New to Cancer and this site

Options
Dapsterd
Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hello....I am 47 and "was" pretty healthy. 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with 3b LC, fist size tumor right lung and 1/2 dozen lymph node involvement, in-operable....of course COPD/emphasyema (smoker 25 yrs) as well, although that is on the back burner.

Well good news, after 5 weeks of chemo (taxol/carboplatin) 4 hrs/week and 5 weeks of radiation Monday- friday, a CT showed cancer has shrunk 30% !!!
I have 20 radiations remaining and another 21 chemos....we will see !!

My Dad is not fairing as well, his non-hodgskin lymphoma, turned aggressive after his multiple chemos, he is week, but they are going to try 2nd round of another cocktail and see what happens, he has been in the Josephine Ford Cancer Center/Henry Ford Hospital Detroit for a week now. I am afraid this is the beginning to the end, really. He is 150lb max (from 165lb) and very very weak from last chemo bout and recent cancer flare-up..he is 79 yrs old.
Pretty wild ride these days!

Love all

Dave

Comments

• cobra1122
    cobra1122 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Wild Ride??!!
    Dave, It sure does sound like you have your hands full, yet your not spazing out. You hopefully are keeping a positive attitude in both your case and your Dads, that will help quite alot. My wife and I have found that a positive atttitude helps us get through the rough times a lot easier.
    If you read my bio, you'll find I have a complicate health status which has gotten alittle worse. I was diagnosis with stage 4 lung cancer w/ mets to the lymphs in 08. I had NSCLC in my right lung and lymphs ( multiple tumors) and SCLC in my left (Multiple tumors). I was given chemo as a pallative measure, which did help tho I had complications because of other health issues. I have at this time less than 305 of my heart working, I have early onset of both Altizheimers and Parkinsons,I had a stroke in 07, and suffer from TIAs now (mini-strokes), I survive a 21 ft fall in 1991and went through 2 years of rehab to learn to walk and talk.
    But through it all, my wife and I have learned that laughter and a positive attitude do help you get through all this. We feel fortunate to have got on this site and met so many compassionate adn knowledgable people to help us through this.
    If there is anything you need just ask, someone will answer, and I am sure you'll get more responses than you thought.
    This journey as you might already know is different for everyone and everyone has different effects from treatments, but we all still have a lot in common and are here to try and make this journey alittle less bumpy. Your never alone as long as you seek out others.
    Our Prayers and Best Wishes to Your Dad, You, Your Family, and Everyone,
    Dan (cobra1122) and Margi Harmon
  • Dapsterd
    Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
    Options
    cobra1122 said:

Wild Ride??!!
    Dave, It sure does sound like you have your hands full, yet your not spazing out. You hopefully are keeping a positive attitude in both your case and your Dads, that will help quite alot. My wife and I have found that a positive atttitude helps us get through the rough times a lot easier.
    If you read my bio, you'll find I have a complicate health status which has gotten alittle worse. I was diagnosis with stage 4 lung cancer w/ mets to the lymphs in 08. I had NSCLC in my right lung and lymphs ( multiple tumors) and SCLC in my left (Multiple tumors). I was given chemo as a pallative measure, which did help tho I had complications because of other health issues. I have at this time less than 305 of my heart working, I have early onset of both Altizheimers and Parkinsons,I had a stroke in 07, and suffer from TIAs now (mini-strokes), I survive a 21 ft fall in 1991and went through 2 years of rehab to learn to walk and talk.
    But through it all, my wife and I have learned that laughter and a positive attitude do help you get through all this. We feel fortunate to have got on this site and met so many compassionate adn knowledgable people to help us through this.
    If there is anything you need just ask, someone will answer, and I am sure you'll get more responses than you thought.
    This journey as you might already know is different for everyone and everyone has different effects from treatments, but we all still have a lot in common and are here to try and make this journey alittle less bumpy. Your never alone as long as you seek out others.
    Our Prayers and Best Wishes to Your Dad, You, Your Family, and Everyone,
    Dan (cobra1122) and Margi Harmon

Thanx
    Thanx much Dan and Margi....I can see through your writing that attitude must be a major player in the health equation... Your posts are inspirational.

Thanx again !

Dave
  • Chevy4777
    Chevy4777 Member Posts: 22
    Options
    New myself
    Dave,

I am new to the site myself as you know. Congrats on your dramatic response to treatment !!
    I know it will continue.

Warm Wishes,

Joe