to describe it any better, sorry. I'm now almost 3 months after my last chemo treatment (yay!) and they are growing out. I just hope that the base nails are long and strong like all the rest of you!
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415

white nails
    My fingernails didn't really show any effects until the very end of chemo. Then it was almost like they lifted off the nail bed near the end. I thought someone's description of bubbles was pretty accurate. None of them actually fell off, they just seemed to separate from the finger. I don't know how to describe it any better, sorry. I'm now almost 3 months after my last chemo treatment (yay!) and they are growing out. I just hope that the base nails are long and strong like all the rest of you!

You're right
    It isn't a big deal in the run of things, but it is annoying and uncomfortable. I lost all my finger nails during chemo and the skin on my hands would peel totally every few weeks. Just like you, the nails would start from the top. I finished chemo 18 months ago and my nails are still not back to normal. I just look at it that it did this much damage to the cancer!!
  • Yvette39
    Yvette39 Member Posts: 17
    Dear Linpsu:
    I have had 16 rounds of chemo and had no problems with my nails. I started my 3rd round of herceptin and now I'm having all kinds of problems with breakage. I've been using a nail strengthener just to try to keep what I have. Good luck to you!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Yvette39 said:

Dear Linpsu:
    I have had 16 rounds of chemo and had no problems with my nails. I started my 3rd round of herceptin and now I'm having all kinds of problems with breakage. I've been using a nail strengthener just to try to keep what I have. Good luck to you!

I dont know the nail thing
    I dont know the nail thing seems kind of big to me. I had discolaration, but no loss and I must say I was relieved. I did use the opi nail polish and it helped. without it they just broke sometimes too low. i foound sometimes when I was dealing with larger issues the "smaller" ones just seemed like the last straw. I do know you will prevail.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Tee Tree Oil
    When I went for my training before my chemo, the nurse recommended Tea Tree Oil for my nails. Actually, my nails look better now than before chemo. It doesn't smell that good, but if it works, i can stand the smell.

Jean 0609
    I lost both one of my big toe nails and I think the one will fall off
    too, it has black and blue. My fingernails are useless... they have
    ridges and break really easily.

Do you just put the tea tree oil directly on your nails? Or maybe
    soak your hands in it?

Ayse
  • Grandma X 6
    Grandma X 6 Member Posts: 135
    Finger nails
    I also had trouble with my nails . Red marks half way down my nails than they also got white and came lose from the nail bed but did not lose them. Chemo ended 1/23/10 and they are better but not great yet. I also use Opi nail envy and take Bioiten it does help. Nail envy is pricey but if you know a hair dresser she can get it at a big discount I was a hairdresser I pay about $8.00 a bottle it last for a good while. Good Luck