As I enter July.....

Options
Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am one year and a month since my liver resection and being cancer free, And almost 2 years since I was first diagnosed!! Here's to another year, and hopefully more! I can honestly say that I have never been as happy as I am now, in my relationship with my husband, daughters and my beliefs. I am eating healthy, keeping active and gathering with family. I'm not working, so I spend lots of time with my Mom. I work on the house and yard and just take it a day at a time.

I am managing my health with supplements. Planning my meals, or not planning and fixing a fruit or veggie smoothie, walking, and spending time each day doing some healthy eating research. I don't have any stress right now, I just don't allow it, I am the boss! lol

Thank you all for your part in getting me to this point. Your friendship, kindness and ears, or should I say eyes! have meant the world to me!

To us!! I am praying for all of you or sending the good vibes! Raquel

Comments

  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Great!
    Dear Raquel,

    I'm so happy that you're doing so well physically and emotionally. You sound like you're in a really good place right now!

    *hugs*
    Gail
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I am dancing for you!!!
    And, before you know it, it will be 5 years...and then 10....

    Hugs, Kathi
  • wifeandmom
    wifeandmom Member Posts: 31
    Options
    KathiM said:

    I am dancing for you!!!
    And, before you know it, it will be 5 years...and then 10....

    Hugs, Kathi

    Wonderful!
    Wonderful! Happy for you, and thankful for the view into a healthy future for those of us who are "newer" to this.
    Regards,
    Dorothy
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Congrats
    and keep the years coming :)
  • ketziah35
    ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
    Options
    my you continue to be blessed
    Nan,

    First of all my typing is bad so my apologies. I am a newbie and you responded to one of my posts. I sense you have a kind spirit. Can you give me some pointers fornutritionally handling this disease? You mentioned supplements in your previous post.

    Ketziah
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking
    Raquel,
    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking. I passed the 2 year mark from removal of the rectum tumor this past April. December will make the 2 years on the liver. So far so good.

    Times like this make we wish I could still drink. I would love to just sit and have a few with you. With what we all we cancer folks go through, the old saying of “you can’t drown your sorrows in booze, but you sure as hell can make them swim for it” rings loud and clear.

    Kerry
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking
    Raquel,
    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking. I passed the 2 year mark from removal of the rectum tumor this past April. December will make the 2 years on the liver. So far so good.

    Times like this make we wish I could still drink. I would love to just sit and have a few with you. With what we all we cancer folks go through, the old saying of “you can’t drown your sorrows in booze, but you sure as hell can make them swim for it” rings loud and clear.

    Kerry

    Great News Raq
    You are bubbling over and it makes me feel great. Thank you for that and for being here for us as well. You are a super person. Enjoy life and take care!

    Jennie
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Love this post Raquel. I am
    Love this post Raquel. I am 4 months post liver resection and just starting to think about living a life again, taking into account all the things you mentioned above.

    Each day I try to remember to be in a state of gratitude - for the little things, for how very far i've come in a year etc...

    Good Vibes back at ya!

    Peggy
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    pluckey said:

    Love this post Raquel. I am
    Love this post Raquel. I am 4 months post liver resection and just starting to think about living a life again, taking into account all the things you mentioned above.

    Each day I try to remember to be in a state of gratitude - for the little things, for how very far i've come in a year etc...

    Good Vibes back at ya!

    Peggy

    THANK YOU for the
    THANK YOU for the inspiration Raquel!!! I am 5 months out from my resection. Feel great, and like, you think it's the best I have felt! Doing most of the same things you mentioned, with the exception of working. Still trying to find away to get out of that!!!!
    But WOW it is so great to be here!!!

    CHEERS to you!!!!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    Kerry S said:

    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking
    Raquel,
    Great attitude with lots of positive thinking. I passed the 2 year mark from removal of the rectum tumor this past April. December will make the 2 years on the liver. So far so good.

    Times like this make we wish I could still drink. I would love to just sit and have a few with you. With what we all we cancer folks go through, the old saying of “you can’t drown your sorrows in booze, but you sure as hell can make them swim for it” rings loud and clear.

    Kerry

    Thanks Kerry!
    I would like to have a few, ah one with you...maybe a glass of Red wine!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    SueRelays said:

    THANK YOU for the
    THANK YOU for the inspiration Raquel!!! I am 5 months out from my resection. Feel great, and like, you think it's the best I have felt! Doing most of the same things you mentioned, with the exception of working. Still trying to find away to get out of that!!!!
    But WOW it is so great to be here!!!

