CSN Family Reunion - So Cal edition - Everyone is welcome!

Comments

• jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    VickiSam said:

Jo Jo .. what part of California ... Will you and your
    family be traving thru ? .. I'm game to meet .. and I am willing to travel 2 hours ish to meet, you.

Vicki Sam

Vickisam where in Cal are
    Vickisam where in Cal are you...if you want just send me a private message.
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    I'm going to pencil it in,
    I'm going to pencil it in, in case my plans change (already have an event booked on 8/28 & 8/29). This sounds like such a great idea and thanks for getting this started. It would be such a pleasure to meet at least one person on this board...talk and have a good time. Like Tracy, I hate driving in traffic and I'll be coming in from the LA area, but will make the trip if I can :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Bummer! I live in northern
    Bummer! I live in northern California (near SF) but am having my last chemo on 8/28. My daughter would have loved to take a drive to So. Cal., it is her dream and I would love to have gotten the chance to meet some of you great women.

Perhaps next time.

Disneyland
    My office is across Disneyland. If you visit with family you can have lunch with me.
    New Flower
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    great idea!
    I am only about an hour from Long Beach and will be glad to make the trip. Sounds like fun. Yes So Cal freeways are horrible, but it would be worth it.
    I don't check in here as much, but will keep track of dates!
    See you all there!
    =^..^=
  • cats_toy said:

great idea!
    I am only about an hour from Long Beach and will be glad to make the trip. Sounds like fun. Yes So Cal freeways are horrible, but it would be worth it.
    I don't check in here as much, but will keep track of dates!
    See you all there!
    =^..^=

So...
    Is there a set date, location, and time for this shindig?

Food?

Should we all wear pink camo t-shirts to express our warrior status? Pink carnations?

I'd hate like hell to show up at a bar mitzvah and start talking about my port, but at a bris I just might be able to empathize.

Your projected date is a month away...details, ladies, details.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    The devil's in the details!
    OK, so I've been trying to gather some additional information to get some concrete plans in the works, but I'm not sure which options would be most appealing to the rest of you, so let me throw out some options for a vote, and then I can get more details together based on what comes out of that:

Option #1 - El Dorado Park. Entrance fee is $7 per car, and it's a huge park with a couple of lakes, so I'm sure we could find something to do, but if we go this way I'd like to go there this weekend and scope out a meeting place. I've only been to the park a couple of times before and don't see any information on their website about reserving picnic tables, so I'm thinking it's just first come-first served, but I can drive down and check it out if this sounds good. I'm thinking we would make this a picnic with everyone bringing something to munch on.

Option #2 - Beach/Rainbow Harbor. There will probably be a fee for parking, and I can drive down and get more details about where specifically we could meet. We could do a picnic option with this, or find a restaurant or coffee shop near the beach to meet if we don't want to be bothered by bringing our own food. (I guess Option 2-A would be Beach-Picnic, and Option 2-B would be Beach-Restaurant).

Option #3 - Aquarium. This is a beautiful aquarium. The admission is $24.95, but if we have 10 or more, we can buy in advance for $18.95. They have a restaurant inside, or there are several restaurants within walking distance to eat.

As far as the date goes, I'm thinking that Saturday, the 28th would probably be the best since most of you seem to be free that weekend, and I'm thinking we would plan to meet around noon to give those traveling enough time to arrive, and enough time to visit and still be home in their own beds.

So ladies, what's your vote?
  • The devil's in the details!
    OK, so I've been trying to gather some additional information to get some concrete plans in the works, but I'm not sure which options would be most appealing to the rest of you, so let me throw out some options for a vote, and then I can get more details together based on what comes out of that:

Option #1 - El Dorado Park. Entrance fee is $7 per car, and it's a huge park with a couple of lakes, so I'm sure we could find something to do, but if we go this way I'd like to go there this weekend and scope out a meeting place. I've only been to the park a couple of times before and don't see any information on their website about reserving picnic tables, so I'm thinking it's just first come-first served, but I can drive down and check it out if this sounds good. I'm thinking we would make this a picnic with everyone bringing something to munch on.

Option #2 - Beach/Rainbow Harbor. There will probably be a fee for parking, and I can drive down and get more details about where specifically we could meet. We could do a picnic option with this, or find a restaurant or coffee shop near the beach to meet if we don't want to be bothered by bringing our own food. (I guess Option 2-A would be Beach-Picnic, and Option 2-B would be Beach-Restaurant).

Option #3 - Aquarium. This is a beautiful aquarium. The admission is $24.95, but if we have 10 or more, we can buy in advance for $18.95. They have a restaurant inside, or there are several restaurants within walking distance to eat.

