Anyone use a power juicer?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've been wanting one for awhile, every time I see a Jack LaLanne informercial. Does anyone use one? I've been reading a cancer diet book, though its written 20 years ago, and it talks about detoxing the colon and juicing. It also says meat and dairy should not be eaten, but we should only eat a plant based diet. Anyone heard of this? I know I need to eat healthier.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I have a relative that
    I have a relative that believes this but not sure if she still juices.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Laurissa, being that my
    Laurissa, being that my father died of colon cancer, I visit the colorectal board on this site periodically. I don't think I've ever posted but I recall seeing several threads on juicing there. You might want to check it out. Good luck.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Me, me!!!
    Laurissa,

I did a lot of research on nutrition and totally changed my diet.

I am a vegetarian now and I juice every morning. It is a lot of fun!!!
    On the weekend I go to the local farmer's market and load up on
    fresh fruit and anything green and leafy, then the juicing party
    can begin.

I really think toxins make us sick and if I can avoid it in my food
    it's something.

Since I start juicing (3 weeks now), I definitely feel better and the
    weight from the chemo is slowy melting away.

I would recommend juicing, highly.

Ayse
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Yes...
    I bought the Jack LaLanne a couple of years ago and used it for awhile but it is a pain to clean... you have to take it all apart each time you use it. Also, with this machine you lose out on the many nutrients from the skin of the fruit as well. In February, I purchased a Healthmaster which is a powerful blender. It is easy to use and you can put the whole fruit or vegetable in the machine.. it is expensive (around $200) but worth it. Mine broke recently (probably from overuse)and I sent it back for a replacement. I can honestly say I felt much better while I was juicing and was losing weight too. I would highly recommend the Healthmaster.. I bought mine off ebay from Taylor Gifts.....

Dot
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    I have the Jack LaLane
    I have the Jack LaLane Juicer. It's pretty good, although you don't get much juice out of leafy veggies. I bought it in Kohl's on sale and then 15% off. Costco sells big bags of organic carrots. The only thing is keeping up with it. It's kind of like an exercise bicycle; you do it a lot when it's new, but then it kind of just sits there after a while.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    Hubby said:

I have the Jack LaLane
    I have the Jack LaLane Juicer. It's pretty good, although you don't get much juice out of leafy veggies. I bought it in Kohl's on sale and then 15% off. Costco sells big bags of organic carrots. The only thing is keeping up with it. It's kind of like an exercise bicycle; you do it a lot when it's new, but then it kind of just sits there after a while.

Laurissa I too have totally changed my diet to veggies and fruit
    I have been doing this for about a month and have lost 11 pounds. This is my diet plan of action: vitamin D3 (cancer fighter) and calcium, no dairy, switched to almond milk, no sugar or at least drastically reduce your intake as much as possible...sugar feeds cancer cells, pure green tea no sugar (cancer fighter), asparagus and brocolli (major cancer fighters) as well as zuccini, onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, marjoram (cancer fighter), grapes, cherries and whatever other vegetable you like...I just mentioned the main ones. salads with olive oil and lemon or small amount of vinegar, blueberries blackberries and raspberries which are all cancer fighters, whole grain and whole wheat bread only. The only meat I eat is chicken a few times a week but make sure it is organic or says no hormones or steriods added. Salmon also is ok occasionally. Filtered water. 100% fruit juice. I have heard the juicers are healthy but lack some of the fiber and other nutrients from just eating the vegetables entirely. Hope this helps.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Hubby said:

I have the Jack LaLane

My sister has the Jack
    My sister has the Jack LaLane one and likes it. And, like hubby said, she used it a lot at first, and, then just let it sit a lot.

♥ Noel
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Noel said:

My sister has the Jack
    My sister has the Jack LaLane one and likes it. And, like hubby said, she used it a lot at first, and, then just let it sit a lot.

♥ Noel

I love juicing!
    I don't have that brand but have read lots about the value of juicing. Be careful of the amount of sugary fruit you use...or you may be getting too many calaries. Use mostly veggies then sweeten it up with a little fruit. My favorite is carrot, celery and apples or pineapple. Yum. Some use wheat grass but I have a wheat sensitivity. Not sure if that would be a problem but am afraid to risk it. The difference between eating fruit and drinking the juice is that the fiber carries out many of the nutrients. By drinking the juice, we capture the nutrients much more quickly. I was introduced to juicing by a client who has crones disease and keeps it under control by juicing. You can find many recipies online. Enjoy!

Roseann
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    roseann4 said:

I love juicing!
    I don't have that brand but have read lots about the value of juicing. Be careful of the amount of sugary fruit you use...or you may be getting too many calaries. Use mostly veggies then sweeten it up with a little fruit. My favorite is carrot, celery and apples or pineapple. Yum. Some use wheat grass but I have a wheat sensitivity. Not sure if that would be a problem but am afraid to risk it. The difference between eating fruit and drinking the juice is that the fiber carries out many of the nutrients. By drinking the juice, we capture the nutrients much more quickly. I was introduced to juicing by a client who has crones disease and keeps it under control by juicing. You can find many recipies online. Enjoy!

Roseann

I must admit that I have that same juicer and have tried many
    times to make drinks .. Personally, it does work and the juices are great. My problem is that I find that I am spending more time and engery in making a 6 to 8 oz drink - not to mention all the $$$ on fresh veggies.. I am near a 'Mother's nature whole foods' Henry's and 6 whole health vitiam franchises .. so I opt to purchase 'fresh' made for you while you wait .. drinks. Otherwise, I would be making veggie drinks myself.

Juicing is the only way to go!

I did donate my juice maker ..

Vicki Sam
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thanks for comments
    I was wondering the benefits of juicing rather than eating the vege and fruit whole, thanks Roseanne. I have alot of appliances I never use and I don't want this to be one of them, too. I was looking at the Hamilton Beach Big-Mouth model. Not as pricey as Jacks and it has some good reviews.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    laurissa said:

Thanks for comments
    I was wondering the benefits of juicing rather than eating the vege and fruit whole, thanks Roseanne. I have alot of appliances I never use and I don't want this to be one of them, too. I was looking at the Hamilton Beach Big-Mouth model. Not as pricey as Jacks and it has some good reviews.

i changed my diet too
    have sugar and replace it by honey,
    white four, including pasta has been replaced by whole wheat or oat flour in my kitchen.
    I cannot stay vegetarian, I still eat chicken and fish; daily products cheese only.
    I have not eaten pasta, milk and sugar for two years. I prefer vegetables and whole fruits and berries, my husband like juicing more. When I was going through Chemo he made juice very day. Now I have switched to whole pieces since I them more.