Radiation appointment

tally
tally Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I see the radiation doctor tomorrow for the first time. I finished chemo last Thursday. I really don't know what to expect tomorrow but I know I won't be starting radiation for about a month. I am just tired of doctors and appointments and getting poked and prodded. I went for my bloodwork this morning and my blood cells are to low so I'm on antibiotics for the next 7 days. I got the Neulasta shot the day after each chemo treatment but my doctor said My body has a delayed reaction to the shot. My blood cells are always low 8 days after chemo but they come up some by day 11. I'm just ready to get finished with all this. After radiation I have to have another surgery to remove my ovaries. This really is a roller coaster ride. People that have not walked in our shoes have no idea what we are going through. Sorry to rattle on but thanks for letting me.

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Good luck at your rads
    Good luck at your rads appmt. I found rads very doable & it was over before I knew it!
    Just like my sisters in pink on this board said--once you start, it goes fast. Just take it a day at a time. Hugs...
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    I'm glad you posted - and
    I'm glad you posted - and don't be sorry! You're right - those who have not been here don't know what we're going through. I've been on the "other side of the fence" before, and, no matter how much you care about someone and empathize with them, you really have no idea of exactly what that person is going through - not because you don't care, just because it's so unreal that it would be impossible to grasp the feelings without being the one it's happening to. My sister had breast cancer years ago, and only now, as I go through this, I'm starting to understand what it must have been like for her - and that was my own sister!!

I didn't have chemo, but I did have 27 radiation treatments. I did ok with the treatments - burned some, used prescription pain meds some, but healed quite fast once they were done. I hope that things go well for you.

You say that you are having surgery to remove your ovaries - I asked my onc about that for me, and now I have an appt set up with an ob/gyn in September to discuss that. With my family history of bc (also have an uncle dx with bc) - she thought that might be a good idea. What prompted your onc to have you go through that surgery? Are you seeing a gynecologic oncologist for that?

Sending thoughts & prayers your way . . . hope all goes well for you!

♥ Lynn ♥
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Tally, thanks for this post.
    Tally, thanks for this post. I trying to set-up on appointment with a radiologist now and don't know much about what to expect. Please keep me posted on what happens next.

BTW, does anyone now why my post shows an edit button at this bottom?
  • MNLynn
    sparkle1 said:

Tally, thanks for this post. I trying to set-up on appointment with a radiologist now and don't know much about what to expect. Please keep me posted on what happens next.

edit button
    I think that shows on your own posts - same for everyone else on their posts - so that you can go back in to make changes (which I've done to clarify something I've already posted - or to correct spelling!!)
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    MNLynn said:

edit button
    I think that shows on your own posts - same for everyone else on their posts - so that you can go back in to make changes (which I've done to clarify something I've already posted - or to correct spelling!!)

Thanks for starting this post...
    First I want to wish you well as you begin all your radiation treatments. And now I want to ask you or anyone here how do these radiation doctors determine the number of treatments we need, I see some people say they had 33 some say 28? Do any of you know? If I do the lumpectomy I want as few as possible.
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136

First I want to wish you well as you begin all your radiation treatments. And now I want to ask you or anyone here how do these radiation doctors determine the number of treatments we need, I see some people say they had 33 some say 28? Do any of you know? If I do the lumpectomy I want as few as possible.

My Rads Dr
    She told me that I after they do the CAT scan and determine where to do the treatments. They decide on the total amount of radiation and then divide it by 180. That is the amount of rads my dr wants me to have everyday. That then determines the number of times you go in for rads. I had 12 lymph nodes involved too, they have to do that area and 2 other lymph nodes areas that are around the breast also. I had a mastectomy and I am at stage 3 so I believe that was part of the decision. I had mulitple tumors too. Hope this helps! Good Luck....Marianne
  • tally
    MNLynn said:

I'm glad you posted - and
    I'm glad you posted - and don't be sorry! You're right - those who have not been here don't know what we're going through. I've been on the "other side of the fence" before, and, no matter how much you care about someone and empathize with them, you really have no idea of exactly what that person is going through - not because you don't care, just because it's so unreal that it would be impossible to grasp the feelings without being the one it's happening to. My sister had breast cancer years ago, and only now, as I go through this, I'm starting to understand what it must have been like for her - and that was my own sister!!

I didn't have chemo, but I did have 27 radiation treatments. I did ok with the treatments - burned some, used prescription pain meds some, but healed quite fast once they were done. I hope that things go well for you.

You say that you are having surgery to remove your ovaries - I asked my onc about that for me, and now I have an appt set up with an ob/gyn in September to discuss that. With my family history of bc (also have an uncle dx with bc) - she thought that might be a good idea. What prompted your onc to have you go through that surgery? Are you seeing a gynecologic oncologist for that?

