another Wal Mart story

Boppy_of_6
Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I loved Rene's WalMart story so thought I would add mine. I was in WM on Thursday. Like Rene and others have said people will usually just kinda look my way and smile or nod. I do not have a port but wear a bandana nearly all the time so you can tell theres no hair. This lady approached me and ask me if I was in treatment. I told her I had finished chemo 3 wks. ago and would start rads soon. She told me about a dear friend of hers that is a 3yr. survivor. She ask for my first name so she could be praying for me. She said she knew it had to be hard but that I could do it. It was sweet of her to ask and be so supportive. Just thought I would share. God Bless
(((Hugs))) Janice

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    mine is a kohl's story
    i was in kohl's looking for a black straw hat to wear to church. i was on my way home from work, so i was wearing my wig. when i went to try on the hat, i took the wig off. i noticed a lady watching me and smiled at her. she came over and asked "breast cancer?" i said yes, and she smiled and said you can do this, i am an 8 year survivor. she gave me a quick hug and went on her way. i smiled all the way home (and plan to wear my black straw hat to church tomorrow)!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    heidijez said:

mine is a kohl's story
    i was in kohl's looking for a black straw hat to wear to church. i was on my way home from work, so i was wearing my wig. when i went to try on the hat, i took the wig off. i noticed a lady watching me and smiled at her. she came over and asked "breast cancer?" i said yes, and she smiled and said you can do this, i am an 8 year survivor. she gave me a quick hug and went on her way. i smiled all the way home (and plan to wear my black straw hat to church tomorrow)!

What a wonderful Walmart
    What a wonderful Walmart story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

And, a great Kohl's story.

These posts are so uplifting!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Alexis F said:

What a wonderful Walmart
    What a wonderful Walmart story! Thank you for sharing it with us!

And, a great Kohl's story.

These posts are so uplifting!

These stories are great! For
    These stories are great! For years I have had the habit of hugging or saying something to women who obviously seem to be "one of us." Oftentimes, I smile and say that "I had that exact same hairstyle a few years ago!" It always seems to break the ice. Well, maybe not always.

The only time it didn't was once, when Reggie and I were at the pound looking for a new dog, I saw a woman who looked to me like one of our Kindred Spirits. When I asked her what Ca she was battling, I don't remember exactly what she said to me, but she wasn't a warrior at all! Well, not cancer-warrior, anyway! LOL She was...how do I say this? A militant, in your face, uber feminist making her own fashion statement! Reggie, of course, just rolled his eyes at me....LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    chenheart said:

These stories are great! For
    These stories are great! For years I have had the habit of hugging or saying something to women who obviously seem to be "one of us." Oftentimes, I smile and say that "I had that exact same hairstyle a few years ago!" It always seems to break the ice. Well, maybe not always.

The only time it didn't was once, when Reggie and I were at the pound looking for a new dog, I saw a woman who looked to me like one of our Kindred Spirits. When I asked her what Ca she was battling, I don't remember exactly what she said to me, but she wasn't a warrior at all! Well, not cancer-warrior, anyway! LOL She was...how do I say this? A militant, in your face, uber feminist making her own fashion statement! Reggie, of course, just rolled his eyes at me....LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

I love these stories!
    These are truly great stories! It's like we have secret angels around us and I love the encouraging words and hugs. Thanks for sharing!

rene9