My brother is coming home from the hospital today

Faith11
Faith11 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi:

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the prayers. My brother had surgery on 7/22/10 and is being released today. Thankfully he's been doing well. So far, so good. He had a bit of a fever for a couple of days after surgery but Dr. said it was normal to have a slight fever following surgery. He has a big incision in his back that I've noticed has a bit of drainage but they are saying that is normal too. Did anyone else have drainage? He had all sorts of test done before being released today and all of them showed that he was doing fine. He had his "leak" test and thankfully there was no leak. He's on a liquid diet right now and seems to be doing fine with it. I would love to get more info on what sort of things he should be eating. Also, as far as sleeping goes, What has worked for everyone? Please continue to keep us in your thoughts so that he has no complications while at home. Tips and any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flor

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

follow diet sleep in upright position
    Hi Flor,
    I had the open type of surgery and was in for 2 wks. They had a nurse come and check on me for the first couple of weeks. I slept on a recliner couch with quilts etc padding it and had my j tube pump right next to me so that was easier. I did this for maybe 3-4 months till my j tube came out and also did not hardly have any reflux problems I think because I stayed elevated like that. They should give you all a diet and precautions. Any kind of fever once your brother is home should entail a call to the dr. Do the after care for the incisions as instructed. Be careful to eat small meals and keep the j tube site clean and flush often, you can also get more fluids in thru the j tube. If the drainage does not clear up or increases, I would call the dr. This is where the visiting nurse comes in handy. I am sure others will think of more suggestions but these are my basic ones. And someday your brother will feel like his old self, he just has to be patient. Good luck!!! take care, prayers for all.
    Donna70
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hello Flor
    Thanks for your

Hello Flor
    Thanks for your recent brother update! What is his name by the way? So....all of our prayers worked! Praise the Lord! Great to hear he did well with the surgery. He has to take his recovery slow, one day at a time. The drs should have sent him home with some kind of a diet plan. When he sleeps, he should be in an upright position. Get a wedge to put under his pillow, or have him sleep in a recliner. Do not expect too much too soon. He has to have patience to recover properly. I am hoping he will have a full time caregiver with him. Best of luck to both of you, and we will continue to pray!
    Tina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator