Just had a mastsecomy 4 weeks ago, need input about chemo

Options
r2q4u
r2q4u Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So, many names and abrivations, my head is spinning, I have triple negative breast cancer, had the mastsectomy 6 weeks ago but, all the tissue died around the incisson so they had to redo the surgery, now that it's healed the course of treatment is call ACT with Avastin. Has any used these chemo drug before, what am I instore for, all the possible side effect are enough to make you run and hide, I am looking for input on your bodys reaction to these drugs and any tip that may help me.

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Glad that your surgery is
    Glad that your surgery is over now r2q4u. But, sorry they had to redo it.

I didn't take chemo, but, many of our sisters in pink here will reply back to you that have.

Sending you good luck and prayers!

Sue :)
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Been there done that
    I too am triple negative. Had a double mastectomy May 26th. Before that I went thru 4 rounds of TAC and then 4 rounds of ACT with AVastin.

Make sure you take Emend! ACT can cause terrible vomiting and the emend will stop it. It cost $100 a pill but so worth it. If your insurance won't pay for it depending upon your income the company will give it to you free.

I think one of the big things is to avoid people when you blood count is low. Keep hydrated the drugs do dehydrate you. Eat small meals. Start rinsing your mouth with bakin soda/salt soltions from the start.

You can email me at vickidhanson@hotmail.com anytime.
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    AC-T
    My wife is doing dose dense AC-T right now; four AC (three so far) followed by four Taxol every two weeks. The biggest side effect is this chemo fog she has been going into about three days after the treatment; lasting three to four days for her. She's had other things going on through the first two cycles; cough and cold, fever, shingles, abscess tooth. Not neccessarily side effects of the chemo, but side effects of her immune system being affected by the chemo. The mental part is draining on her and the whole family; it can't be helped. Losing her hair wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. Constipation, gassy feeling and a sore throat are some of her other side affects.

Most women on this site recommend water, water, water, although right now my wife is having a hard time with that.

I'm only telling you all of this because you asked. It is doable. My advice is to take it one day at a time, one round of chemo at a time, don't look for the finish line right now, just start the race and you will get to the finish line.

Bob
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

AC-T
    My wife is doing dose dense AC-T right now; four AC (three so far) followed by four Taxol every two weeks. The biggest side effect is this chemo fog she has been going into about three days after the treatment; lasting three to four days for her. She's had other things going on through the first two cycles; cough and cold, fever, shingles, abscess tooth. Not neccessarily side effects of the chemo, but side effects of her immune system being affected by the chemo. The mental part is draining on her and the whole family; it can't be helped. Losing her hair wasn't as bad as she thought it would be. Constipation, gassy feeling and a sore throat are some of her other side affects.

Most women on this site recommend water, water, water, although right now my wife is having a hard time with that.

I'm only telling you all of this because you asked. It is doable. My advice is to take it one day at a time, one round of chemo at a time, don't look for the finish line right now, just start the race and you will get to the finish line.

Bob

fluids are so important, in
    fluids are so important, in any form. popsicles, soup. I was hospitalized for dehaydration, and struggled with fluids too. but they are so key.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    CHEMO......
    sounds so scary but I promise you it is doable....as many "pink sisters" can attest to.....I had Taxotere/Cytoxan......I, too, am triple negative..lumpectomy...clean lymph nodes StageII I did NOT have Avistan though...My oncologist was VERY VERY agressive with anti nausea medications starting the day before each chemo and continuing for 5 days afterwards.....plus Decadron, a steroid which is also an anti nausea med....I was never sick, never...not even the first wave of nausea...I took the Compozine and Zofran religiously as prescribed.....it's easier to prevent nausea and vomiting than it is to control it once it starts.....I drank tons of fluids, during chemo and for days following.....I drank Gatorade, iced tea, water, what ever I wanted.AND TONS OF IT even during the infusion..I did lose my taste buds for about a week following each infusion....food didn't taste bad to me, it simply had no taste....so I just experimented, found I could taste watermelon and tomatoes......so that's what I ate...along with protein..but within a week the taste buds returned....you lose your taste as chemo attacks rapidily dividing cells, ie cancer, and your taste buds are rapidly dividing cells, along with hair follicles, thus losing your hair....eyelashes and eyebrows.......Chemo is no day at the beach but is nothing like the stories we've heard from long ago chemo....try and rest as much as possible.....and LET anyone who wants to help with meals, housework, laundry, etc. let them help........it helps them also, as people want to do for you but don't know what to do, so let any offer of help.....