Sending thoughts & prayers your way . . . hope all goes well for you!

♥ Lynn ♥

Radiation appt
    My appt with the radiologist went very well. He was extremely nice and calming. He explained everything as did the nurse and they gave me a lotion to put on my skin twice a day. I have my CT Scan Tuesday and they will do the markings for my treatment. He was just very reassuring. Lynn, you asked about the ovary removal. My oncologist suggested it because I am 44 and my cancer is estrogen positive. I have not menopaused yet and so my ovaries are still producing estrogen. He said that since I have not menopaused I would take Tamoxifen but without my ovaries, I would menopause and I could take Arimadex and my chances would be higher that the cancer would not come back. As soon as I finish rad I'm having the surgery. My oncologist is not gynelogical but the surgeon who did my lumpectomy had also mentioned to me the possibility of ovary removal. I have a very bad family history of breast cancer- mother, grandmother and 2 great grandmothers. I kind of always thought that I would get it someday. Didn't think it would be until I was older. I am stage II with micro-metastasis in my sentinil node.
  • tally
    sparkle1 said:

Radiation appt
    My oncologist set up my appt for me and I'm glad because I didn't know where to begin. I just wanted someone good. The doctor told me what to expect with my skin, the dryness and the redness. He told me to wear loose shirts and not get the area exposed to the sun. He gave me a lotion to use twice a day and told me what king of soap and deoderant to use. He said I would see him once a week to go over any questions I had and to check my skin. Tuesday I will have a CT Scan and they will do the markings for my treatment. Then I will go for a sort of test run to make sure the markings line up just right with the machine. It sounds alot easier than chemo. The best part for me was the doctor said they would not be doing bloodwork and even the CT Scan would be without contrast so no needle pokes. I'm really sick of getting stuck. My port is not used for bloodwork, only chemo.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your radiation treatments!

Hugs, Leeza
  • MNLynn
    tally said:

Radiation appt
    My appt with the radiologist went very well. He was extremely nice and calming. He explained everything as did the nurse and they gave me a lotion to put on my skin twice a day. I have my CT Scan Tuesday and they will do the markings for my treatment. He was just very reassuring. Lynn, you asked about the ovary removal. My oncologist suggested it because I am 44 and my cancer is estrogen positive. I have not menopaused yet and so my ovaries are still producing estrogen. He said that since I have not menopaused I would take Tamoxifen but without my ovaries, I would menopause and I could take Arimadex and my chances would be higher that the cancer would not come back. As soon as I finish rad I'm having the surgery. My oncologist is not gynelogical but the surgeon who did my lumpectomy had also mentioned to me the possibility of ovary removal. I have a very bad family history of breast cancer- mother, grandmother and 2 great grandmothers. I kind of always thought that I would get it someday. Didn't think it would be until I was older. I am stage II with micro-metastasis in my sentinil node.

Tally,
    I am so glad to hear that you are getting the support you need from your rad onc - makes a world of difference to have drs that you can put your trust in and who listen to your concerns.

I am post-menopausal (56 yrs. old), and started on Arimidex last month. I'll be meeting with an ob/gyn dr in Sept. My med onc wants me to get the BRCA test done, but I'm thinking that I probably won't do that. But, with my family history, I kind of do want my ovaries/fallopian tubes out - from what I've read, there is really no good way to screen for ovarian cancer - it sounds like, by the time they find something with that, there may be no good way to treat it.

I was stage 1B bc (guess previously it would have been a stage II bc, but my dr said they have new guidelines - doesn't really change the cancer that's in my body, anyway). Mine was just under 2 cm and, like you, micrometasteses (sp?) in sentinel nodes (2 nodes for me).

I wish you all the best as you move forward with your treatments. I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

♥ Lynn ♥

p.s. what lotion did they give you to use on your skin?
  • tally
    MNLynn said:

Tally,
    I am so glad to hear that you are getting the support you need from your rad onc - makes a world of difference to have drs that you can put your trust in and who listen to your concerns.

I am post-menopausal (56 yrs. old), and started on Arimidex last month. I'll be meeting with an ob/gyn dr in Sept. My med onc wants me to get the BRCA test done, but I'm thinking that I probably won't do that. But, with my family history, I kind of do want my ovaries/fallopian tubes out - from what I've read, there is really no good way to screen for ovarian cancer - it sounds like, by the time they find something with that, there may be no good way to treat it.

I was stage 1B bc (guess previously it would have been a stage II bc, but my dr said they have new guidelines - doesn't really change the cancer that's in my body, anyway). Mine was just under 2 cm and, like you, micrometasteses (sp?) in sentinel nodes (2 nodes for me).

