Reconstruction

Options
MichelleRenee
MichelleRenee Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a double mastectomy last June and am considering reconstruction. I had thought that the saline bags were the way to go, but now am looking into the abdominal flap. Has anyone done this type of reconstruction? If so, how was the surgery, how are you coping, what was the pain level afterwards, how do they look????

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    I also
    had my double mastectomy last June and will be finally be getting my reconstruction surgery on August 12th. I am doing the gel implants. The only thing with the tram flap that i know and have heard is its a longer recovery time. I dont know much more. Just know that im praying for you.

take care
    Laura
  • 20questions
    20questions Member Posts: 24
    Options
    TRAM is not the only abdominal flap.
    The DIEP flap takes skin and tissue along with the supporting blood supply and leaves the abdominal muscles intact. The recovery time is definately longer than a implant reconstruction but should not be as long as a TRAM. A successful DIEP is a lifelong reconstruction and worth checking into. Call around to some plastic surgeons offices who do this type of reconstruction and ask if you can talk to their patients about the experience. If I knew where you were located I'd be happy to suggest a few microsurgeons to call in your area.
  • Bedee
    Bedee Member Posts: 24
    Options

The DIEP flap takes skin and tissue along with the supporting blood supply and leaves the abdominal muscles intact. The recovery time is definately longer than a implant reconstruction but should not be as long as a TRAM. A successful DIEP is a lifelong reconstruction and worth checking into. Call around to some plastic surgeons offices who do this type of reconstruction and ask if you can talk to their patients about the experience. If I knew where you were located I'd be happy to suggest a few microsurgeons to call in your area.

DIEP reconstruction
    In your response to MichelleRenee you indicated you might be able to recommend microsurgeons to call. If possible I'd love to get recs on surgeons in the pacific northwest area.

thank you!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I had the DEIP
    I had this surgery and I don't regret it at all. I mentioned in another post, I had amazing surgeons that specialize in this type of surgery.

My surgery lasted about 8 hours and I was in the hospital for about 5 days. It's a little rough the first couple of days. They had to keep the room warm for your circulation. You do have soreness obviously from taking fat & tissue from the abdominal area.

I'm a C cup and I really like the way they look. Back to pre-pregnancy shape!

I do have minimal numbness on the right breast where I had the radiation but it's no big deal (at least not for me).

Shop around, do research and decide what feels right for you.

I'm very happy that I had it. Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    lolad said:

I also
    had my double mastectomy last June and will be finally be getting my reconstruction surgery on August 12th. I am doing the gel implants. The only thing with the tram flap that i know and have heard is its a longer recovery time. I dont know much more. Just know that im praying for you.

take care
    Laura

I had a lumpectomy, but,
    I had a lumpectomy, but, thought this post might have been missed by some, so, I am bumping it up for you, so that others might respond.

Good luck!

Sue :)
  • 20questions
    20questions Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Bedee said:

DIEP reconstruction
    In your response to MichelleRenee you indicated you might be able to recommend microsurgeons to call. If possible I'd love to get recs on surgeons in the pacific northwest area.

thank you!

Microsurgeons
    Here are a few that I know of. It's important to consult with a surgeon who routinely does these types of procedures, those who don't tend to not give a clear picture of the advantages and disadvantages.

Dr. Gabriel Kind- San Francisco Center for Breast Restoration- 415-565-6884 www.drkind.com , www.sanfranciscodiep.com
    Dr. Karen Horton-San Francisco- 415-923-3067 www.womensplasticsurgery.com
    Dr. Darrell Brooks, Dr. Gregory Buncke,Dr. Harry Buncke, Dr. Rudy Buntic- The Buncke Clinic- San Francisco
    415-565-6136

Dr. Frank Isik - Ployclinic- Seattle -206-329-1777 www.drfrankisik.com
    Dr. David Mathes, Dr. Peter C. Neligan, Dr. Hakim Said - Univ of Washington- Seattle 206-598-2342
    Dr. Alfonso Oliva - Cowley Center for Plastic Surgery- Spokane - 509-838-1010 www.olivamd.com

Hope this helps you along on your journey.

Gail
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Options
    tram
    I had tram the middle of last December. It took a while to recover but I was just 90 days out of chemo when I had my sugery. I am very very happy with the results. I was a DD, now I'm a perky, pretty, B. I still have barbie boobs and am thinking about starting nipples in Sept. My plastic surgeon has told me he will do a little more work then and make them perfect. I very much like that they are my own skin and I don't have to worry about them again. God Bless!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

I didn't have this, but,
    I didn't have this, but, want to wish you good luck with your surgery.