I wish you peace and strength during your chemo infusions.......you can do it! We're stronger than we know.......
    Nancy
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what Nancy said!
    Won't repeat it, but my experience with chemo was similar to Nancy's.

You can get through it! You are so much stronger than you think. And if you take the meds they give you for nausea, you should handle it ok. Drink lots of fluids and rest. And LET people help you with errands, cooking, et. You just have to be kind to yourself and let your body rest:)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • JustHope
    JustHope Member Posts: 3
    Options
    MAJW said:

CHEMO......
    sounds so scary but I promise you it is doable....as many "pink sisters" can attest to.....I had Taxotere/Cytoxan......I, too, am triple negative..lumpectomy...clean lymph nodes StageII I did NOT have Avistan though...My oncologist was VERY VERY agressive with anti nausea medications starting the day before each chemo and continuing for 5 days afterwards.....plus Decadron, a steroid which is also an anti nausea med....I was never sick, never...not even the first wave of nausea...I took the Compozine and Zofran religiously as prescribed.....it's easier to prevent nausea and vomiting than it is to control it once it starts.....I drank tons of fluids, during chemo and for days following.....I drank Gatorade, iced tea, water, what ever I wanted.AND TONS OF IT even during the infusion..I did lose my taste buds for about a week following each infusion....food didn't taste bad to me, it simply had no taste....so I just experimented, found I could taste watermelon and tomatoes......so that's what I ate...along with protein..but within a week the taste buds returned....you lose your taste as chemo attacks rapidily dividing cells, ie cancer, and your taste buds are rapidly dividing cells, along with hair follicles, thus losing your hair....eyelashes and eyebrows.......Chemo is no day at the beach but is nothing like the stories we've heard from long ago chemo....try and rest as much as possible.....and LET anyone who wants to help with meals, housework, laundry, etc. let them help........it helps them also, as people want to do for you but don't know what to do, so let any offer of help.....

I wish you peace and strength during your chemo infusions.......you can do it! We're stronger than we know.......
    Nancy

me
    I think I'm more scared of chemo, than losing a breast and my hair.
  • faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
    Options
    sal314 said:

You can get through it! You are so much stronger than you think. And if you take the meds they give you for nausea, you should handle it ok. Drink lots of fluids and rest. And LET people help you with errands, cooking, et. You just have to be kind to yourself and let your body rest:)

Blessings,
    Sally

Just another triple negative
    I did six courses of TAC every 3 weeks. No oral medications aside from the anti-nausea on days 1, 3, and 4. As for the Emend, it depends on your insurance I paid less than $4 a tablet. I found I had no issue with mouth sores if I stayed away from sugary treats. Also, when I detected a sore in my mouth I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and it was gone within a few hours. Sipping on ginger ale helped with my feelings of nausea, but as my chemos progressed those feelings became lessened. I only missed 5 days from work, choosing to have my chemotherapy on Friday mornings and taking the weekend to recover.

I do not know about Avastin. I do know that the standard treatment with Tamoxifen is not available to me as a triple negative.

Ditto the advice about lots of water, and been kind to yourself...the steroids may disrupt your sleep. You need to rest and please allow others to care for you.

