Zometa ,one dose. Help prevent bone mets question.

Options
Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone heard this? I had a one time dose. Don't know what mg, but was in a 500ml of normal saline. Onc said it had showed some promise of prevention of bone mets down the road. Mmmmm. It must have been a lg dose. Two days later, in the middle of the night of course. Had some of the worse bone and muscle pain that I've had so far. It felt like bones and muscles were made of glass and was breaking. Even the back of my skull hurt. Ran a mild temp., 100.7.
Better with advil and just kept moving. WOW that was an experience. Anyone heard of this?
Took just a day to go back to the "normal" bone aches. lol Katz

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    yes I am suprised no one
    yes I am suprised no one mentions it. I will be gettin zometa twice a year for 3 years. a study showed it helps to decrease bone mets and other mets by 40 percent. I have heard it makes you "flu like" and my nurse told me she tells patients to take tyleno around the clock. Not looking forward to my first dose. I have heard the first dose is the worst and then doses afterwards are better. You are receiving just one?
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Zometa
    Hi Katz,
    I don't know about the single dose, but I do know that Zometa once every 4 weeks since Feb. has made my bone mets stable. I had the same type fever for the first 2 nights after my first dose, have been fever-free ever since. As far as the aches and pains in the muscles, bones, and joints - that's my everyday life now. As they say, "my new normal". So does this mean you won't be getting Zometa anymore? Good luck! MM
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options

Zometa
    Hi Katz,
    I don't know about the single dose, but I do know that Zometa once every 4 weeks since Feb. has made my bone mets stable. I had the same type fever for the first 2 nights after my first dose, have been fever-free ever since. As far as the aches and pains in the muscles, bones, and joints - that's my everyday life now. As they say, "my new normal". So does this mean you won't be getting Zometa anymore? Good luck! MM

Zometa
    I too get it once every six months. Could not be part of a clinical study because I have just finished another, but oncologist believes in it very strongly and managed to persuade insurance company to pay for it. I don't have bone aches, but I do have a headache for about 5-7 days...I'll live with that I think!!
  • Katz77
    Options
    carkris said:

yes I am suprised no one
    yes I am suprised no one mentions it. I will be gettin zometa twice a year for 3 years. a study showed it helps to decrease bone mets and other mets by 40 percent. I have heard it makes you "flu like" and my nurse told me she tells patients to take tyleno around the clock. Not looking forward to my first dose. I have heard the first dose is the worst and then doses afterwards are better. You are receiving just one?

Wow
    I never heard of it. Thats why I love my onc. Maybe we should come up with a bumper sticker. "Honk if you love your onc." He told me awhile back not to worry about my cancer. My cancer is his cancer.
    carkris I'm horrible about asking questions. I'm going to assume I'll be getting every 6 month dosing. That will be a question. So glad the symptoms lessen after first dose. I'm a pretty tough broad, but I have to say that hurt. My onc nurse said I would have some bone pain, but never said take anything. Think there will be an enlighten meeting in 2 weeks. lol
    40%, that's quite a bit. Where did you see this. I never know where to look things up. Thanks to you, Katz
  • Katz77
    Options

Zometa
    Hi Katz,

I assume I will be getting
    I assume I will be getting it every 6 months. I wrote in response to carkris my stupity about asking questions. lol How have you been Marsha. Katz
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Katz
    My dosage for Zometa is monthly for 1 year. I'm due for the second dose next week. I had no effects at all, no fever or aches. Its probably a smaller dose than you get at once. Just hope it works.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky!
    The option of taking a bisphosphonate for bone mets prevention was not available for me. After a 22 yr remission, I did have a dreaded recurrence--bone mets.

Your flu-like symptoms are normal and usually only after the first infusion (something about a transient increase in pyrogenic cytokines). Most oncologists recommend ibuprofen or tylenol. See: www.supportiveoncology.net/journal/articles/0510475.pdf (page 477)

I have been on monthly zometa for 1 yr and 3 months (who's counting), but have never had any side effects. Maybe a little tired?

Hope this helps!
  • carkris
    Options

You are so lucky!
    The option of taking a bisphosphonate for bone mets prevention was not available for me. After a 22 yr remission, I did have a dreaded recurrence--bone mets.

Your flu-like symptoms are normal and usually only after the first infusion (something about a transient increase in pyrogenic cytokines). Most oncologists recommend ibuprofen or tylenol. See: www.supportiveoncology.net/journal/articles/0510475.pdf (page 477)

I have been on monthly zometa for 1 yr and 3 months (who's counting), but have never had any side effects. Maybe a little tired?

Hope this helps!

I was told that by my onc,
    I was told that by my onc, its actually high 30's percent I rounded off. My onc is very suspicious and believes in this strongly. I am willing to do anything to fight this beast!!
    Sometimes i dont ask either dont always want to know LOL
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    Options
    carkris said:

I was told that by my onc,
    I was told that by my onc, its actually high 30's percent I rounded off. My onc is very suspicious and believes in this strongly. I am willing to do anything to fight this beast!!
    Sometimes i dont ask either dont always want to know LOL

Never heard of it
    Wow, I

Never heard of it
    Wow, I wonder why I have'nt heard of this?
    I'm willing to take my chances on whatever possible to make sure the Beast does'nt come back and 40 or 30 persent is enough for me to ask my onc on my next appointment about this Zometa.
    Thanks for the info.
    Karie
  • carkris
    Options
    weazer said:

Never heard of it
    Wow, I

Never heard of it
    Wow, I wonder why I have'nt heard of this?
    I'm willing to take my chances on whatever possible to make sure the Beast does'nt come back and 40 or 30 persent is enough for me to ask my onc on my next appointment about this Zometa.
    Thanks for the info.
    Karie

its like 36-38 percent.
    its like 36-38 percent. chemo brain makes me not remember exactly, but it was a significant percent, and not just for bone mets, it was for all other mets too.
  • Katz77
    Options
    carkris said:

its like 36-38 percent.
    its like 36-38 percent. chemo brain makes me not remember exactly, but it was a significant percent, and not just for bone mets, it was for all other mets too.

Update on Zometa
    I HAD idc stage3c. It's said that it helps with distant mets, but esp bone mets. I'm like a few others are at high risk for return, so I;ll use anything in the arsenal to combat the return of the beast. It does suck we have to use chemical warfare for this, but like the saying goes, What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
    I also have 18/20 positive lymph nodes. All scans are showing to be clear. Very happy that my onc is holding to what he said, Your cancer is my cancer and I'll take care of it. Sighh it's a good team I'm on. Thanks to everyone. You're all in my prayers and thoughts, Katz
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck Katz!

Sue :)
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Katz77 said:

Update on Zometa
    I HAD idc stage3c. It's said that it helps with distant mets, but esp bone mets. I'm like a few others are at high risk for return, so I;ll use anything in the arsenal to combat the return of the beast. It does suck we have to use chemical warfare for this, but like the saying goes, What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
    I also have 18/20 positive lymph nodes. All scans are showing to be clear. Very happy that my onc is holding to what he said, Your cancer is my cancer and I'll take care of it. Sighh it's a good team I'm on. Thanks to everyone. You're all in my prayers and thoughts, Katz

Wonderful news about your
    Wonderful news about your scans! You're in my thoughts and prayers too!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck Katz!

Sue :)

I've had 2 infusions of
    I've had 2 infusions of zometa, once every 6 months for me....no noticable side effects from it for me so far......I just hate having to go back into the chemo room to have the infusions!