Is it a support "group" if only 2 people show up?

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So I know you've all been breathlessly awaiting my report...:-)

I went to my very first breast cancer support group this evening. It was...disappointing. Only one other woman came. The facilitator (who's an oncology social worker at City of Hope) is clearly very knowledgeable and experienced, and did her best to get discussion going, but it didn't really happen.

Ever the optimist, I'm going to commit to trying it for 3 months (the group meets only monthly) before making a decision about what I think.

Any of you want to come next month? I think I'd enjoy it a lot more! :-)

Traci

Comments

• Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Support group
    Hi Traci,

I did enjoy your last post about your support group. (I thought you found a group). I have attended one in my area. It was a small group, too. I went before my surgery, newly diagnosed and it was scary. (I was still in the "shock" phase.... )

Just last week I joined a support group (through Memorial Hospital). We met at the beach and walked for an hour. It was great. I am planning on going each Friday until my work schedule changes (in September).

I would love to help support your commitment. When and where are your meetings? ** Hey, if that doesn't work... we can make our own CSN support group.

Merry (Sally5)
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Sally5 said:

Support group
    Hi Traci,

I did enjoy your last post about your support group. (I thought you found a group). I have attended one in my area. It was a small group, too. I went before my surgery, newly diagnosed and it was scary. (I was still in the "shock" phase.... )

Just last week I joined a support group (through Memorial Hospital). We met at the beach and walked for an hour. It was great. I am planning on going each Friday until my work schedule changes (in September).

I would love to help support your commitment. When and where are your meetings? ** Hey, if that doesn't work... we can make our own CSN support group.

Merry (Sally5)

Oh, how cool would it be to walk the beach with a support group!
    I'm in AZ and went a few times to a monthly support group. The ladies were really nice, but most had been coming for a long time and they all knew each other. At the time I think I was the only one still in treatment, so I didn't really feel like I fit in. I'm not really sure I'm getting what I need from them--and isn't that the whole point of a support group? Right now, you all here are my support group. Thank you!

Renee
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    A bra has 2 cups and it
    A bra has 2 cups and it constitutes support...so maybe!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • Sally5
    missrenee said:

Oh, how cool would it be to walk the beach with a support group!
    I'm in AZ and went a few times to a monthly support group. The ladies were really nice, but most had been coming for a long time and they all knew each other. At the time I think I was the only one still in treatment, so I didn't really feel like I fit in. I'm not really sure I'm getting what I need from them--and isn't that the whole point of a support group? Right now, you all here are my support group. Thank you!

Renee

Support group
    Miss Renee,

Yes, the beach walk was great. It made me feel "normal".. . even if it was for an hour. (I am at 10 weeks after surgery).

You are the definition of "support" group.... I read about you helping Ayse.
    That was so sweet.
    Take care.

Merry (Sally5)
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    chenheart said:

A bra has 2 cups and it

Hugs,
    Chen

LOL!
    And I still am! :)))

Good for you to stick it out for three months.

I agree with Chen ... it only takes two! ;)

Hopefully it will get better. I hate that awkward silence, no one knows to say feeling. I guess it can only get better? Hopefully they will.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    chenheart said:

A bra has 2 cups and it

Hugs,
    Chen

Oh you made laugh
    HAHAHAHA Chen I didn't see that one coming!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Sally5 said:

Support group
    Hi Traci,

Merry (Sally5)

Merry, where are you
    Merry, where are you located? I am in northern Florida and just wondered after reading your post and mentioning Memorial Hospital (we have one) and beach (we have that, too) if you were in my neck of the woods?
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    RE said:

Oh you made laugh
    HAHAHAHA Chen I didn't see that one coming!

Chen, I love it! :)
    You have such a way with words....you really need to write a book! Yes, I agree Traci....it is still a support group and I am sure you will find it to be just that...support and encouragement. Sharing your experience and burden with even just one other person, lightens the load and gives a release that would not be there otherwise. Be blessed!
    Lorrie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Balentine said:

Chen, I love it! :)
    You have such a way with words....you really need to write a book! Yes, I agree Traci....it is still a support group and I am sure you will find it to be just that...support and encouragement. Sharing your experience and burden with even just one other person, lightens the load and gives a release that would not be there otherwise. Be blessed!
    Lorrie

A support group is just
    A support group is just that, support, even if it might only be one or two other people. If you are finding it to be useful and comforting for you, then I hope you do stick it out.

Maybe some of the women are away on vacation or something. I hope more show up and I hope you do enjoy it Traci.

Hugs, Debby
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    That's the Spirit Traci!
    Traci... at least you are trying. You know... the group I belonged to met once a week. It was for those undergoing the process of cancer and all if its nuances. I attended and then cut back to every other week.

The group always had kernels of wisdom that left me chewing( sort a speak) for days, weeks. I eventually stopped going all together because it got to be too heavy for me.

I am, I'll admit it, a tender heart at times. Hearing some of the other gals situations left me reeling. I met some wonderful gals as a result of the program, mind you. I keep in touch with them, but have decided to take a break from the group.

There is another group for those who have finished with treatment. That group meets twice a month. I am not ready for that group either. I figure I gave support meetings a go. I learned about cancer, myself, and have made some new friends, but it's time for me to move on. If I should need additional support in the future, I know where to go.

I think it's great that you are giving the group a chance. You never know what will happen, who you will meet, and what you will learn about yourself in the process.
    BL
  • Sally5
    MyTurnNow said:

Merry, where are you
    Merry, where are you located? I am in northern Florida and just wondered after reading your post and mentioning Memorial Hospital (we have one) and beach (we have that, too) if you were in my neck of the woods?

My Turn Now
    Hi MyTurnNow,

I guess there are a lot of Memorial Hospitals. (I'm in Southern Calif.) We both have nice beaches....
    That would be nice.
    Thanks.

Merry (Sally5)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

That's the Spirit Traci!
    Traci... at least you are trying. You know... the group I belonged to met once a week. It was for those undergoing the process of cancer and all if its nuances. I attended and then cut back to every other week.

The group always had kernels of wisdom that left me chewing( sort a speak) for days, weeks. I eventually stopped going all together because it got to be too heavy for me.

I am, I'll admit it, a tender heart at times. Hearing some of the other gals situations left me reeling. I met some wonderful gals as a result of the program, mind you. I keep in touch with them, but have decided to take a break from the group.

There is another group for those who have finished with treatment. That group meets twice a month. I am not ready for that group either. I figure I gave support meetings a go. I learned about cancer, myself, and have made some new friends, but it's time for me to move on. If I should need additional support in the future, I know where to go.

I think it's great that you are giving the group a chance. You never know what will happen, who you will meet, and what you will learn about yourself in the process.
    BL

I like you Traci, would stick it out .. maybe the group
    is smaller during the summer months - due to vacations, and children off from school. I am so happy for you and this group. I found 1 out in my area, only to have it break up -- 1 month later .. due to schedules, and lack of interest.

Vicki Sam