You are in my prayers.
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    sal314 said:

Blessings,
    Sally

Chemo is doable, but
    Chemo is doable, but something that each and every person deals with differently. I am eR+ and have had a lumpectomy, clear margins, chemo (TAC - six rounds, three weeks apart), 40 radiation treatments, and now Tamoxifen for five years. One warning I would give anyone undergoing chemo is to stay away from Reglan (an anti-nausea med). Taking Emend is the best, along with steroids the day before,day of, and two days after chemo. Unfortunately, I had break-through nausea even with all of this, and was eventually prescribed Reglan. This drug is really bad, especially on elderly females. Causes nerological disorders, and unfortunately sometimes they are non-reversable after you stop meds. Just be careful, and research anything prescribed. Drink lots of fluids, mainly water, and take care of you. Accept any offer to help, let someone else take over for a while and you just concentrate on getting through this treatment. Days do get better, and you will soon be on the other side. We are all here for you for advice, consoling, or just listening. Good luck, Hugs, Judy
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Avastin
    I would look further in to Avastin. There are a few news stories about the FDA withdrawing their approval of Avastin for breast cancer.

Bob
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Chemo is doable, but
    Chemo is doable, but something that each and every person deals with differently. I am eR+ and have had a lumpectomy, clear margins, chemo (TAC - six rounds, three weeks apart), 40 radiation treatments, and now Tamoxifen for five years. One warning I would give anyone undergoing chemo is to stay away from Reglan (an anti-nausea med). Taking Emend is the best, along with steroids the day before,day of, and two days after chemo. Unfortunately, I had break-through nausea even with all of this, and was eventually prescribed Reglan. This drug is really bad, especially on elderly females. Causes nerological disorders, and unfortunately sometimes they are non-reversable after you stop meds. Just be careful, and research anything prescribed. Drink lots of fluids, mainly water, and take care of you. Accept any offer to help, let someone else take over for a while and you just concentrate on getting through this treatment. Days do get better, and you will soon be on the other side. We are all here for you for advice, consoling, or just listening. Good luck, Hugs, Judy

It's different for each
    It's different for each woman. Take it one treatment at a time, and one day at a time.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Hubby said:

Avastin
    I would look further in to Avastin. There are a few news stories about the FDA withdrawing their approval of Avastin for breast cancer.

Bob

Sorry
    that you have to go thru that surgery twice. I developed an infection and had to have one of my expanders removed, but i couldnt imagine the tissue dying and having to go thru all that so bless you for having to do so. My chemo was A/C adriamyacin and cytoxin. First of all, they should give you nausea meds. My onc was good to me there. She gave me three different kind and Zofran was the bomb. Take the nausea meds religiously even if you dont feel sick, it will keep the nausea from getting to you. You want to make sure that you drink plenty of water after treatments as well. With me i was very tired about the third day or so and needed to sleep alot. They gave me steroids to take too, so that helped. Just make sure to stay hydrated. Rest and a must is take the nausea meds. You will be thankful for them. Keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Take care
    Laura
  • r2q4u
    Options
    MAJW said:

CHEMO......

Nancy

Chemo
    Thank you so much for all the wonderful information, with the names of the drugs that worked and didn't work, and for all the tips and good wishes.
  • r2q4u
    Options
    Hubby said:

AC-T

Bob

Thank you
    Mine too will be dose dense AC-T with Avastin. Thank you for your information it is very helpful.
  • r2q4u
    Options
    Thank you
    I am a very positive person, and I know I will get through this. Especially now with all your help, My New Pink Sisters. I will flurish. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, they really do help. I am so thrilled about this message board, as I felt so alone before, as I did not know anyone who had gone through cancer. My families history is severe heart problems and that is what I had been worried about all my life, not cancer. so, I wasn't ready for the cancer card. I know each person is different, and each drug works different for each person, but yet we are the same as we go through this process and challenge, which is very conforting to me to know I have sisters who understand my thoughts, fears and feelings. Thank you.