Exchange surgery

Options
hoop77
hoop77 Member Posts: 84
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello sisters!!!

I think I am approaching the end of my fills and was reading some posts that the new implants seem to be smaller than the expanders we all have grown to hate. My skin is stretched so tight I feel like I'm going to explode!!! I thought I was nearing the end, but after reading, I'm not sure. I don't want to be disappointed with final results. Can anyone share their experiences? My expanders are only 150 cc's because I have a very small frame. Currently I have 240 cc's in and I'm actually bigger than I was prior to mastectomy, a full B or small C. I really want to hold out for a C cup to get something out of this whole ordeal but just curious how much the expanders are typically overfilled prior to exchange surgery. My PS did say that he inserts a larger implant than the expander to fill in the little shelf, or hollow space, but I'm worried I will be left with undesirable results. Also, do they move the implants closer together to give you cleavage and get the boobs out from under your arms??? This drives me crazy! I feel guilty for asking about such trivial matters when I'ms so lucky to be alive and cancer free, but just wondered if anyone else could share their experiences.

Love,
laura

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    Laura, your questions are
    Laura, your questions are NOT trivial! I had a lumpectomy, so, I can't understand what you are going through. I can only imagine and I would feel the same way that you do.

So many have posted lately on here about their expanders and their exchange, that I know they will respond to you.

Good luck to you!

Sue :)
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    About 2 weeks ago i finally
    About 2 weeks ago i finally got rid of the expanders and got the implants. My expander was 450 cc's and my implants are 410 cc's, i have a small frame and this put me at a small C cup...so i was told but i havent got to test that yet cuz of it still being so fresh, and i just got the drain tubes out.
    The expanders are like rocks or baseballs and they just stand at attention but when they put in the implants they are not as perky they look more natural with a little perk to them. Yet the doctors need to get an extra fill in after your done so they can have enough skin to removed the old scarring to make new ones and also so your skin isnt so tight.
    So its really not that they are smaller they are just not shaped the same unless you put on a bra with a little lift to it then you may have the same effect as the expanders just much softer.
    There is a reason that the expanders are positioned this way cuz i asked my PS about it and she said the major gap between them is so you can increase your size without worring about having a uniboob...cuz if they didnt then that skin in the middle could pull up and youd have one boob across your chest. When they put the implants in they are placed alot closer together...like normal...and they are not in your pits anymore either.
    Hope this helps!
  • hoop77
    hoop77 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    jo jo said:

About 2 weeks ago i finally
    About 2 weeks ago i finally got rid of the expanders and got the implants. My expander was 450 cc's and my implants are 410 cc's, i have a small frame and this put me at a small C cup...so i was told but i havent got to test that yet cuz of it still being so fresh, and i just got the drain tubes out.
    The expanders are like rocks or baseballs and they just stand at attention but when they put in the implants they are not as perky they look more natural with a little perk to them. Yet the doctors need to get an extra fill in after your done so they can have enough skin to removed the old scarring to make new ones and also so your skin isnt so tight.
    So its really not that they are smaller they are just not shaped the same unless you put on a bra with a little lift to it then you may have the same effect as the expanders just much softer.
    There is a reason that the expanders are positioned this way cuz i asked my PS about it and she said the major gap between them is so you can increase your size without worring about having a uniboob...cuz if they didnt then that skin in the middle could pull up and youd have one boob across your chest. When they put the implants in they are placed alot closer together...like normal...and they are not in your pits anymore either.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks JoJo, that really
    Thanks JoJo, that really hellps. I love the uniboob, ha ha ha!!! It does make sense though. I just don't understand why my expander is so small, only 150 cc's. You look like a small person too and yours were a lot bigger!I'm 5'7" and weigh about 115-120, but I do have small bones. It's quite a difference from what they put in you. I do love my PS and guess I just need to put my trust in him. Glad you have finally gotten rid of the bricks in your chest, I'm envious. Hope your final results will be just what you wanted! Thanks again for your comments!
    Laura
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    Laura, I just had my
    Laura, I just had my exchange 6/29 and an right side revision 7/23. My new implants are more like the real thing, my PS gave me great cleavage and the size is perfect. Those rock hard baseball expanders were so uncomfortable, my memory gel implants are much better. The original results weren't so good but after the revision I'm much happier. I love my new breasts. Best of luck on your exchange :)
    ~Kari
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Laura, I just had my
    Laura, I just had my exchange 6/29 and an right side revision 7/23. My new implants are more like the real thing, my PS gave me great cleavage and the size is perfect. Those rock hard baseball expanders were so uncomfortable, my memory gel implants are much better. The original results weren't so good but after the revision I'm much happier. I love my new breasts. Best of luck on your exchange :)
    ~Kari

Laura .. JoJo and Kris have made many valid points -- and
    given a true and wonderful description on what will be happening to your body next, with regards to tissue expanders.

If you find yourself happy at some point in your expansion - ask PS what size cup is this and cc fluid. Let PS, his staff know that is where you wish to be after surgery - and make sure it is written down in your chart. Also, have them explain the visual difference betweeen expander and implant.

I also have gel implants - my choice.

Vicki Sam
  • SamuraiMom
    SamuraiMom Member Posts: 295
    Options
    implants
    Hi Laura,

I had my exchange in March after expanders and patience was the key for me.

Even when the silicone were in it took time for them to fill the stretched skin. (I was expecting a perfect rack right off the bat and that wasn't the case)

I felt very down for a few months especially without nipples.

I'm in the home stretch now and my nips are healing and I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Only stretch as big as you want to go would be my advice.

It takes over a year to get the final look once their in I'm told. The pectoral muscle has to stretch even more believe it or not once the implants are in...

You can see my results photos on my website if you're interested.

I'm listed under the Member Resource Directory. You'll see my photo there.

Good luck and hang in there!

xxoo,

SamuraiMom