Tightness after rads?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Its been 2 months since rads was over. This past week I've been feeling a tight stiffness under my armpit when I stretch my arm up, also in breast by scar area. I'm sure it's probably nothing to worry about, but I do. Also a burning sensation, sometimes a jabbing pain underarm. Very strange and hard to explain. Any one know if this is from radiation?

Comments

• MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    It's been 3 months since my
    It's been 3 months since my last rads and I've been having the same tightness and occasional sharp pains. I still have swelling too. I just assumed it was part of the healing process but plan on asking my radiology oncologist on my next appt.
    I keep thinking the tightness is like a facelift except it's my boob lift!
    Thanks for posting your concern...hopefully someone will offer some advise to us. :)
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    MGNS said:

It's been 3 months since my last rads and I've been having the same tightness and occasional sharp pains. I still have swelling too. I just assumed it was part of the healing process but plan on asking my radiology oncologist on my next appt.
    Thanks for posting your concern...hopefully someone will offer some advise to us. :)

Hi Ladies!
    I had lumpectomy

Hi Ladies!

I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on left side 5/12/10. I wasn't given any exercises to do after the surgery, and I had issues with pain and numbness in my left arm down to my fingers. That went away after a week or so, then I had issues all over again when I did radiation. I had the partial-breast radiation twice a day for five days. I would need help lowering my arm after it had been up during treatment. My incisions hurt like crazy after treatment too. They felt bruised like someone hit me with a bat. My lymph node incision is still numb right along the scar, but the area around it is sore.

I told my rad onco about the issues, and she set me up with PT to help get my range of motion back. I have exercises I do at home. I still get a sharp pain under my incision site every so often. When I have my left arm at a certain angle, my pinky and ring fingers will go to sleep. The doc explained that when they go in to remove the lymph node, they have to sometimes move the nerves around to get to what needs to come out, and that makes the nerves 'angry'. I'll say so! ha ha!

You should def talk to your rad oncos because you may benefit from the PT and the Lymphedema prevention therapy. You can get lymphedema in your arm, under your arm, and in the breast, so please tell them of your concerns.

Good luck to you both! Let us know what you find out!

~julie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    JuJuBeez said:

Hi Ladies!
    I had lumpectomy

Hi Ladies!

I had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on left side 5/12/10. I wasn't given any exercises to do after the surgery, and I had issues with pain and numbness in my left arm down to my fingers. That went away after a week or so, then I had issues all over again when I did radiation. I had the partial-breast radiation twice a day for five days. I would need help lowering my arm after it had been up during treatment. My incisions hurt like crazy after treatment too. They felt bruised like someone hit me with a bat. My lymph node incision is still numb right along the scar, but the area around it is sore.

I told my rad onco about the issues, and she set me up with PT to help get my range of motion back. I have exercises I do at home. I still get a sharp pain under my incision site every so often. When I have my left arm at a certain angle, my pinky and ring fingers will go to sleep. The doc explained that when they go in to remove the lymph node, they have to sometimes move the nerves around to get to what needs to come out, and that makes the nerves 'angry'. I'll say so! ha ha!

You should def talk to your rad oncos because you may benefit from the PT and the Lymphedema prevention therapy. You can get lymphedema in your arm, under your arm, and in the breast, so please tell them of your concerns.

Good luck to you both! Let us know what you find out!

~julie

Are you moisturizing? i was
    Are you moisturizing? i was told to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. that and PT helps.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Yes, I had very similar symptoms
    My rads finished on 4/28, and I was having the same type of pains. Recently, the pain became more constant and I noticed an increase in the swelling of my breast. I called the cancer center and they recommended I see a Lympedema Therapist. I went in yesterday and the therapist confirmed that I have some lymphedema in the breast area and some very slight swelling in the corresponding arm. I'm now doing 2X daily self-massage to stimulate the flow of the lymph system and I also got a compression sleeve and glove to wear whenever I fly just to keep it from expanding any more into my arm.