    CHEERS to you!!!!

    The no work wasn't my
    The no work wasn't my choice, but I am taking care of that and they will hear from this smiley face! lol

    I face my demons one at a time, and don't let myself feel pity. I don't indulge in worry, and and only put healthy food in my mouth and try to be as active as I can. I read and educate myself so I can fight for my life and now I am at a point where it's a change of life.

    I hope I am making a difference but we all know that we just don't know. I feel that in 2008 my body was busy handling the stress of my husband losing his company, my grandson's passing, my daughter's plight that I didn't take care of myself and my immune system was not taking care of business. Me getting chicken pox and the shingles should have been a clue But I am dealing with it....Now every time I eat I think of the cancer cells being blasted to kingdom come! I just need to keep putting in the good fuel.

    I hope...... lol
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    ketziah35 said:

    my you continue to be blessed
    Nan,

    First of all my typing is bad so my apologies. I am a newbie and you responded to one of my posts. I sense you have a kind spirit. Can you give me some pointers fornutritionally handling this disease? You mentioned supplements in your previous post.

    Ketziah

    Please don't take this as advice! This is what I do.
    I would not take the supplements while on chemo, without asking your ONC. To be healed has some great advice. Basically, anything that helps boost the immune system I take or do.

    I only have fruit in the AM. I get up, and have some green tea and sometime a cup of coffee but the green tea and ginger tea is a must as an alternative. I eat a handful of raspberries whenever I have them. I bought the bullet (blender thing), a couple hours later I make a smoothie, I add my fruit, berries, banana, strawberries (although, I read you should not mix acidic fruits with non acidic), kiwi, pineapple, peaches, pears, apples, and a bit of ginger (spicy), or add a carrot, whatever I have on hand but try to mix the fruits throughout the week. I don't juice in the morning because this is my meal. And I add flax seed. I snack on almonds, or dried fruit, yogurt, carrots, salad, or if I am out, I have a cup of french onion soup, tomatoes basil soup, or some fish and veggies. You can't beat wild salmon, asparagus with lemon and a salad with nuts and cranberries. For dinner, we have soup and salad or maybe some chicken, I eat more of the salad then chicken.

    I try to juice veggies in the evening.....spinach, kale, collard greens, bok choy, carrots and an apple and add some turmeric spice.


    AM - After smoothie
    Calcium - 1000, Vitamin D3- 5000, Vit E - 400, Cit C - 1000 baby aspirin, B12 complex drop (2), selenium - 200, a shot of aloe

    Mid day- Supreme Greens Powder dissolved in a 100% juice


    evening: B1, B2, B6, Vitamin C - 1000, selenium 200 and a pro biotic 12,000

    my staples are

    Raspberries, fresh, frozen, or dried
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    100% Cherry, Cranberry, and Raspberry Juice
    Flax seed and powder
    Asparagus, always cook, you can use can too
    ginger fresh
    Spinach fresh
    Kale
    Collard greens
    Bokchoy
    Collard Greens
    cabbage
    Shitaki Mushrooms
    Bell Pepper
    Carrots
    lemons for water and hot water drink
    Soy milk
    Green tea
    Ginger tea
    Turmeric
    sea salt
    NO SUGAR, I have Stevia but I hardly use it
    Garlic
    Onion
    Almonds
    Pecans
    (NO CASHEWS)
    Tangerines to smooth or juice with peels
    oranges
    Apples
    Cherries
    cucumbers
    shelled sunflower seeds for salads
    Pumpkin seeds for snacking, try not to suck on the salt or get unsalted
    Whole wheat, oat or grain bread but I hardly ever eat bread.
    Whole wheat crackers
    cayenne pepper
    stewed tomatoes
    Green Tea kept in the fridge


    Of course everything I get is what is on sale at the time or what I can't do without like the berries. With this list I can eat all day.


    chicken breast and fish in moderation......no eggs for breakfast, now and then I will have an egg in something. NO BEEF, NO PORK

    Now this is just me, and I do not see a dietitian so I would not just do what I do. I researched and this is what I came up with. I juice it, smooth it, eat it raw in a salad or I saute it with olive oil and garlic. Add stewed tomatoes when possible. I keep cooked wheat noodles in the freezer and add to salad when I need more substance, just cut up and toss with salad.

    Hope this makes sense! This is a great site, just click on the links in the article and they will take you to other articles.

    http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/detox/clean.htm