I wish you all the best as you move forward with your treatments. I will be keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

♥ Lynn ♥

p.s. what lotion did they give you to use on your skin?

MNLynn
    You and I have similar stories. I had 4 lymph nodes removed and sentinil node and the one next to it had the micrometastasis. The surgeon decided not to remove anymore nodes since the third and fourth were negative. I asked the rad onc doctor about the possibility of cancer having spread because of the 2 nodes and he assured me that it was such a small amount it was very unlikely it had spread anywhere. I was so relieved. My surgeon and I dicussed the BRCA test but I'm not going to do it. I don't think it would change anything for me now. And my insurance won't cover it and it is expensive. I work for a doctor and I called the lab to get a price and it was over $1000. The results would not cause me to get a mastectomy as I have had a lumpectomy. I will just continue on with the journey I'm on. The lotion I was given is called "Alra" therapy lotion. It says on the bottle it is physician recommended and "created to meet the challenge of skin care during radiation and chemotherapy". It is 100% Aloe Vera and has vit E, collagen, Allantoin and Lanolin in it. It doesn't have any fragrance of alcohol in it. Seems to be good stuff. The rad onc doctor also told me if my skin itched to use a topical 1% cortisone cream and if my skin hurt at all to use Neosporin pain formula ointment because it has Lidocaine, or something like it in it, to numb the area. Its good talking with you Lynn. Sorry you've had to go through this but thanks for making me not feel so alone. I'll add you to my prayer list.
  • MNLynn
    tally said:

MNLynn
    You and I have similar stories. I had 4 lymph nodes removed and sentinil node and the one next to it had the micrometastasis. The surgeon decided not to remove anymore nodes since the third and fourth were negative. I asked the rad onc doctor about the possibility of cancer having spread because of the 2 nodes and he assured me that it was such a small amount it was very unlikely it had spread anywhere. I was so relieved. My surgeon and I dicussed the BRCA test but I'm not going to do it. I don't think it would change anything for me now. And my insurance won't cover it and it is expensive. I work for a doctor and I called the lab to get a price and it was over $1000. The results would not cause me to get a mastectomy as I have had a lumpectomy. I will just continue on with the journey I'm on. The lotion I was given is called "Alra" therapy lotion. It says on the bottle it is physician recommended and "created to meet the challenge of skin care during radiation and chemotherapy". It is 100% Aloe Vera and has vit E, collagen, Allantoin and Lanolin in it. It doesn't have any fragrance of alcohol in it. Seems to be good stuff. The rad onc doctor also told me if my skin itched to use a topical 1% cortisone cream and if my skin hurt at all to use Neosporin pain formula ointment because it has Lidocaine, or something like it in it, to numb the area. Its good talking with you Lynn. Sorry you've had to go through this but thanks for making me not feel so alone. I'll add you to my prayer list.

that lotion sounds great . . .
    I was told to use Aquaphor (like a petroleum jelly - very greasy, but good) or aloe vera on my skin - and I did find an aloe vera with lidocaine which my dr said I could use. I asked about using Neosporin (with the pain killer in it), but my rad techs said "no" on that - I don't know why - I think that probably would have helped when my skin started burning. Glad you got the "ok" on that.

While I'm writing this I can only see your last post - I don't remember if you said what your treatment schedule is . . . ?? When do you (or did you) start rads?

I will keep you in my prayers, also . . . it's so good to be able to talk with and pray for others who are also on this journey.

Best of luck!

♥ Lynn ♥
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    tally said:

Radiation appt
    My oncologist set up my appt for me and I'm glad because I didn't know where to begin. I just wanted someone good. The doctor told me what to expect with my skin, the dryness and the redness. He told me to wear loose shirts and not get the area exposed to the sun. He gave me a lotion to use twice a day and told me what king of soap and deoderant to use. He said I would see him once a week to go over any questions I had and to check my skin. Tuesday I will have a CT Scan and they will do the markings for my treatment. Then I will go for a sort of test run to make sure the markings line up just right with the machine. It sounds alot easier than chemo. The best part for me was the doctor said they would not be doing bloodwork and even the CT Scan would be without contrast so no needle pokes. I'm really sick of getting stuck. My port is not used for bloodwork, only chemo.

Wishing you good luck with
    Wishing you good luck with rads Tally! Use your creams from day one, get lots of rest and be gentle with your skin. Be sure your rads oncologist does check you at least once a week.

Hugs, Diane
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Thanks for the post. I too
    Thanks for the post. I too see the radiation doctor tomorrow for the first time and do not know what to expect, so this helps.

I'll keep you in my prayers as well.

Sparkle