Reconstruction

missingtexas
missingtexas Member Posts: 146
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anybody had implants after radiation. I was under the impression that when all of this was over, I could choose implants as an option. The surgeon who is doing my mastectomy at the end of August told me he didn't think the plastic surgeon would do implants after my radiation was over. This whole thing has been such an emotional roller coaster and that certainly didn't help.

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    It is doable
    Hi missingtexas,

I had a DMX without radiation, but I know of women who have had implants who also had radiation. It is more difficult and can have more complications, but there are women who have done it.

Two important variables:
    1) Your skin integrity, how will it deal with the radiation
    2) The skill and experience of the plastic surgeon.

Will you have radiation on both sides, or just the one side? That could make a different too. Skin doesn't expand as well after radiation nor heal as well.

Some opt for the flap surgeries where your own fat is used. That could be a better option for you. I would talk to several plastic surgeons, not just one, to get a good idea on what your options are. And I think, you DO have options.

Best of luck. And please keep us posted! :)

Much Love,
    dh
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Sorry missingtexas i only
    Sorry missingtexas i only had chemo no rads, but i had a double mastectomy and just had the implants put in. I wouldnt know why you couldnt get implants if you have a mastectomy...i have no idea how the rads effect them so hopefully one of the other girls can explain it.
    Welcome to the site!
  • missingtexas

It is doable
    Hi missingtexas,

I had a DMX without radiation, but I know of women who have had implants who also had radiation. It is more difficult and can have more complications, but there are women who have done it.

Two important variables:
    1) Your skin integrity, how will it deal with the radiation
    2) The skill and experience of the plastic surgeon.

Will you have radiation on both sides, or just the one side? That could make a different too. Skin doesn't expand as well after radiation nor heal as well.

Some opt for the flap surgeries where your own fat is used. That could be a better option for you. I would talk to several plastic surgeons, not just one, to get a good idea on what your options are. And I think, you DO have options.

Best of luck. And please keep us posted! :)

Much Love,
    dh

Thank you so much. I will
    Thank you so much. I will have radiation to the left side only. I am supposed to meet with the plastic surgeon next week and I'm glad you brought it up because I was wondering if maybe I should get the opinion from others before I make a decision. I have time since it will be the end of November before I even finish radiation. I have felt as though I have no control over anything that is happening to me and this just seemed like another blow. It's difficult to explain to people who aren't going through it because I get the same reaction from everybody "who cares about what happens during reconstruction. Worry about getting rid of the cancer."
  • missingtexas
    jo jo said:

Sorry missingtexas i only
    Sorry missingtexas i only had chemo no rads, but i had a double mastectomy and just had the implants put in. I wouldnt know why you couldnt get implants if you have a mastectomy...i have no idea how the rads effect them so hopefully one of the other girls can explain it.
    Welcome to the site!

Thank you for the
    Thank you for the welcome...have been feeling really depressed and lonely...reading your profile was very uplifting! :)
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    if i do have reconstruction, it will have to be after radiation
    i wanted to have immediate reconstruction,but was informed that due to the fact the radiation after my mastectomy is a must, i would have to wait and have delayed reconstruction. i was devastated. i don't know if after all this i will want to undergo another surgery somewhere down the line.

however, being on this website has afforded me a lot of insight i wouldn't have had access to. of the women i know personally who have had breast cancer, the ones who were able to do immediate reconstruction did it. the ones who had to wait until after radiation chose not to.

i guess i won't know until i reach that point what i will decide.

you need to meet with the plastic surgeon - i did when i thought i was going to have my mastecotmy in may. unfortunately, we discovered my first course of chemo didn't work and the cancer had spread, so i am going through chemo again.
  • missingtexas
    heidijez said:

if i do have reconstruction, it will have to be after radiation
    i wanted to have immediate reconstruction,but was informed that due to the fact the radiation after my mastectomy is a must, i would have to wait and have delayed reconstruction. i was devastated. i don't know if after all this i will want to undergo another surgery somewhere down the line.

however, being on this website has afforded me a lot of insight i wouldn't have had access to. of the women i know personally who have had breast cancer, the ones who were able to do immediate reconstruction did it. the ones who had to wait until after radiation chose not to.

i guess i won't know until i reach that point what i will decide.

you need to meet with the plastic surgeon - i did when i thought i was going to have my mastecotmy in may. unfortunately, we discovered my first course of chemo didn't work and the cancer had spread, so i am going through chemo again.

I do know that it will be
    I do know that it will be delayed for radiation. I'm sorry that your cancer has spread. I sort of stumbled upon this site and like you, I think it offers a lot of insight...and people who understand.