I talked to a 23 + year survivor of advanced colon cancer today

Options
AnneCan
AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

The Canadian Cancer Society has a peer support program. I put my name in last week. Today I received a call from a woman who was chosen to be my peer support. She told me she was diagnosed with colon cancer in 1986. She had surgery for this + then later liver mets. She had liver surgery twice becsuse the mets came back. She is feeling well 23+ years later. Her advice was to remember that life is worth living + to never give up. I wanted to share this story with everyone; I find it very inspirational.

Comments

8735 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you!
    23 years? What a great mentor and how nice of you to post it for all the rest of us. I'm two years into this and that sort of longevity is very reassuring!
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    This is a very good
    This is a very good story.Long time survivors are always great inspirations.Thank you very much for sharing.
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing,it's always nice to get some good news.
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    thank you
    that is truly amazing, never knew anyone in real life to survive it (3 family members it has killed) so very nice to hear.

thank you
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    wow!
    That's awesome to hear!

*hugs*
    Gail

P.S. Did she say she was treated with surgery only at first? How long was it before she had liver mets?
  • AnneCan
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

wow!
    That's awesome to hear!

*hugs*
    Gail

P.S. Did she say she was treated with surgery only at first? How long was it before she had liver mets?

Hi Gail
    She had surgery for her colon cancer first - she said the tumour was on both sides of her colon, then they found the liver met(s) + she had surgery for that, but had a recurrance in her liver + had another surgery for that. I am not sure of all the timing, except she was first diagnosed in 1986 + she said things were very tough for ~ 1 year. I am not sure what chemo she had either. I will get more details when I talk to her next time; she said she will call in about a month. Frankly, I was stunned to hear her story. I told the Canaadian Cancer Society I wanted to talk to a "survivor" - boy did they deliver! My husband also has a "peer" through the Canadian Cancer Society, + he is a 20+ year survior (stage 3). My husband has been talking to him since last fall, + has found it very helpful. His peer happens to be a retired doctor, too, so he has great perspective + always says he will research any treatments, etc. that we want him to. I really needed a story like this today.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Hi Gail
    She had surgery for her colon cancer first - she said the tumour was on both sides of her colon, then they found the liver met(s) + she had surgery for that, but had a recurrance in her liver + had another surgery for that. I am not sure of all the timing, except she was first diagnosed in 1986 + she said things were very tough for ~ 1 year. I am not sure what chemo she had either. I will get more details when I talk to her next time; she said she will call in about a month. Frankly, I was stunned to hear her story. I told the Canaadian Cancer Society I wanted to talk to a "survivor" - boy did they deliver! My husband also has a "peer" through the Canadian Cancer Society, + he is a 20+ year survior (stage 3). My husband has been talking to him since last fall, + has found it very helpful. His peer happens to be a retired doctor, too, so he has great perspective + always says he will research any treatments, etc. that we want him to. I really needed a story like this today.

Wonderful
    That's wonderful. Sounds like you both got great people to talk to.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you for sharing this news! 23 years and stage IV- wow, that's impressive and inspiring! Today, I sat next to a woman while I was getting chemo- this woman was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 10 years ago. She's never been cancer free at any point in time during these ten years, but she's still here and still has quality of life. She and her husband run an ostomy support group at one of our local hospitals (she's had a permanent colostomy the whole time). Sometimes I find the thought of having to deal with my cancer for so long tiring, but then I think hey, it's living vs. the alternative! Many people deal with all sorts of dibilitating and chronic illnesses. I can do this!

Lisa
  • AnneCan
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you for sharing this news! 23 years and stage IV- wow, that's impressive and inspiring! Today, I sat next to a woman while I was getting chemo- this woman was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer 10 years ago. She's never been cancer free at any point in time during these ten years, but she's still here and still has quality of life. She and her husband run an ostomy support group at one of our local hospitals (she's had a permanent colostomy the whole time). Sometimes I find the thought of having to deal with my cancer for so long tiring, but then I think hey, it's living vs. the alternative! Many people deal with all sorts of dibilitating and chronic illnesses. I can do this!

Lisa

Lisa
    The woman you met is inspiring too; I love hearing these stories - it gives us a lot of hope + reminds there is not just one way to "beat" this.
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing
    Really is good to hear things like this