As far as the date goes, I'm thinking that Saturday, the 28th would probably be the best since most of you seem to be free that weekend, and I'm thinking we would plan to meet around noon to give those traveling enough time to arrive, and enough time to visit and still be home in their own beds.

So ladies, what's your vote?

Super Secret Ballot
    Option 2-B

I'm all about indoor plumbing these days.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

So...
    Is there a set date, location, and time for this shindig?

Food?

Should we all wear pink camo t-shirts to express our warrior status? Pink carnations?

I'd hate like hell to show up at a bar mitzvah and start talking about my port, but at a bris I just might be able to empathize.

Your projected date is a month away...details, ladies, details.

Let's wear regular clothes
    it will give everyone personality and freedom of expression.
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    chenheart said:

You do?? I lived in LB for
    You do?? I lived in LB for 27 years ( my ex still does) I lived on the "West Side, Wrigley District" for 18 years, when it was still lovely and full of old, character-filled homes. My husband worked at LB Memorial Hospital for ages and ages.
    We moved after the riots...my ex still lives on Studebaker near Atherton. I used to walk my daughter to El Dorado park for gymnastics and I did aerobic classes there as well.

Small world , indeed!
    Claudia

LB
    Claudia,

Wow. I know everywhere you mentioned. :) I work in the Wrigley area (near the old DMV)... No one remembers since the riots... We are aging ourselves. :) and I live near El Dorado Park.

LB Memorial... my life saving hospital...

How long ago did you live there? They have really improved it over the past few years....

Merry (Sally5)
  • Sally5

Super Secret Ballot
    Option 2-B

I'm all about indoor plumbing these days.

So Ca group....
    Cindy... Thanks for your efforts. Great ideas. I am close if you need help scouting out some areas.

Jojo: Your trip sounds great.... I've always wanted to drive the coast.
    Jojo and Vicki Sam: We should have a Sept. meeting... So Ca Part 2

Take care,

Merry (Sally5)
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Sally5 said:

So Ca group....
    Cindy... Thanks for your efforts. Great ideas. I am close if you need help scouting out some areas.

Jojo: Your trip sounds great.... I've always wanted to drive the coast.
    Jojo and Vicki Sam: We should have a Sept. meeting... So Ca Part 2

Take care,

Merry (Sally5)

Sally...I dont see why we
    Sally...I dont see why we couldnt have maybe a mini reunion in So Cal...for those that cant go to the first one or even if someone wanted to come to both.
    Cindy is going through so much effort for everyone and im greatful even though i cant attend that one but i wish i could cuz it sounds like a great time.
  • Sally5
    jo jo said:

Sally...I dont see why we
    Sally...I dont see why we couldnt have maybe a mini reunion in So Cal...for those that cant go to the first one or even if someone wanted to come to both.
    Cindy is going through so much effort for everyone and im greatful even though i cant attend that one but i wish i could cuz it sounds like a great time.

So CA group....
    Jojo, I agree. * mini reunion works too...

You live far away. What a perfect opportunity to make a little detour and meet.

You (and the whole SITE) have given me back my sanity. It would be great to meet.

I am jealous of your new implants... I'll be there soon.
    Bet you DON'T miss your expanders. :)

Take care
    Merry (Sally5)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Sally5 said:

So CA group....
    Jojo, I agree. * mini reunion works too...

You live far away. What a perfect opportunity to make a little detour and meet.

You (and the whole SITE) have given me back my sanity. It would be great to meet.

I am jealous of your new implants... I'll be there soon.
    Bet you DON'T miss your expanders. :)

Take care
    Merry (Sally5)

Voting with the Indoor Plumbing Caucus
    I'm fine with any of the options that include indoor plumbing.

I'm also not real big on outdoor eating (okay, I'm not big on the outdoors in general), but I understand that it's much less expensive for everyone than a restaurant, so will go along with everyone else, whichever way you decide on where to eat.

Traci
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Voting with the Indoor Plumbing Caucus
    I'm fine with any of the options that include indoor plumbing.

I'm also not real big on outdoor eating (okay, I'm not big on the outdoors in general), but I understand that it's much less expensive for everyone than a restaurant, so will go along with everyone else, whichever way you decide on where to eat.

Traci

RSVP
    First, thank you, Cindy for putting this together. It's appreciated and will be really fun and a grand special day.

I'd vote for 2B or 3 -- since I'm coming from San Diego, it's a lot easier not to have to worry about lugging around food, plus indoors takes aways any element of surprise about weather. It's actually been chilly here in Encinitas the past month.

And I hope the date remains solid. As always happens when I commit to a date certain, all of a sudden everything else wants to happen on that same date, but I'm clinging to the 28th to be with all of you.

