side effects of dexamethasone (decadron)

Options
mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Not to scare anyone but rather to just to inform here are some of the side affects of decadron or dexamethasone, the steroid that many of us take during chemo. I was curious to know what side affects could be attributed to chemo and what could be attributed to the steroids. I had this unusual hair growth, very fine, soft, long and white on my forehead and cheeks. Could hardly be seen unless the light was shinning on it in a certain way. Funny 'cause I didn't have anything on my head or anywhere else. Don't really know where that fits in, possibly steroidal although I don't see it in the list below.

Anyway the list can also be found at

http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/TreatmentsandSideEffects/GuidetoCancerDrugs/dexamethasone

Common
increased appetite
trouble sleeping
upset stomach
excess fluid or swelling in the face, hands, or feet*
weight gain
slowed wound healing*
increased blood glucose levels*

Less common
headache
feeling dizzy
mood swings (shifts between euphoria, anxiety, depression, and others)
low blood potassium level*
muscle weakness
high blood pressure
feeling restless
skin rash
nausea/vomiting
hot flashes
menstrual changes
sweating
bone or muscle pain
increased risk of infection due to suppressed immune system*
fewer and milder symptoms of infection*
skin thinning or bruising easily (with long-term use)
cataracts (with long-term use)
glaucoma (with long-term use)
thinning of bones (osteoporosis) (with long-term use)

Rare
bleeding or ulcers in the digestive tract*
vision changes
confusion or losing touch with reality
change in heart rhythm
congestive heart failure (can cause shortness of breath or swelling in hands or feet)
acne (with long-term use)
thinning hair (with long-term use)
bone fractures (with long-term use)
allergic reaction, with symptoms like trouble breathing or swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat after injections of the drug

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Interesting
    Mariam, my oncologist has recommended Dex for me. I start chemo Aug 10. I was given a whole list of side effects for my chemo (TC) but not for the Dex. Time will tell what happens to me but I do sympathize with you. Side effects are really annoying!
    Char
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    Options
    i thought i was seeing things. . .
    but like you said, when the light is right, unusual hair growth on cheeks and chin. head is still bald.

also have a boatload of those side effects - just want this all to end!
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options

Just wanted to add that one

Just wanted to add that one think I like about the steroids is that it gives me the energy to feel functional and go work out. So I admit I am kinda of like that and am willing to deal with the side affect because so far this will only be short term.

But the hair thing kind of weirded me out. I have one of those hair removal machines that pull the hair out. I used it on my face to remove the hair on my forehead and cheeks. It didn't hurt. Of course I was the only one who ever noticed the hair.

I also have some other side effects mostly in common and less common.
  • Cancermomnd
    Cancermomnd Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Severe side effects

I finished 4 rounds of chemo for invasive dcis. To get me through from one round to another, I had fluids in addition to nausea meds and steroids. The steroid was Decadron. After getting a back to back dose, I experienced what I now know mediation induced mania. I felt like I was living the movie "groundhog day". I could predict what was going to happen. I had insomnia. So I went to the er. I explained to the doctor what I was feeling,  he put a 24-hour physiatric hold on me and I was taken to the locked psych ward. It was the scariest thing I have ever experienced. I was never told that the possible side effects of Decadron were physiological. I want people to know what can happen so cancer patients or their caregiver can look for the signs. No cancer patient should ever be commited and labeled mentally ill because of any medicine but especially Decadron. 
    I am still working through the side effects. Everyday get better but I know there are more hurdles.