In honor of, in memory of

Options
Kathryn_in_MN
Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am team captain for our Relay for Life this Friday night. I have a list of family and friends who are survivors, or who have lost to the beast. I am walking a lap for each of them. The opening survivor lap I am walking for me! Then each lap after that is dedicated to a different person, in honor, or in memory. I have asked all those that donated to please let me know who they want me to walk in honor or memory of, so that list has grown to include friends and family of friends and family.

I'm not asking any of my fellow semi-colons for donations, but I do want to honor you, and say thank you. You've all been a big part of my education and support during my battle.

If you are battling the beast whether NED or in active treatment, please send me your name. (It is hard for me to relate to just a screen name in some cases if it isn't like a real name.) Caregivers please send me your name - you are an important part of this battle too. If anyone wants to add someone who we've lost to the beast please send their name. Unfortunately I have a few on that list already. There will be tears shed during many of my laps.

I walk and raise funds for ACS to say thank you for the support they've given me, and to support them so they can support others in the future, and most importantly to support the research they fund in hopes that one day those three little words "you have cancer" will not have the awful impact it has now, but will be saying that you have a curable disease.

I hope that you too will consider fundraising for ACS. If you aren't physically able to participate in Relay for Life, you can still fundraise online. You'd be surprised at how many people will support you and ACS if you just ask. I made my page and sent a request to everyone in my contacts list, and have raised $760 so far. We are setting up a game at the event to raise more too.
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY10MW?px=17075359&pg=personal&fr_id=23020

You can email Kathryn@KathrynsTravel.com with names, or post them here - whatever you are more comfortable with, to be included in a dedicated lap. I will be honoring those on my lap list on my event page, and in a note on my FaceBook page too. You are all special and deserve recognition for what you've been through, and what you do for others, sharing your experiences.

Comments

• SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    I'm a Team Captain for Relay
    I'm a Team Captain for Relay for Life in Beaverton Oregon! Our 24 hour event is this Saturday. Can't wait.....been raising $$$ for it for months. My team has almost raised $5,000....I alone beat the $1,000 goal this year. I am SOOOO happy to see others join in this great program!
    I walk as a survivor as well, and we honor many!!

Good luck Kathryn and KUDOS to you!!!!!
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    SueRelays said:

I'm a Team Captain for Relay for Life in Beaverton Oregon! Our 24 hour event is this Saturday. Can't wait.....been raising $$$ for it for months. My team has almost raised $5,000....I alone beat the $1,000 goal this year. I am SOOOO happy to see others join in this great program!

Me, too!
    We did our Relay in May. I'm captain of our team, and we topped $5000. This was the first year that I made the "Grand Club," and I was so excited! I love doing the survivor lap. So emotional.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Thanks for walking for us
    Please add me to your list:

Gail Keefe
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Gail Keefe

Kathryn,
    I just made a

Kathryn,
    I just made a donation on your webpage! It is not much but I know every little bit counts! Now take that Survivors lap for all of us here!!!!!!
    Kathy
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Gail Keefe

Gail
    Gail - you are on my list!
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Options
    khl8 said:

Kathryn,
    I just made a

Kathryn,
    I just made a donation on your webpage! It is not much but I know every little bit counts! Now take that Survivors lap for all of us here!!!!!!
    Kathy

You are on my list
    Kathy - I'm walking a lap in in honor of you. Thanks for donating too.
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Options
    SueRelays said:

Sue
    That is fantastic work by your team and you! This is my first one. (Other than going two weeks ago to observe and walk the Survivor's lap.)

I'll be finishing as you start. We go 6:30 tomorrow night till 6:30 Saturday morning, just a 12 hour event. KUDOS to you and your team!
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Me, too!
    We did our Relay in May. I'm captain of our team, and we topped $5000. This was the first year that I made the "Grand Club," and I was so excited! I love doing the survivor lap. So emotional.

*hugs*
    Gail

Great job!
    Another team over $5000 - fantastic!
  • Gail
    Gail - you are on my list!

This comment has been removed by the Moderator