Can't wait. It's going to be wonderful.

so,
    Victoria
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    aisling8 said:

RSVP
    First, thank you, Cindy for putting this together. It's appreciated and will be really fun and a grand special day.

I'd vote for 2B or 3 -- since I'm coming from San Diego, it's a lot easier not to have to worry about lugging around food, plus indoors takes aways any element of surprise about weather. It's actually been chilly here in Encinitas the past month.

And I hope the date remains solid. As always happens when I commit to a date certain, all of a sudden everything else wants to happen on that same date, but I'm clinging to the 28th to be with all of you.

Can't wait. It's going to be wonderful.

so,
    Victoria

I was so preoccupied with indoor plumbing...
    ...that I forgot to say THANK YOU, CINDY for all your thought and care and planning and all the work you've put into this already to make this thing happen. I know we're going to have so much fun meeting each other, and I'm getting excited!

Traci
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Maybe I should confess this on the "Wimpy Club" thread...
    I think this sounds like a marvelous idea, I really appreciate your taking the lead on this Cindy, late August works great for me, and I really want to be there with all of you.

But I guess here's as good a place as any to come clean on something that's probably going to sound crazy coming from someone in Southern California...

...driving really, really stresses me out. It always has, but the stress of diagnosis and treatment has probably even made it worse.

I have a lovely car -- I bought it new 6 years ago, and it still has only 9000 miles on it. I toodle around my neighborhood to run errands, shopping, church, etc., but any more than a few miles, and I just can't do it.

I talked with my girlfriend about our proposed "Family Reunion," and she's happy to drive...so, as long as y'all don't mind a guest, I'm in.

Traci

Traci,
    Just a comment on the driving thing: I'm with you. I used to drive all the time when I lived in Michigan, but moving to DC put a stop to that. I also tool around in my neighborhood, but driving in the city: forget about it. I was thinking of actually taking driving classes to try to gain some of my confidence back...

Mimi

PS. Have a great time, So Cal women! I'll actually be on the west coast that weekend, but up in Portland, OR. Guess that's way too far, though.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Sally5 said:

LB
    Claudia,

Wow. I know everywhere you mentioned. :) I work in the Wrigley area (near the old DMV)... No one remembers since the riots... We are aging ourselves. :) and I live near El Dorado Park.

LB Memorial... my life saving hospital...

How long ago did you live there? They have really improved it over the past few years....

Merry (Sally5)

I do remember the old DMV~ I
    I do remember the old DMV~ I lived on Chestnut and 21st! I left LB in 2001; but of course have seen it since then~ I am in Santa Barbara county now, but do go into So Cal now and again!

Speaking of El Dorado Park~ is the golf course still there? If so, there is a restaurant right there, and of course indoor plumbing and the park~ we could eat, drink and be merry, walk around the park, feed the ducks laugh, laugh and laugh! Something to think about!

Chen♥
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    chenheart said:

I do remember the old DMV~ I
    I do remember the old DMV~ I lived on Chestnut and 21st! I left LB in 2001; but of course have seen it since then~ I am in Santa Barbara county now, but do go into So Cal now and again!

Speaking of El Dorado Park~ is the golf course still there? If so, there is a restaurant right there, and of course indoor plumbing and the park~ we could eat, drink and be merry, walk around the park, feed the ducks laugh, laugh and laugh! Something to think about!

Chen♥

I also lived in Wrigley
    On 21st Street, close to Golden, so we would have been neighbors if we'd lived there at the same time!

Yes, the golf course it still there. I will try to find out about the restaurant there. I've never been.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

I also lived in Wrigley
    On 21st Street, close to Golden, so we would have been neighbors if we'd lived there at the same time!

Yes, the golf course it still there. I will try to find out about the restaurant there. I've never been.

I lived on Chestnut and 21st
    I lived on Chestnut and 21st from 1973-1992...were we neighbors???
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    TraciInLA said:

I was so preoccupied with indoor plumbing...
    ...that I forgot to say THANK YOU, CINDY for all your thought and care and planning and all the work you've put into this already to make this thing happen. I know we're going to have so much fun meeting each other, and I'm getting excited!

Traci

oh my super secret vote is .. 2b or 3 .. I enjoy the
    outdoors .. late August - hot and humid makes me cranky and sweaty. I am all for someone else waiting on me, as I have been house bound since April 18th ish. My only adventures outside my home for a very long time has been pre-op visits, apptmt's with Onc or PS and chemo treatments. Yes, I vote indoors - just me.

Cindy - I would like to give you a 'BIG' shout out and say THANK YOU for organizating this wonderful -- Union for us!

Vicki Sam