I don't want to alarm you as yours may just be normal nerve reconnections and healing, but you should definitely keep an eye on your body and talk to your doctor about your concerns, and especially don't ignore any swelling. If you do end up with lymphedema, it is MUCH easier to deal with if you catch it very early, so don't wait!

Take care,
    Cindy
  • krkath
    krkath Member Posts: 72
    MGNS said:

Tightness and Pain
    Hi MG!
    It's been quite a while since I've responded on CSN.
    I remember crying at my last rad session, I got so burnt. But it did stay tight probably due to surgery and rads for a while. Even now.
    You have to give it a little time. I'm at 6 years out (2004 diagnose) and my doctor is so concerned about my cholesterol,(now) she gave me one of the "Statin Drugs" (which affects your muscles I found out). My masectomy side cramped up so bad where the incision was (didn't have recon) that my arm locks in place at the elbow. Talk about sucking. So, I think we all have major pains and are lucky to be alive!
    I did however take a warm bubble baths with lavendar and it is sooo relaxing. Lavedar candles, pot pouri, hand soap.
    Bubbles Bubbles Bubbles!
    Hugs and things do get better.
    KathR
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

Are you moisturizing? i was
    Are you moisturizing? i was told to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. that and PT helps.

I didn't have this. I
    I didn't have this. I wonder if it is because I really smothered myself with aquaphor. That cream is great! My skin never got tight or dry. Looks great now!

Hugs, Angie
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Changes following radiation
    Hi Laurissa, My rad oncologist explained to me that changes in tissue can continue to occur for a year after radiation. Definitely talk to your doctor when you see him or her; s/he can suggest p/t or whatever else may help. xoxoxo Lynn
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    lynn1950 said:

Changes following radiation
    Hi Laurissa, My rad oncologist explained to me that changes in tissue can continue to occur for a year after radiation. Definitely talk to your doctor when you see him or her; s/he can suggest p/t or whatever else may help. xoxoxo Lynn

Hi Laurissa! What you
    Hi Laurissa! What you describe didn't happen to me, or, not yet anyway. My rads oncologist said what Lynn1950 said, it can take up to a year to fully recover from rads. Talk to yours and see what he says. Hope you feel better soon!

Sue :)
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Ritzy said:

Hi Laurissa! What you
    Hi Laurissa! What you describe didn't happen to me, or, not yet anyway. My rads oncologist said what Lynn1950 said, it can take up to a year to fully recover from rads. Talk to yours and see what he says. Hope you feel better soon!

Sue :)

P.T!
    That was what helped me 100%. Physical Therapy. Some days it was tough going, I had to resort to deep breathing as she was stretching~but it was the best thing. I have excellent range of motion, and no tightness. Our bodies respond well, and it made the biggest difference for me.
    Melanie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

P.T!
    That was what helped me 100%. Physical Therapy. Some days it was tough going, I had to resort to deep breathing as she was stretching~but it was the best thing. I have excellent range of motion, and no tightness. Our bodies respond well, and it made the biggest difference for me.
    Melanie

You should probably see a
    You should probably see a PT. That seems to help so many that have the tightness.

Hugs, Leeza
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    jnl said:

You should probably see a
    You should probably see a PT. That seems to help so many that have the tightness.

Hugs, Leeza

I'm seeing a PT
    I'm seeing a PT specializing in breast cancer patients and I'm 7 months post-op lumpectomy and axillary node dissection, 2 months post-chemo and in the middle of rads. I have the tightness, burning, stinging under my arm, along my trunk and in the breast. I think a lot of the discomfort is due to the fact that I had 23 nodes removed. I've only been about 4 times so far, but already I feel the difference. I also have the massage technique to do at home to reduce swelling. I was lucky enough to find this particular PT who specializes in post-op breast cancer patients. I hope you can find someone like her. Good luck to you.

Renee
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    over a year
    I still can feel something completely different / tightness certain times when I reach...I have never mentioned it to the dr...just figured it was part of healing..maybe some day go away. NEVER pain or burning...