new tumor

Options
Cheryl Z
Cheryl Z Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband who battled colon cancer last year has now been diagnosed with lung cancer. It is a new primary cancer and not metasticized from colon. In about 2 weeks he will have a complete right upper lobectomy. Has anyone had this surgery and can you tell us what to expect as far as the surgery, recovery time, and treatment after surgery. He has been through so much already this past year but he is ready to fight again. He also just got over shingles. If he didn't have bad luck he would have no luck.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and answering it.
Cheryl

Comments

• impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear. I have had
    So sorry to hear. I have had two lung surgeries at Stanford. The fiorst was for two colon cancer mets and they did a lobectomy (lower right). I was in the hospital for 4 nights and I actually found this one eaiser to recover from than the liver or colon surgeries. You had to get up and walk which was tough and the breathing exercise hurt. You definately do not want to sneeze... There will be adrin in and you get some nasty lookingtubes coming out but hey clear up. I was skiing in 5 months. 1year later I had a wedge resection of my left lobe for another met. This was not as invasive and I came back very fast from this. I was working (teaching in two weeks. But everyones experience is different. Some people really struggled and others bounced back fast. For me, I hated the pain meds afterwards ( gave me constipation) and only took tylenol. I still ski and surf but do notice my breathing is more labored. Oh well, just a better reason to slow down at 51.
    Good luck
    Chip
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Cheryl,

I'm so sorry that y'all have to deal with a new cancer. I do hope he will not have too bad a time with this one.

I'll certainly keep y'all in my prayers!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Thats my line
    LOL I say that all the time, if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! I had a lung met in 2008, it was about 3 cm right lung middle lobe, had the wedge surgery, they went in from my back, took out a part of one of my ribs, guess I didnt need it, woke up with 2 drain tubes under my right breast, I didnt see them, didnt want to, they did have me getting up pretty soon to walk, I was in the hospital for 6 days, would have been shorter but one of my lungs slightly collapsed, it corrected its self, and they just kept me one more day for observation. I had a very hard time laying down so for about 3=5 days I slept down stairs on my couch in the sitting position. If i layed down i couldnt get myself back up. But in time it got better, and so will your husband.

What stage of colon cancer is your husband? Is he NED from the colon cancer? I know that question doesnt make much sense huh? I mean was the colon cancer in remission? How old is he? Sorry for all the questions just curious.

Sure hope he gets better soon and I will be praying for a fast and successful surgery and treatment!

God Bless
    Beth
  • Cheryl Z
    Options
    dorookie said:

Thats my line
    LOL I say that all the time, if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! I had a lung met in 2008, it was about 3 cm right lung middle lobe, had the wedge surgery, they went in from my back, took out a part of one of my ribs, guess I didnt need it, woke up with 2 drain tubes under my right breast, I didnt see them, didnt want to, they did have me getting up pretty soon to walk, I was in the hospital for 6 days, would have been shorter but one of my lungs slightly collapsed, it corrected its self, and they just kept me one more day for observation. I had a very hard time laying down so for about 3=5 days I slept down stairs on my couch in the sitting position. If i layed down i couldnt get myself back up. But in time it got better, and so will your husband.

What stage of colon cancer is your husband? Is he NED from the colon cancer? I know that question doesnt make much sense huh? I mean was the colon cancer in remission? How old is he? Sorry for all the questions just curious.

Sure hope he gets better soon and I will be praying for a fast and successful surgery and treatment!

God Bless
    Beth

Thanks everyone.
    Beth, he

Thanks everyone.
    Beth, he was diagnosed last March stage 3 colon cancer. He had the surgery, chemo and radiation. He finished those treatments in November. Went for cat scan in December and it showed a spot on his lung. We had no other scan to compare it too so we took a wait and see attitude. On March scan the spot was only slightly bigger so we decided to wait another 3 months. He had pet scan but it did not light up. When tested in June it was decided he should at least have a biopsy which was done last week. The tumor was so deep in the lung that it was hard to find. So before surgery they took him for cat scan and put a marker in. Results came back positive for lung cancer. He will be 67 tomorrow. Surgery is scheduled for week of August 10th. He beat it once, hopefully he will do it again.
    Cheryl
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Cheryl Z said:

Thanks everyone.
    Beth, he

Thanks everyone.
    Beth, he was diagnosed last March stage 3 colon cancer. He had the surgery, chemo and radiation. He finished those treatments in November. Went for cat scan in December and it showed a spot on his lung. We had no other scan to compare it too so we took a wait and see attitude. On March scan the spot was only slightly bigger so we decided to wait another 3 months. He had pet scan but it did not light up. When tested in June it was decided he should at least have a biopsy which was done last week. The tumor was so deep in the lung that it was hard to find. So before surgery they took him for cat scan and put a marker in. Results came back positive for lung cancer. He will be 67 tomorrow. Surgery is scheduled for week of August 10th. He beat it once, hopefully he will do it again.
    Cheryl

My money is on him
    Please tell him I said happy birthday! Good luck with the surgery, please know we will be praying for him. It sounds alot like my story, I was first DX stage 3, had surgery, radiation, chemo, lung met 6 months after treatment, did biopsy, it was colon cancer, did surgery, more checmo, no radiation the second time, and here I am almost 2 yrs out....Best to you and your husband..

God Bless you and your husband

HUGS
    Beth
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Cheryl,
    I haven't had this

Cheryl,

I haven't had this surgery but just wanted to say I am sorry your husband is going through this; gald he is ready to fight again. My thoughts are with both of you.
  • Cheryl Z
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Cheryl,
    I haven't had this

Cheryl,

I haven't had this surgery but just wanted to say I am sorry your husband is going through this; gald he is ready to fight again. My thoughts are with both of you.

Thank you for the well
    Thank you for the well wishes. We are shooting for August 10th for the surgery.
    Cheryl