Cataracts and cancer treatment

mdkids2001
mdkids2001 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am interested in finding anyone who had cataracts taken care of during chemo treatment. I had cataracts before I started chemo and fear that they are getting worse, though chemo drug affects vision anyway. Eye doc doesn't want to do any kind of cataract surgery while I am taking chemo. Anybody have any helpful comments?
I don't know how to fix the displayed date-the correct date is 7/06/10. Thanks!

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Oncologist said no procedures
    My onc said no other medical procedures of any kind (unless an emergency of course) during chemo. No dentistry, no ear piercing, no manicures even. The white blood counts get too low to fight off infection. Plus, I was already fatigued from chemo -- any other procedures would have "hammered" me further.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Oncologist said no procedures
    My onc said no other medical procedures of any kind (unless an emergency of course) during chemo. No dentistry, no ear piercing, no manicures even. The white blood counts get too low to fight off infection. Plus, I was already fatigued from chemo -- any other procedures would have "hammered" me further.

Chemo is more than
    enough to deal with. No elective surgeries during Chemo. Your ophthalmologist is correct, you need to postponed any surgery to complete Chemo.
    Good luck
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    You might want to talk to
    You might want to talk to your eye doc about eye drops for cataracts. My mom and sister didn't get the surgery but used eye drops. I think it was supposed to help keep it from getting worse. Of course you should also talk to the onc. I don't know what the name of the medication was. I don't think theirs was bad enough for surgery so may be a different situation. They were not on chemo.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Marcia527 said:

You might want to talk to
    You might want to talk to your eye doc about eye drops for cataracts. My mom and sister didn't get the surgery but used eye drops. I think it was supposed to help keep it from getting worse. Of course you should also talk to the onc. I don't know what the name of the medication was. I don't think theirs was bad enough for surgery so may be a different situation. They were not on chemo.

I needed another surgery and
    I needed another surgery and had to delay it until 3 weeks after chemo and they checked my WBC first. too high of an infection risk. You dont want that!!
  • mdkids2001
    mdkids2001 Member Posts: 2
    carkris said:

I needed another surgery and
    I needed another surgery and had to delay it until 3 weeks after chemo and they checked my WBC first. too high of an infection risk. You dont want that!!

cataracts
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I appreciate it. I'll just have to wait to have better vision. Certainly worth the wait to kill all this cancer!