genetic testing for breast cancer

Options
ejs51361
ejs51361 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was going to do the genetic testing for breast cancer. However, a friend of mine recently told me that she had heard if I test positive for the gene, my daughters could have a difficult time getting insurance. I live in Ohio. Does anyone know how I can check this out?

Comments

• MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Options
    BRCA testing
    I have similar concerns regarding the genetic testing. Legally, I don't think your health insurance can be affected by having cancer or testing positive on the BRCA test (although that may apply to "group insurance" and not private insurance - I'm really not sure on that). I'm pretty sure, however, that life, disability & long-term health insurance CAN be affected by a cancer dx &/or positive BRCA test - what I don't know is if that would only apply to me (the "cancer patient") or if it would ever come up as a question when my kids would be trying to get those kind of insurances.

I have contacted an attorney (who works with a group helping cancer patients) about this - she didn't have the answer for that - but was going to try to find someone who may know more about it - I have not heard back from her yet on that.

My med onc wants me to get the BRCA test, but I am leaning toward NOT doing that - and this is one of the main reasons for my decision (the other being the cost, and I don't think my health insurance would pay for it).

If you find someone with answers on this, please post them!!

Best of luck . . .

♥ Lynn ♥
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I never thought about it
    I never thought about it that way.

I did not have the test done as my Drs. said there was no reason to. I'm IBC so it is not genetic, I have no daughters, only 2 sons, no sisters and there is no history of any cancer in either side of my family for at least 4 generations.

Susan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    It would be a HIPPA
    It would be a HIPPA violation if the companies did this. Whether they do or not is another matter?

Because I was paranoid and could afford it, I paid for it myself and used a fake name. It turned out not to matter as I tested negative. My 2 sisters that had it--only one tested and she was negative too. We have a genetic component but it is as yet not identifiable.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I had the genetic
    test done and I was negative. I actually wanted to know if I was a carrier for both my daughter & my son and their children. I'm the 5th in my family to have bc on my mother's side and I had 2 paternal aunts with bc too. The test does cost $3000+ but my insurance paid for it. And although I tested negative for BRCA I & II the report said I may have a marker for genes they haven't discovered yet.
    Char