I need some advice please

Options
Lilmiss82
Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well first I want to say Thank You to everyone on this board. I took some time away as heartache was overwhelming at times, but it is because of everyone’s support and concern for each other that I was able to complete the 6 months of Folfox. You all have imprinted yourselves on my heart and mind and I wish you all the best. Even though you may not hear from me often you guys are never forgotten :) With that said I really need your input. I completed Folfox on June 13th and took a month vacation away from cancer and chemo. That is until today, I had my 1st infusion of Avastin. Just Avastin nothing else. I was unable to have Avastin while on Folfox due to slow regeneration of my liver. So, my question is has anyone been on Avastin alone and it been effective? Or should I insist that my onc add chemo. I had a CT scan on June 24th and all came back clear so I am very fearful that I should do more than just Avastin. I know that this is a question I should ask my onc but her take on it is that chemo will be added if something shows up on my next CT. That doesn't sit well with me why wait until something shows, shouldn't I prevent that from happening ?

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I've done avastin alone many times
    between recurrences ;). it's a targeted therapy, designed to keep tumor cells from providing themselves with blood supply, so there's no reason NOT to give it alone, it's designed to give you more time between disease progession.
    mary
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your
    Congratulations on your success in completing the chemo + on the clear scan; I am truly happy for you.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    AnneCan said:

Congratulations on your
    Congratulations on your success in completing the chemo + on the clear scan; I am truly happy for you.

If your asking for advice...
    then my advice is that the onc is right on with the Avastin. He/she is strictly targeting tumor growth by starving the blood supply to it. Sounds like a mission being accomplished with the least collateral damage prevented by leaving the chemo out...Sounds like treatment without all the nasty side effects...best of both worlds......

BUT...thats only my humble opinion...but I sure am glad to see you doing so well....and great pic also......Love and Hope, Buzz
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Options
    Hey There
    I dont have any advice, I didnt have the treatment you did. But I wanted to say I read your story, and how amazing I thought it was. I happen to be a Federal Cop (immigration), it was my dream too, I guess I just hope that some day you will be able to make that dream come true...I wish you all the best..I will be including you in my dreams if you dont mind..

Best of luck to you...

HUGS
    Beth
  • Lilmiss82
    Lilmiss82 Member Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    dorookie said:

Hey There
    I dont have any advice, I didnt have the treatment you did. But I wanted to say I read your story, and how amazing I thought it was. I happen to be a Federal Cop (immigration), it was my dream too, I guess I just hope that some day you will be able to make that dream come true...I wish you all the best..I will be including you in my dreams if you dont mind..

Best of luck to you...

HUGS
    Beth

Beth
    Thank you Beth. To be honest that has been the hardest part of this battle, and it consumes my life a lot these days. Having to put my hopes and dreams on hold for now is really rough. Never did I think this could happen and I try to remain positive but at timses I get teary eyed when I see a black and white or when people announce that they are expecting. Silly, I know but I assumed that my life would go according to plan. What a curve ball