Before all your treatment, chemo and or radiation, what helped you make a decsion?

Options
2»

Comments

• susan smiles
    susan smiles Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Lots of Research!
    You have a lot more information available today than I did, eight years ago. A really good place to begin is to read Susanne Sommers book called "Knockout!" She interviews cancer Doctors who are very successful in fighting cancers of all types and stages.
    This is a very important and personal decision, that effects our very lives and the quality of them. So research very well, get a special notebook and take lots of notes because you now have to learn complicated medical terms and what they mean. Don't allow anyone to pressure you or use scare tactics, no matter what their specialty is.
    I was threatened by no less than 4 Oncologists and my Pathologist who told me I had less than 1 year to live if I did not take the prescribed 28 double rounds of chem with Herceptin. I followed several of the protocols in Susanne's book, all of which are well documented and have had great success. I really hope this will help you,take good care of yourself.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    choices
    My tumor was 2.5 cm and shrunk to 1 cm after 5 rounds of chemo. I opted for the lumpectomy on the advice of my surgeon, who is one of the top breast cancer research surgeons in the US.(NSABP). He said that having chemo, a lumpectomy and radiation gave the same chances of survival that the mastectomy did. So I listened to him.

Judy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

choices
    My tumor was 2.5 cm and shrunk to 1 cm after 5 rounds of chemo. I opted for the lumpectomy on the advice of my surgeon, who is one of the top breast cancer research surgeons in the US.(NSABP). He said that having chemo, a lumpectomy and radiation gave the same chances of survival that the mastectomy did. So I listened to him.

Judy

Its very complicated. I have
    Its very complicated. I have my first mastectomy at age 34, I had reconstruction, then had it removed for radiation, as I got a local recurrence a year later. I had small children and did not opt for any more surgery, but I always felt bad I had one large breast and one prosthesis that was hard to match. It made a differnece in the way I dressed. I always wore baggy shirts, sweatshirts. then I wanted a propholatic mastectomy, but I was 48 at that time, and another cancer was found prior to the surgery. Iopted for mastectomy, and reconstruction. Then when the pathology came back (another suprise) I had to have radiation and the doc wanted the implant removed. so now I have two prosthesis and I feel actually better (except the cancer part). since I would have to have 10 hours of surgery for reconstruction I have decided enough is enough. I do miss my breasts, but never actually had full reconstructions wo dont know how that feels. Although I wish there was some way to have sensation> Reconstruction does make getting dressed easier. but I am fine the way I am. though with no boobs, short curly dark hair and an 80 pound weight loss I dont know who I am and alot of people dont know me either. plus with my new size i opted for smaller boobs. (prostesis). there is no perfect answer. it is what you feel psychologically, what you can deal with.
  • dena brannan
    dena brannan Member Posts: 6
    Options
    please whatever decision you
    please whatever decision you make remember its your life i was not told about reconstruction till sixteen months after the mastectomy you have options but an offer of chemo is an offer to a chance at a good life
  • dena brannan
    dena brannan Member Posts: 6
    Options
    please whatever decision you
    please whatever decision you make remember its your life i was not told about reconstruction till sixteen months after the mastectomy you have options but an offer of chemo is an offer to a chance at a good life after the first cancer they did not offer it but with the invasive kind they said it would respond well to date they removed the one the size of my docs fist and the rest have vanished and not returned but it just as much a spiritual journey as a terifying medical one good luck