lumpectomy site issues

elm3544
elm3544 Member Posts: 748
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering if anyone had this problem and what was done to correct it. Quick history:
I had my lumpectomy over a year ago. It seems like it never fully healed, always sore and swollen with fluid. In March I noticed a lump just above the incision site. Rad Onc. had me take antibiotics twice, thinking it was infection. Didn't help. Surgeon did biopsy and said it was scar tissue and radiation damage. She said it would heal but instead the lump became a blister on my skin and the whole top half of the breast was red and swollen. In June the incision split open and fluid began literally pouring out. Surgeon drained it and wrapped me. She said she does not want to make any more incisions now because the radiation damage is making it hard for me to heal. Fluid has been constantly dripping or flowing ever since. Couple of days ago the blister became infected and now has disgusting stuff coming out. So I have been having to wear bandages day and night for weeks now. It hurts when I change positions in bed , when I lift my arm, just about any movement I make. I have an apt with the surgeon tomorrow but I have no idea what she will be able to do for me. Anyone had anything like this or have any suggestions?

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    warm compresses
    I am so sorry that you are going through this. That sounds awful.

My dad, a neurologist, treated many, many soldiers in San Francisco during WW2 and was a huge believer in warm, nearly hot compresses for infection. Ask your doctor if it is ok to try (would check with them first because, with the rads, I don't want to make things worse) and then do it 3-4 X day.

The heat can speed healing by causing increased blood flow to the affected region. Remember your blood carries antibodies that are needed to fight the infection.

See how to make warm compresses at: http://www.ehow.com/how_2383738_make-warm-compress.html

See link below for more about skin abscesses:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000863.htm

Please let me know how you are doing. I am praying for you!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    I wish I could help you elm,
    I wish I could help you elm, but, I have no idea what you should do, other than seeing your plastic surgeon. He should know what to do. I've never heard of someone not healing up from a lumpectomy. Let us know what your surgeon says. Good luck!
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748

warm compresses
    I am so sorry that you are going through this. That sounds awful.

My dad, a neurologist, treated many, many soldiers in San Francisco during WW2 and was a huge believer in warm, nearly hot compresses for infection. Ask your doctor if it is ok to try (would check with them first because, with the rads, I don't want to make things worse) and then do it 3-4 X day.

The heat can speed healing by causing increased blood flow to the affected region. Remember your blood carries antibodies that are needed to fight the infection.

See how to make warm compresses at: http://www.ehow.com/how_2383738_make-warm-compress.html

See link below for more about skin abscesses:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000863.htm

Please let me know how you are doing. I am praying for you!

Ok thanks! This sounds like
    Ok thanks! This sounds like a good idea.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Sorry, elm...
    Nothing to add here. Don't blame you, at all, for being concerned & frustrated. Sending very best wishes for a good outcome - answers, better solutions - from your appointment today. Please keep us posted.

Kind regards, Susan
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Oh No
    I wish I could help. Please let us know what happened with the surgeon. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Hugs - Pat
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I had difficulty healing
    I had difficulty healing from DIEP reconstruction procedure. After trying other things, my Dr. used a wound vac along with protein supplements, vitamin C,E, and Zinc supplements. It made a big difference very quickly. You might ask your Dr. about that. You might also consider a second opinion from another Dr. if yours is not helping you get better.

I hope you find the right answers soon. seof