And now for some good news!

Options
QuiltingMama123
QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good evening, one and all!

I got a phone call from my oncologist today. He had ordered another test on my tumor, just to verify that I was, in fact, HER2 positive. The results came back negative!! The first results were obtained from the needle biopsy and a “stain” test. The second test, a “fish” was done with a slide from the actual tumor.

Therefore,I will not need to be on a Herceptin regimen for a full year. That is INCREDIBLE news for me because my family has a history of congestive heart issues(2 grandparents and my dad died from it).

My onc is sending some more slides to Ohio State, to see EXACTLY what we are dealing with in terms of the genetics of the tumor. I may, or may not, still have to have the other six treatments of chemo. We will know in two weeks. In either case, I will still need seven weeks of daily radiation and 5 years of hormone suppression therapy.

Needless to say, I am ecstatic! I know there is still a good chance of chemo, but knowing that I will not have to take herceptin is such a relief. I know my fears were irational. the heart issues that can come with herceptin stop after the medication stops, but I had a terrible foreboding of that drug. Thank you all for your prayers, support, and good thoughts. I KNOW they led to this happy turn of events.

Comments

• Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Great news! I am so happy
    Great news! I am so happy for you! Prayers do work!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    YAY!!!!!
    Fantastic news, thanks for sharing that.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

YAY!!!!!
    Fantastic news, thanks for sharing that.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia

your fears are not
    your fears are not irrational. all of us want to do what is needed but worry about the side effects. so glad you got good news hope it continues.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    This is awesome news for
    This is awesome news for you. One thing to be less worried about!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    carkris said:

your fears are not
    your fears are not irrational. all of us want to do what is needed but worry about the side effects. so glad you got good news hope it continues.

Awesome news!

Awesome news!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Great news!
    I love reading good news!
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Overjoyed
    Is what I'd be feeling if it were me, this is fanstastic news, thanks for sharing!

(chemo isn't so bad)
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your GOOD
    Thanks for sharing your GOOD news with us!! I would be thrilled as well. Good luck to you as you continue your treatments, whatever they are. NED is the goal here and you'll be there sooner than later!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Overjoyed
    Is what I'd be feeling if it were me, this is fanstastic news, thanks for sharing!

(chemo isn't so bad)

Great news! Good luck to
    Great news! Good luck to you!

Hugs, Diane
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

This is awesome news for
    This is awesome news for you. One thing to be less worried about!

Wonderful news! Thanks for
    Wonderful news! Thanks for telling us!