Port surgery date to change

Options
cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I spoke with my oncologist today and when I told him I was scheduled to have the port placement on Friday but my 1st chemo is August 10th he told me he would have it changed to a couple of days before the chemo. He doesn't want the port sitting in my chest being unused. I'm an infection risk. So, tomorrow I should have a new date, hopefully next Friday:)
Char

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    piece of cake ;)
    Good luck with your port surgery Char. Compared to all the other stuff I've been through lately, mine was a piece of cake. Worst part about it was fasting beforehand - once we got things rolling, though, they put the happy juice in my IV, and before I knew it I was in recovery. I had topical pain the 1st day - almost burning pain at the injection site, it was still a little tender feeling yesterday but today, 2 days later, it's just a blip on the radar.
    Best of luck to you, you'll do just fine :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
    Options
    My port was put in Monday..
    Just curious what is an infection risk...
    I start chemo next Monday...Mine is sitting for 7 days..Is that unusual...
  • sohardbnme
    sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
    Options
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Good luck with your port
    Good luck with your port surgery and hopefully you have no problems with it since your an infection risk.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Good luck with your port
    Good luck with your port surgery and hopefully you have no problems with it since your an infection risk.

Port placement and infection risk .. I do hope you
    are taking time for yourself daily and getting rest. Beleive me when I say this is only the beginning .. and I am a little concern by his comment .. Infection risk .. we ARE all
    at a higher risk for infection or STAPH, due to our WBC - white blood cell counts that dipped during our chemo treatments.

Strength and Courage :D

Vicki Sam
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Just want to wish you good
    Just want to wish you good luck with your port surgery today!

Let us know how it went and how you are feeling when you can.

Sue :)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I'm a high infection risk
    because I had a bone infection following shoulder surgery 3 years ago. I had a pic line inserted in my arm and had to do home iv antibiotics for 7 weeks. My oncologist said he didn't want the port sitting in my chest without being used. He had the date changed to next Friday which is only 4 days before 1st chemo. I'm having a needle biopsy of my thyroid on Tuesday so it will be a busy week. Taking it one day at a time:-)
    Char