chances

ckmcclelland
ckmcclelland Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will ask my oncologist this question but I had DCIS. Tried tamoxifen but it caused the rare side effect of depression. Depression got pretty bad. Now I'm on Arimedex and have lots of joint pain. I think I read somewhere that my chance of breast cancer reoccurance is 4% and with Arimedex it's cut to 2%. Am I wrong? I'm questioning the pain I am suffering for 5 years (and the expense of Arimedex though I can afford it fortunately.)

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Depends on your individual situation
    I haven't had the problems you've had on Tamoxifen, and I'm not yet a candidate for Arimidex, but it's my understanding that recurrence stats depend on your individual situation.

My oncologist had a computer program that took into account my age and the specifics of my diagnosis, then spit out percentages for taking hormone therapy vs. not taking it -- you might ask your doctor is he/she has something similar?

Traci
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    TraciInLA said:

Depends on your individual situation
    I haven't had the problems you've had on Tamoxifen, and I'm not yet a candidate for Arimidex, but it's my understanding that recurrence stats depend on your individual situation.

My oncologist had a computer program that took into account my age and the specifics of my diagnosis, then spit out percentages for taking hormone therapy vs. not taking it -- you might ask your doctor is he/she has something similar?

Traci

Hi
    As far as I know depression is one of the common side effects of Tamoxifen. Usually doc prescribes Effexor which is compatible with Tamoxifen Arimidex also has its side effects. Nobody can advice to you weather or not to take estrogen blocker. Talk to your oncologist about benefits and limitations of various treatments. I took Tamoxifen for 16 months and now on Arimidex (3weeks). Sorry, it is a personal decision,
    Good luck
  • ckmcclelland

Hi
    As far as I know depression is one of the common side effects of Tamoxifen. Usually doc prescribes Effexor which is compatible with Tamoxifen Arimidex also has its side effects. Nobody can advice to you weather or not to take estrogen blocker. Talk to your oncologist about benefits and limitations of various treatments. I took Tamoxifen for 16 months and now on Arimidex (3weeks). Sorry, it is a personal decision,
    Good luck

on Arimedex
    I'm on Effexor and have been for awhile. It does help the depression and with hot flashes. Tamoxifen caused my second bout of depression. The first one was when my oncologist took me off Zoloft (and prescribed nothing to replace it) because it would interfere with tamoxifen.

I'm already on Arimedex and all my joints hurt, especially my knees. I'm not surprised because I have arthritis and my joints ached before Arimedex but now they are worse. I can tolerate it for awhile. I find for me that 5 years is a long time to consider and if I break it down into smaller increments, it seems more like I can do it.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

on Arimedex
    I'm on Effexor and have been for awhile. It does help the depression and with hot flashes. Tamoxifen caused my second bout of depression. The first one was when my oncologist took me off Zoloft (and prescribed nothing to replace it) because it would interfere with tamoxifen.

I'm already on Arimedex and all my joints hurt, especially my knees. I'm not surprised because I have arthritis and my joints ached before Arimedex but now they are worse. I can tolerate it for awhile. I find for me that 5 years is a long time to consider and if I break it down into smaller increments, it seems more like I can do it.

Check you vitamin d level
    Many of us on aromatase inhibitors (femara, aromasin, arimdiex) have low vit d levels. Not sure why. Low viatmin d level can cause aches and pains. My level was 25. My endocrinologist upped my vit d to 5000IU per day and my level has come up to 55.

Best of all, the achiness is significantly better!

Here is a link for you:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20091215.jsp
  • ckmcclelland

Check you vitamin d level
    Many of us on aromatase inhibitors (femara, aromasin, arimdiex) have low vit d levels. Not sure why. Low viatmin d level can cause aches and pains. My level was 25. My endocrinologist upped my vit d to 5000IU per day and my level has come up to 55.

Best of all, the achiness is significantly better!

Here is a link for you:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20091215.jsp

vitamin D
    Thanks for reminding me about my Vitamin D level. I knew about it but forgot--I'll blame it on the fuzzy thinking that Arimedex can cause. I called the nurse line at my oncologist's office (that's what you do with this office) and he ordered a Vit D test which is supposed to be back by now.

Then I see him in two weeks to see if it's the Arimedex causing my joint pain because he told me to stop Arimedex to see if it's really the cause. I'm fairly sure it is and my legs (varicose veins--I know that's not joint pain but they hurt more than usual on Arimedex) were better this morning when I woke up. Also, the extra joint pain started when I started Arimedex. I assume he'll give me the Vitamin D results at that time. Don't know why I have to wait so long for results but waiting seems to be part of the cancer game. I know it's not a game but doctors don't seem to realize the extra stress that waiting causes but maybe it's all beyond their control.

So again, thanks for reminding me. I thought I could tolerate the extra pain but if the Vitamin D is a factor, that would be a big help. I'm eager to find the hormone therapy that's right for me and move on. Eager to find the new "me" and I'm not there yet.